Lee E

Advice needed on new Acadia 860

Hi All

Haven't ploted in a good while but we are really considering changing our current vision 580/5 to the new 8 foot wide Acadia 860. 

We love the layout, need a caravan to house 4 adult sized people now the kids are in their teens and when they eventually fly the coop we would like to keep it for ourself as a very spacious couples van.

Does anyone have any advice re how easy it is to tow both a twin axle and an 8foot wide van (i have never towed this size/axle before). Also any advice generally about the acadia? Is it worth the money/good van etc? Would anyone recommend a different company with a similar layout?

Thanks in anticipation

Lee

Check the external body length - it's not given on their website but must be close to the 7m limit - if it's over 7m a truck over 3500kg is required to tow it

Good to know -. Many thanks. That did not even enter into my considerations!

Just checked and 'shipping length' is 7895mm. This includes the a frame which acording to a quick google on gov website is not included. I think it will be then 'just' legal but to be sure I think i will contact Coachman to ask them directly.

Thanks again.

Lee

Edited by Lee E

According to Towcar.info the body length is 6.79m.

Edited by Fat Albert

The internal length is 6265mm so the overall external body length will be well under the 7.0 metres and is definitely 'street legal' and with an MTPLM of 1870 kg can be towed by any vehicle that weighs in around 2000 kg.  

Thanks for the replies. Towing with a santa fe - kerbweight just over 2T. MTPLM of the van is given as 1872 which is a little high for me ratiowise. I will be getting the ATC fitted for extra safety.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lee E said:

Thanks for the replies. Towing with a santa fe - kerbweight just over 2T. MTPLM of the van is given as 1872 which is a little high for me ratiowise. I will be getting the ATC fitted for extra safety.

Cheers

Lee

Hope your Santa Fe is an Auto !

Sadly no it is a manual. Tougher on the clutch but the autos pull max 2T whereas the manual pulls 2.5.

Having towed both I find that TAs are a more stable tow than the single axles. The TA seems more ‘planted’ and doesn’t bob about so much , also less prone to being affected when passing large vehicles on the motorway. 

The 8 foot wide van is only a few inches wider than the normal van so as long as you put wider mirror stalks on your towing mirrors you’ll be fine if you’re a competent tower. 

We towed our 1900kg Conqueror with a 14 plate Sorento. Absolutely no dramas at all but for me I felt there wasn’t enough weight difference to be completely comfortable so we now use my company Navara , that way we can carry almost everything in the back of the truck when we travel.

WE have gone from a single axle std to an 8ft wide twin axle Bucanneer-you have to be aware of the extra width and length but honestly it is stable and not a lot of difference-width it isn't much on either side tbh. Are there any UK made caravans that are over the legal length for a normal ie car/van outfit-??? Never seen that argument anywhere-continental vans,maybe ?

1 hour ago, Jezzerb said:

WE have gone from a single axle std to an 8ft wide twin axle Bucanneer-you have to be aware of the extra width and length but honestly it is stable and not a lot of difference-width it isn't much on either side tbh. Are there any UK made caravans that are over the legal length for a normal ie car/van outfit-??? Never seen that argument anywhere-continental vans,maybe ?

Bailey Retreat

• Like 1

This was intended as a seasonal van, and Bailey would transport it to a pitch for you.  But as you say mahoosive-never seen that one-nearly 9m long!!! Wow. In between a tourer and static-you learn something everyday!

This was intended as a seasonal van, and Bailey would transport it to a pitch for you.  But as you say mahoosive-never seen that one-nearly 9m long!!! Wow. In between a tourer and static-you learn something everyday!

17 hours ago, Lee E said:

Sadly no it is a manual. Tougher on the clutch but the autos pull max 2T whereas the manual pulls 2.5.

You can pull away on an incline or reverse it up an incline with ease with an Auto, not so easy doing the same with almost 2000 kg and a manual. Plus remember it is not only what you are towing but what is loaded inside the tow car, i.e. people plus all the heavy stuff in the boot.

Anyway all the best to you in your choice. 

Alan

• Like 2

Not sure if I’m allowed to promote any Facebook Groups on here, but there is an excellent Coachman Group called UK Coachman Owners and Friends - you would find it useful.

Admin please delete if not allowed - I don’t run the group, just a member. 

Glen.

I have the same on order, hopefully collecting April. I am a little concerned over the width, but putting it another way it is only 6 inches (3 each side) wider than current van and that's the way I am thinking about it. Our first trip away with it will hopefully be at Easter from York to Malvern. If you are genuinely interested in the layout of the 860 I would look at the various dealer specials for the Acadia range as well. As for a twin axle, I have to say I prefer it alot more stable when towing. 

Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

Lee