Dear All, not sure if the following will help anyone but we hope so.  The story so far.  We own a 2014 Lunar Clubamn SR, not that the Van has ought to do with the problem we have been experiencing.  It did come with a Dometic TALL slim fridge and for want of a better word supposed freezer, the freezer does freeze but I’m guessing you know what I’m alluding too.  In around October last year - 2019 our fridge on the odd occasion would alarm, beeping madly for twenty seconds or so then stopping.  At first I thought (as you would ) that the door was open, so we would open and close it and the alarming would stop, however, as time passed the frequency of alarm got more and more, we tried closing the door, pushing the door, opening and closing the door, some times it would stop and sometimes it would continue on for as long as it had a desire to continue on.  Research he said, I’ll do some research, just to see if others may have experienced the same problem, and lo and behold, YES, it’s a common problem.  Solutions I said, search for solutions and YES, there where some indicators of what may be wrong, some people said it’s condensation on the wires, some said it’s condensation on the light fitting it’s self.  Write to Dometic I thought, so I did, NO ANSWER, so I wrote again, still no answer, I have to say it’s the third time of writing to Dometic only to be ignored, do not bother wasting your time, that’s the first tip, don’t write to Dometic they won’t respond, they are useless.  So I took the control panel off the top of the fridge, the wires were dry, I took the light unit cover off, dry, I wiped every thing, but to no avail, now it was alarming  constantly or when it felt like it, we had a deacon in the fridge, if we put the heating on it would alarm, if we put the cooker on it would alarm,  I thought gas issue, no idea why I thought that, we tried it on electric, ALARM,we tried it back on gas, then on 240v, then on 12v then on gas again, it alarmed in the night, it alarmed whilst we watched tv, it ******* alarmed at will.  I started to Talk Ro it, I begged it to let us sleep, yes yes I know what you’re thinking turn it off, we had stuff in it, I decided to call Keith caravan fitter at our caravan dealer in desperation, and he said, “no idea” I laughed hysterically.   I can’t be the only one I said, he said take a look at the door latch it may have a micro switch in it, so I did, no micro switch that I could see, still nothing from Dometic,  however, whilst checking the latch I happened to observe that the catch was, wait for it, slightly at the minutest of angle, possibly as a result of the latch catching the catch as it closed, so I straightened it up, undid two screws and squared it, guess what, we slept all night to the tune of yes you have it. NOTHING, silence, no alarm, no sound from the fridge.  So remember if your fridge starts alarming when it shouldn’t, don’t bother trying to get an answer for the manufacture Dometic, take a look at the CATCH first.  It might just be squiffy a bit like me as I celebrated a good nights sleep.  We truly hope this helps unlike those that work for Dometic.

we are currently in Spain it’s the end of January and hot, we have ice in the freezer and the G&T are very tasty, it’s been 20 degrees today, here in sunny Benidorm. 

regards all

• Like 2

Try leaving the wires for the light disconnected if that work’s then put silicone grease or Vaseline on the connection. 

John.

A lot of fridges don't have a microswitch but either a reed switch fitted somewhere in the door surround operated by a magnet in the door or as in my case with a light sensor which turns the fridge light on when it detects ambient light when the fridge door is opened.

On 29/01/2020 at 17:07, jwa said:

Try leaving the wires for the light disconnected if that work’s then put silicone grease or Vaseline on the connection. 

John.

Hi thanks for the response, but I fixed the problem simply by straightening the door catch, simple, nothing to do with condensation or micro switch’s or greeting anything up

On 29/01/2020 at 17:49, matelodave said:

A lot of fridges don't have a microswitch but either a reed switch fitted somewhere in the door surround operated by a magnet in the door or as in my case with a light sensor which turns the fridge light on when it detects ambient light when the fridge door is opened.

Thanks ours has the same light sensor, problem fixed though by straightening the door catch pin, simple

• Thanks 1

Well I for one will thank you for this information :-)

We do get the the alarm sounding...but rarely.