Supatramp

2018/19 Pamplona

Has anyone got one of these? How do you like it? Pros and cons?

There seem to be quite a few new/old stock about, didn't they sell well?  I've looked at the new Black editions, but the photos of the 2018/19 vans look nicer.  Plus a saving in cost!! lol

Thanks in anticipation, all comments appreciated.  By the way, the single-axle Cabrera is discounted as I would want an inboard tank.

We have a 2018 Cabrera with a water wizard fitted tank! It’s fully electronically controlled with solenoid valves and is now in its 3rd van. Made by Capricorn controls in Banbury. A twin axle for us is too long, too heavy and excluded from several continental campsites. We like the layout, slide the bed back during the day. The layout works for us.

If you can cope with the size and weight of the Pamplona then the main difference apart from the onboard tank is you get more room in washroom area.  And a bigger fridge.

I have a 2018 Pamplona, we find the layout ideal as a 2 berth, and OK when we have guests!!!! They sold very well, I thought it was the best selling model.  We have had twin axles for some years now and this layout is proving to be the best. We have the early model with the drop down bed end. But, we never drop it down, its not necessary for us. Don't listen to the anti twin axle brigade, we tour Europe around 160 days per year, with minimal issues, just plan ahead. I have only been refused access to a site once in France and that was a Municipal. 

• Like 1

FWIW we have a 2019 Cartagena, looked at 2020 black series Cartagena at Oct NEC show and thought it's essentisly  just the same just a few minor cosmetic changes that don't add anything of substance.

We love our Cartagena.

Edited by TenStar
Typo

with regards to not selling well, last two years have been generally poor for new caravan sales generally, so this isn't a fair reflection on the Pamplona specifically 

Thanks folks for your comments, very interesting. 

I looked at the new Black Edition Pamplona, but it was just before lockdown appeared, and so have been unable to do anything about it since.

What has put me off Baileys is, imho, the daft decision to do away with the front lockers.  I know that there is a dedicated locker for the gas bottles, but where to put the water container, levelling ramps, etc.  From memory, the inside of the nearside front locker/underside nearside front bed, has a plastic covered floor.  Does this cover the whole of the space, or only what is accessible from the locker door?

TIA

• Like 1

It's actually the vinyl flooring that is throughout the van, so covers the entire floor.  I personally think the lack of a front locker as a benefit, because all the load is over the axle. We carry our Aquaroll and Wasteroll in the shower... Also over the axle

• Like 1

WE never missed the lack of front locker in our PEgasus-we now have a Bucanneer and don't find the front locker of any more use than having the gas in a dedicated locker-where i kept toilet fluids. Hoses etc and mallet were stored flat in the front and rear side lockers both of which were plastic lined with drain holes so were 'wet' lockers. Great design and it was  a rock solid tow with no atc. 

Posted (edited)

We've not had a front locker since we changed to our U1 Unicorn about eight years ago when it had two small side ones which were reasonably useful. Our U3 doesn't have either front or the small side lockers of the U1  and we don't have a problem storing stuff.

There's plenty of room in our side gas locker for all the stuff we need, two gas cylinders if necessary but usually only one Gaslight 10kg together with our Cadac Safai Chef, toilet fluids, 10m water hose.

The other stuff goes in the front side locker which is fitted with a plastic tray (under the seat)

The wastemaster and aquaroll have always been stowed in the bathroom, even when we did have a van with a front locker. TBH the front locker just became a bit of a mess of bits & pieces and we dont miss having one at all.

But as usual it depends on what you are used to, or what you feel is important.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

It probably comes down to the fact that when you have to find somewhere else to put things the answer suddenly becomes obvious. The lack of a front locker does put me off though. When we had an Avondale, which also had the gas further back they still left you a small locker which helped.

When looking over the Pamplona, I didn't actually look in the dedicated gas bottle locker.  So is there room there for more than the 2 bottles?

I hadn't thought of storing the  water and waste containers in the shower, good idea.  Although at the moment I store my water connector hoses, including the long one for use on superpitches there.

The gas locker is enough for 2 bottles and some bits and bobs ie hoses can easily fit down the sides of them-if you only carry one gas bottle as we did there is as  room to spare for more-we had loo fluids spare water carriers to fill the loo and one or two bits ie silicon spray etc in there -never an issue-it is just a case of repackaging!