Sign in to follow this  
dave56

Insure my caravan-Ceta Insurance

Hi there all. Getting my new van (2019 model) soon and looking again for insurance. Can't cope with the Al-Ko Secure lock any more so it is hard to find companies that are less stringent on locks etc. With the CMC  caravan cover at the moment but is no longer insurance and expensive. I have come across "Insure my caravan" which is Ceta Insurance with very reasonable premiums. Also Saga seem ok. Has anyone experience of these two? You don't know how good they are until you claim!!  The Milenco Wraith  seems a good lock and easy to fit but no discounts for using this anywhere?   Many thanks. David.

I have been looking at new insurance, the cheaper quotes are USA companies or ones with poor reviews. I have just had a reasonable quote from the C&CC, you don't have to be a member, Underwriters are Ageas.

Give them a ring, their website is a disaster!

Edited by Fortyfoot

Look at CaravanGuard. Based in Halifax so speak proper English, helpful, and always competitive. I would be hard pushed to go elsewhere.

Having said that look at LV= as well. They took over Frizzell who used to do the insurance part of Red Pennant a few years ago so they may well still have the know-how. Based in Bournemouth so also speak English, and they have a very good reputation for settlement and sorting things out. Their vehicle breakdown cover is as good as you can get and well cheaper than the top players. Oh, and if you have another insurance with them you get discount on both.

• Thanks 1

Most insurance companies will cover you without using an Alko wheel lock for an additional premium. You just need to know how much that additional premium is AND if they require any another specific security measure (such as a different wheel lock like the Wraith) 

The way insurers want carvanners to use Alko wheel locks, to my mind at least, certainly shows just how good they consider them to be. 

With a motor mover fitted an Alko lock is pretty easy to fit. But of course if you have mobility/bending down issues thats of no benefit.  Could your travelling companion (if you have one) fit an Alko lock for you perhaps??

Andy

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Most insurance companies will cover you without using an Alko wheel lock for an additional premium. You just need to know how much that additional premium is AND if they require any another specific security measure (such as a different wheel lock like the Wraith) 

The way insurers want carvanners to use Alko wheel locks, to my mind at least, certainly shows just how good they consider them to be. 

Not aware of that with Caravan Club insurance I have.

18 minutes ago, David 38 said:

But have you asked them??

In my post I did say most, not all! 

Andy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

But have you asked them??

In my post I did say most, not all! 

Andy

Just looked at blank proposal form on web for new policies and it does indeed offer a discount for the Alko and a couple of other makes.

When I took my cover out can't recall if it mentioned it then, but of course should I ever come across a s/h one at a reasonable price and buy I will ask for the discount.

(Of course a lot of you saying they are hard to fit, and my present one is easy.)

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

Look at CaravanGuard. Based in Halifax so speak proper English, helpful, and always competitive. I would be hard pushed to go elsewhere.

As far as I can see they use RSA as underwriters, have a look here.

The C&CC use Ageas, info here.  I got a quote of £150 from C&CC for my van without naming security devices, I will check them out and get back to them and see if it improves their quote.

Edited by Fortyfoot
Update

22 minutes ago, Fortyfoot said:

As far as I can see they use RSA as underwriters, have a look here.

The C&CC use Ageas, info here.  I got a quote of £150 from C&CC for my van without naming security devices, I will check them out and get back to them and see if it improves their quote.

They might use RSA but <you> don't deal with them, only with CaravanGuard. If they have problems they will doubtless find another underwriter.

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

cc Insurance used to offer a discount if you used the Alko wheel lock - simple not to take the discount if you don't use it.

• Thanks 1

My philsophy- insurance is basically a way to take your money-so I always go for the cheapest every day-and naive or not hope never to claim.  Doesn't matter how good they are on a claim if you don't do it-do everything in your power not to!

Hi There All. Thanks so much for the help.Being a cautious person,I will probably go with a well known name! David.

• Thanks 1

I had a look at the new insurance from Ripe. The quote came out very reasonable and I might have been interested but then I checked the policy documents. Claims are dealt with by Davies Group so I checked their reviews. Eek! The vast majority were one star out of five and one star had only been given because you have to give at least one star to post a review. One person had given them five stars for being the worst claim handlers. So there you go, it allways pays to check the small print!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

My philsophy- insurance is basically a way to take your money-so I always go for the cheapest every day-and naive or not hope never to claim.  Doesn't matter how good they are on a claim if you don't do it-do everything in your power not to!

Having worked in insurance all my life I can assure you that you are wrong. Yes you do have to follow the conditions, but you have to ask yourself why your quote is probably a third of the most expensive.

None of the insurers are making huge profits so the reduced premiums have to be clawed back somewhere and as claims are the biggest single spend, they are almost certainly where the savings will be made at your expense. There are odd bargains out there, but I doubt it will ever be the cheapest quote.

A simple example of how it works is you have a write off and the engineer who examines the caravan says it is worth £10,000. The better companies will simply offer you £10,000, the cheapest will offer something like £9,000  eventually, and if you query it fight you for every penny extra.

Looking at the CETA website it looks more like a price comparison service, giving you a number of companies quotes, although I have not tried the full quote procedure.

• Thanks 1

we have just had to do an emergency search for insurance as our previous insurer Ceta refused to insure us since we moved storage to a cheaper option (a working farm along with security and other caravans and motorhomes) ,however from reading this site recommendations we tried Frank Pickles and they came through for us after having tried several other companies and being refused due to the storage location being a secure working farm.  

7 minutes ago, avondale4 said:

.... from reading this site recommendations we tried Frank Pickles....

Sign in to follow this