Sign in to follow this  
colin h

French sites.

We are in the process of booking a couple of sites for our stop off en route to Port Grimaud. One site near Bourges, campsite Robinson states no twin axles which appears to come up quite regularly in France. Is this correct or just a deterrent for traveller gypsies

Any personal experience of this.

Edited by colin h

Some campsites mean the one reason and some another. You can only e mail them and ask. 

You really need to email the sites and ask! Some we use will not accept twin axles at all!

If you have a problem try Camping La Grande Sologne at Nouan Le Fuzelier its just off the A71 on the 2020 Large campsite around a lake  we stop here on our travels South definately seen twin wheelers on site.

Its about 25 miles north of Robinson.When leaving A71 aat J3 follow signs for Nouan Le Fuzelier on 2020 my sat nav tries to take me on a short cut!!! Campsite is signed easy access  for large vans. ACSI number 1983

We’ve only been questioned once at a Muni at Beaumont sur Sarthe . Once Madame saw we weren’t Nomadic Parasites she was happy to let us in. 

Having spoken to a couple of site operators (one being a municipal site) the ‘ban” on twin axle vans is to enable them to turn away “certain members” of the caravanning fraternity. I will leave you to work out exactly which members!

Some sites ban twin axles simply because when being manoeuvred on wet grass they have a tendency to tear the ground up.

As others have said some operators treat it as a totally inflexible rule, and others use it a “useful” option if required. As to which sites operate which system your guess is as good as mine. The majority seem to work on the “Well you don’t LOOK like (insert suitable description here) so we will allow you in. 

Some sites will not permit caravans being towed by Transit type vans either (for similar/the same  reason) 

Unless you are travelling in peak peak season there is no need to pre-book a campsite, there’s enough of them that should you find one is full there will be another reasonably close. In addition a lot of sites will often squeeze you in a corner if it’s just for an overnight stop (but you might not get hook up) 

Andy

Edit

“ Nomadic parasite” I like that terminology :)

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

We were turned away from a site in Gien, France with a twin axle motorhome. I have no doubt what so ever the motorhome would have fit on the pitches. Their loss, we stayed on the free aire provided by the council!

Russ

1 minute ago, KontikiKid said:

We were turned away from a site in Gien, France with a twin axle motorhome. I have no doubt what so ever the motorhome would have fit on the pitches. Their loss, we stayed on the free aire provided by the council!

Russ

That would have been the “Twin axles churn up the ground” scenario then. Having witnessed it happen with a tag axle motorhome I can understand the site operators unwillingness to allow similar vehicles on site.

Andy

We shared a site at St Pourcain sur Sioule with 7 or 8 caravans of travelling people - of Liverpool Irish background I think.  Being worldly wise they had all carefully equipped themselves with single axle caravans to avoid potential refusals. 

• Like 1

When we had a twin axle many years ago, most sites stated no twin axles, but if we booked the sites through the cc they allowed us on, when we arrived we saw the signs on their entrance boards stating no twin axles but when we checked in we asked why, their reply was the same as Mr Plodd  (Andy) mentioned.. 

We stayed on a site in Transhumance  which during our stay had their roads re-surfaced after the work had been completed, the next day over 25 twin axles turned up in the next field to us, (some with UK reg plates too) we were given the privilege of all night loud music and all sorts of happenings going on in the toilets, we were concerned to leave our vans so stayed on site until they left. 

Un-be known to us, but a motor home arrived during our stay  who turned out to be cc oversea's inspectors who were not given a very welcoming reception by the owners, until they went the next day with their cc uniforms on and clip boards, they even came over to us and introduced themselves and asked us about our experience of the site. needless to say the following year they were no longer in the oversea's site brochure. 

Edited by kiaboy
Spelling

In 30 years we have only been refused twice. Both were council sites run by  inflexible rules.

Otherwise, even if there are signs, we still enquire and no problem. "It doesn't apply to you" is the normal answer!

Most continental caravans including big 2 tonne ones like mine are on a single axle, it's only really the travelling community that buy twin axles ones which tend to be over 7m body length. Unfortunately even though they are relatively lightweight and not that big many UK caravans are on a TA set up. The French campsite owner can't put up a sign saying 'No TA Travellers but Brit TA are ok'. I'd phone and ask.

We stayed on a site in Normandy which refused twin axles. The very nice owner explained it was to keep travellers off. They are not allowed to ban travellers.

He had had issues with them previously, not paying and making a mess hence the ban.

He did allow  twin axles by prior arrangement, usualy from UK or Germany.

Some sites just don't want twins because the lanes and pitches are so tight with trees and posts and people park anywhere unlike our sites that have more space .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks guys, We have phoned and all ok...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, colin h said:

We are in the process of booking a couple of sites for our stop off en route to Port Grimaud. One site near Bourges, campsite Robinson states no twin axles which appears to come up quite regularly in France. Is this correct or just a deterrent for traveller gypsies

Any personal experience of this.

You could try the municipal almost in the centre of the town at Mehun about 6 miles NW of Bourges on the road to Verizon. It is only open mid-year and is not really much more than a maintained grass field with tall trees but it has good modern facilities, EHU, and is not expensive. Mehun is a pleasant but small town, and for interest just to the north are the twin masts of the Allouis LW transmitter which is the geographical centre of France. Sadly it no longer transmits broadcast programmes but as it is one of the world's frequency standard transmitters it is still operative as ALS162 (being on 162KHz.)

If you have a SWMBO she may (you may not) like to know that Mehun is the home of Pillivuyt (pron. pilly-veet) porcelain and that have an excellent factory shop where they also sell seconds (not that you would be able to tell in most cases) by weight!!

There is also a very nice municipal at Crézancy en Sancerre about 20 miles NE of Bourges. You do need to book ahead as it has a height barrier on the gate. You will also need a bit of French as the manager, Natalie, does not speak English. Only 10 pitches two of which are for tents only, but each pitch is about 10m square bounded by hedges and it is relatively cheap. It is on the base of an old railway station so is very firm level ground and drains well if it rains. Superb facilities (I understand they have just be renewed) and 10A EHU. Sancerre (about 6 miles) is a (mainly white) wine centre and a very attractive hilltop town. Worth more than a single night stay, believe me.

Sancerre is a VERY nice white wine indeed!!

Andy

• I do not understand 1