Sign in to follow this  
Sea&Sand

Sheared Cranked Hinge

Bought a cranked hinge from Bailey\Prima Leisure to replace one that had sheared, the replacement sheared also and after only 5 days of total use, the cupboard that the hinge was fitted to is used very rarely (storage cupboard opposite sink - GT65 Ancona).

Contacted Prima Leisure and had a very quick response asking for a photo of the broken hinge; photo sent and I was subsequently informed that a new hinge is in the post.

I am happy with the Prima Leisure response and give a special mention to Millie in Customer Services.

979603284_BrokenHinge.thumb.jpg.921aed7c5eb51a4040a264b0162c0eb5.jpg

Edited by Sea&Sand
Spelling Edit

Try to check that there no stress in the other hinges to cause the fracture - and check that the frame doesn't impede the door opening.

Hi BG,

There are only 2 hinges on this door, the frame does not impede the opening of the door.

I cannot see any stress marks on the remaing hinge but they are rather flimsy to say the least, time will tell  how long the new one will last.

Edited by Sea&Sand

Looks like a fold of the mattress or cushion has been trapped in the opening door.  That might have allowed the door enough force to pull the hinge apart.

A far better response than I got from Bailey for an identical hinge! 

See This thread

Andy 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

A far better response than I got from Bailey for an identical hinge! 

See This thread

Andy 

Yes I read that thread Andy, I did consider commenting on my wee hinge problem in your thread, but I did not want to interupt.

Initially I looked around for a more robust replacement to Bailey's cranked hinge and preferably brass or stainless, I could not find hinges having the same crank far less the same dimensions as the OEM Bailey hinge.

I don't suppose anyone has a link to a more robust, and in Andy's case, a non rusting hinge.

2 hours ago, hawkaye said:

Looks like a fold of the mattress or cushion has been trapped in the opening door.  That might have allowed the door enough force to pull the hinge apart.

Nope, nothing got beteen the door and the cabinet frame, last trip out I was the one who checked the stowed items in the cupboard before departure, both hinges were in tact.    On arriving at site some 1.5 hours later I was the first person to open said cupboard door and found the hinge had sheared, faulty batch of hinges perhaps, whatever, the hinge sheared whilst the caravan was in transit, there is not a lot of metal at the shear area, metal fatigue and\or bad metal batch is most likely cause.

It certainly didn't shear because of rust corrosion :P.

Sorry to hear you are unhinged. You could probably pick up some spares the same as that in B&Q or Wickes. They may well be a bit stronger.

• Like 1

Very odd-must be a stress being introduced there somewhere as our Bailey's hinges were perfect after 2.5 years of very regular use-weird. Does it open and shut freely?

25 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Sorry to hear you are unhinged. You could probably pick up some spares the same as that in B&Q or Wickes. They may well be a bit stronger.

As I mentioned earlier they are difficult to find in the same size with the crank pattern that Bailey uses, B&Q - No, Screwfix - No, Toolstation - No;   online I could only find http://www.w4limited.com/ they do cost less than Prima Leisure but they look like they are no more robust than the OEM part, happy to be corrected on that last comment.

17 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Very odd-must be a stress being introduced there somewhere as our Bailey's hinges were perfect after 2.5 years of very regular use-weird. Does it open and shut freely?

The door opens and closes freely JezzerB and is free from stressors, the original hinge lasted more than 6 years, looking at the door that has the sheared hinge I cannot help but think that it would benefit from a third hinge fitted above the centre point of the door.

I am guessing that the replacement hinge that failed so very prematurely was a faulty component.

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • Like 1

I had same issue in my Madrid TV cupboard door. One hinge broke, replaced it and then the other then failed. Found some exactly the same as originals on eBay - half the price of Prima. Had no further problems so may have been a faulty original batch.