Elddis Odyssey 2008.  Battery drain.  Last year on Solar Power only, I became aware that my battery was getting lower than it should be.  To cut a long story short, with the aid of a "plug in the fuse" amp meter, and a clip on amp meter on the main battery connection, I identified the drain was on the fuse supplying the rear interior lights.  In detail,  all the lights were individually off, but the master rear lighting switch by the main doorway was on, but I got a 1.5 Amp drain, about 18watts.  Switching off the master rear lighting switch and the drain disappeared.  We then resorted to using a torch in the loo!  I replaced some time ago the halogen bulbs with LEDs, so I took them out in case one was faulty in some way, no difference.  The lighting is: washroom overhead; wash basin overhead; wardrobe; shower overhead; lounge rear overhead.  No tracker fitted and the alarm is off another fuse.

As the wiring between the door master rear lighting switch and the various lights disappears into the roof cavity I'm some what stuck.  Any ideas?  The caravan wiring diagram in the hand book is rather vague.

Frustrated retired electrical engineer!

4 minutes ago, ChrisUK said:

Elddis Odyssey 2008.  Battery drain.  Last year on Solar Power only, I became aware that my battery was getting lower than it should be.  To cut a long story short, with the aid of a "plug in the fuse" amp meter, and a clip on amp meter on the main battery connection, I identified the drain was on the fuse supplying the rear interior lights.  In detail,  all the lights were individually off, but the master rear lighting switch by the main doorway was on, but I got a 1.5 Amp drain, about 18watts.  Switching off the master rear lighting switch and the drain disappeared.  We then resorted to using a torch in the loo!  I replaced some time ago the halogen bulbs with LEDs, so I took them out in case one was faulty in some way, no difference.  The lighting is: washroom overhead; wash basin overhead; wardrobe; shower overhead; lounge rear overhead.  No tracker fitted and the alarm is off another fuse.

As the wiring between the door master rear lighting switch and the various lights disappears into the roof cavity I'm some what stuck.  Any ideas?  The caravan wiring diagram in the hand book is rather vague.

Frustrated retired electrical engineer!

have you checked that nothing else is being fed from the same circuit - radio (including the memory feed), tv aerial amplifier, fridge aux supply etc.

1,5amps is quite significant  so there's obviously something drawing current  so you need to find out what it is.

17 hours ago, matelodave said:

have you checked that nothing else is being fed from the same circuit - radio (including the memory feed), tv aerial amplifier, fridge aux supply etc.

1,5amps is quite significant  so there's obviously something drawing current  so you need to find out what it is.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have covered everything by isolating items such as you mention.  They also come off other fuses,  oddly the radio memory comes of the fridge aux supply.  Also with the lighting fuse in place the drain only appears when the entry door switch that overrides the rear lighting, is switch on.  One thing that I have not tried is disconnecting the overhead round circular roof light which has a D florescent tube and its associated electronics, it is switched off at the light but may be the starter is still connected.  I don't think this is the problem as the light will work normally, but I will check it when I can next get to my van is storage. 

I was somewhat surprised when buying a new bailey van, the dealer told me to make sure that I put the temp switch back to off when not using the fridge as that would drain the battery.  Not heard of this before and I've not tested it out either.

It reads as if the 12v is being left switched on.  You need to switch off the 12v otherwise the battery will drain quickly.  Apparently the 12v is used by the fridge even when the fridge is switched off.

Fridges can have a permanent feed even when the master switch is off so the fridge itself should be turned off or if you leave the door ajar over winter the light will drain the battery . I nearly got caught a few weeks ago after a service on my motorhome and the master switch was off and the wife opened the fridge door and the light came on as they had not turned the fridge off itself 

Heating panels have a permanent feed also like the Truma CP plus .

Have you got any roof fans ?

Edited by CommanderDave

the battery drain is supposed to happen after I have turned off the master switch and also turned the fridge off,  but leaving the temp swich to just over half way , say, so as far as I was concerned there would be zero power to the fridge, but the dealer said that if I didn't also set the temp switch to zero , off, then it would drain the battery . I didn't ask any more, just did as I was told. 

In storage everything is off, master switch, Fridge aux fuse etc and no drain, battery lasts several months.  My problem is when I am away in the van.  If I switch the entry door rear light switch on - but no lights selected, I get this drain.  I can only think that I have a wiring fault in the roof cavity.  I'm away on holiday without the van tonight, I will have to have another look when I get back.