Sign in to follow this  
blondchaser

Clocked Cars

Most cars nowadays have digital milometers, so how can you tell if a car has been clocked  ??? Can the computer memory be cleared??

In days of old, with proper milometers, it was possible to detect, or at least suspect clocking if any of the numbers were very slightly out of line.

There are the usual wear and tear indicators.

You can check electronic dealer service history and MOT history.

On some models you can tell if the mileage or speedo has been changed as it leaves a digital signature readable by OBD if you have the correct software.

It's harder with modern electronic dashboards - but there's usually hidden counters only accessible by manufacturer's diagnostic systems.

In my mis-spent youth, it was easy on Vauxhalls to disassemble the mechanical counters and reassemble in a different order - probably took longer than crooked dealers  but no misalignment.

I believe that BMW store it on the key, so the service desk can simply read the key when you check your car in.

This case https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/22/man-74-was-shot-with-crossbow-as-he-fixed-satellite-dish-court-told indicates that some cars hold (and report to the manufacturer) much more data than you might think.

In my youth our local garage had an attachment on the side of their Bench Grinder that they used to attach a speedo to to wind it backwards!

Cheers

Keith

• Haha 1

As a university student, my flatmate was interested in a second opinion on a mini he wanted to buy.

It looked lovely, with 35,000-ish miles on the odo.  Then I started looking through the paperwork.  The mileage at the MOT was also 35,000.-ish  And the MOT before that.  It seems the odo was broken inside, and never went over to 36,000 - just to 35,999 then back to 35,000.

15 minutes ago, Will deBeast said:

It looked lovely, with 35,000-ish miles on the odo.  Then I started looking through the paperwork.  The mileage at the MOT was also 35,000.-ish  And the MOT before that.  It seems the odo was broken inside, and never went over to 36,000 - just to 35,999 then back to 35,000.

I had a Mk3 Cortina that never increased the 1,000's over 40,000.

20 to 30 years ago I used to buy a New Tax Free Car (NATO Forces) every 6 months. Very often they would be sold with 'guaranteed buy back' but the maximum mileage I could do to get the guaranteed price was always quite low. Now I'm not saying that I did but disconnecting the speedo drive for a few thousand miles might have been something that I might have/could have done. :ph34r:

Simple you always accept the mileage is wrong and take no notice of it and just check everything is in reasonable condition .

When I used to buy cars from the Japanese auctions it was known every vehicle was clocked as it is not illegal there and you might find  service documents far high kilometers in the glovebox .

Even wear can be covered by new pedal rubbers and drivers carpet or good clean and seats .

Clocking is a lot more difficult today as everything is recorded online like service records by manufacturers when servicing and MOT .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

To some degree “clocking” is no longer such a heinous thing as it was years ago when an engine needed a de-coke at 30K miles, a rebore at 60K and, when it reached 90K, was basically only good for scrap.

Most modern engines (especially diesels) will do 175-200K miles without needing any remedial work PROVIDING the oil and filter are changed regularly.

The above DOESN'T mean I would be happy to find any car I buy had been clocked though! 

The Internet is awash with people offering “mileage re-alignment”  services, so it clearly DOES still happen a fair bit, but probably now to older vehicles once the owners stop using main agents to service them (so there is no manufacturers database record of mileage covered) 

VERY  interesting reading about the (alleged) murderers movements being stored on JLR’s computer system isn’t it. Even MORE scary is the fact that the data recorded even shows the time that the tailgate was opened and closed, You (well certainly I)  have to question why JLR consider it necessary to record such minute  detail don’t you?? How long before factory fitted dashcams provide THAT data to manufacturers (or insurance companies!)

There are sensors in seats to determine if they are occupied (to trigger air bags if necessary) Perhaps  couples need to be aware of the possibility it might be able to identify if TWO people are “occupying” a single  rear seat, especially during the hours of darkness at a “remote” location.

Could be “useful” in any marriage dispute eh ;)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

It is becomming more prevelant due to cars being on PCP contracts with big penalties if you go over an agreed mileage.

I know several people who have their car "Serviced" on a yearly basis  to keep the mileage in check prior to its ac tual service

2 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

It is becomming more prevelant due to cars being on PCP contracts with big penalties if you go over an agreed mileage.

I know several people who have their car "Serviced" on a yearly basis  to keep the mileage in check prior to its ac tual service

Ooo sneaky!!

Hadn't even thought of THAT angle, makes sense though doesn’t it? 

Andy

In 2018 we bought a Shogun with low mileage and a supposedly service history only to find out later that the service history was very dubious.  I did not chase the dealer that sold us the vehicle as I did not think they were at fault.  

When we traded in the Shogun a few months later for the current Jeep I checked first with the dealership on it service history which was confirmed plus I was given all previous service invoices and repairs done on the Jeep. 

In addition, we got a "warranty" with the vehicle which we had to use twice and they paid out.  Lastly we were able to buy a 3 year service plan for the Jeep and no issues as it had a full Jeep service history at a Jeep dealership.

5 hours ago, AndyPoole said:

There was a TV documentary a few months ago about that very subject.   Apparently they have the mileage adjusted before the vehicle goes back to the company (having exceeded the agreed mileage) and before it has its service and first MOT, so no tell-tale left on record.

On my Fiat Ducato motorhome for the first 250 miles the clock can be reset back to zero but it can only be done once .

Dave

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

On my Fiat Ducato motorhome for the first 250 miles the clock can be reset back to zero but it can only be done once .

Dave

Many cars are built like that - the dealer can zeroise any miles incurred during delivery from the factory.

5 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Many cars are built like that - the dealer can zeroise any miles incurred during delivery from the factory.

You would think that would be in contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act wouldn’t you??  As in you are buying car with zero mikes in the clock that has (possibly) been thrashed down the motorway. Having said that I don’t think many cars are delivered OTHER than on a transporter these days.

Clearly it isn’t or the practice would have been stopped a long time ago.

Andy

When I buy a car, I assume the speedo to be wrong. I judge the rest of the car.

In answer to the OP, yes digital dashboards can be cleared/reset/have their readings altered.

Online checks of MOT history will help quantify the vehicle mileage.

Russ

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

You would think that would be in contravention of the Trade Descriptions Act wouldn’t you??  As in you are buying car with zero mikes in the clock that has (possibly) been thrashed down the motorway. Having said that I don’t think many cars are delivered OTHER than on a transporter these days.

Clearly it isn’t or the practice would have been stopped a long time ago.

Andy

... not for dealer swaps, where a dealer has a customer looking for a specific car, which is in stock with another dealer, and the swaps the car for one of his stock cars...

50 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

... I don’t think many cars are delivered OTHER than on a transporter these days...

When I worked in Ipswich, we would often see Volvos being driven at very high speed from Felixstowe port to Ipswich.  That was in the pre-Ford days though, and I doubt it still happens.

I would often Talk volvo owners who were so proud of their efforts to run their cars in  at moderate speed - simply not aware that their car had probably already done 100+mph.

Don't know, but Fords of Winsford have been done for selling cars with milometers being docked just a couple of months ago.  Won't be going there

Some years back I used to run all sorts of vehicles around the country on trade plates. I regularly picked up brand new vehicles from the docks, it wasn’t unusual to run them hundreds of miles, before they got to a dealer to be sold as ‘delivery mileage only. ‘ If a customer wanted a certain model, colour or options, but the dealer didn’t need a truck full, it was the cheapest way to get the car to them. 

Most of us used to drive like maniacs as we got paid per job. I certainly did, with not a thought for the future of the vehicle. 

Relevant on this forum, I’ve taken a good few chassis cabs into leisure vehicle builders too. 

I know it still happens. 

9 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Don't know, but Fords of Winsford have been done for selling cars with milometers being docked just a couple of months ago.  Won't be going there

DO you have any links?  I didn't find any using google.

Following on from Andy's post I used to own a troublesome 52 plate S60. It had a habit of throwing up all sorts of errors. I ended up having to have the CEM changed.

I got to see some of the info held on VADIS when the Tec downloaded it. Now bear in mind this was a 2002 car, it gave the direction, speed and coordinates of where I was when the fault flagged up.

Telematics are being used now more and more for all sorts of investigation and they come free with most new cars!!

Edited by Jiffy176

9 hours ago, AndyPoole said:

I used to know a bloke who would do this, he had the car clocked between every service - he had it on a 12kpa PCP but did 24k in it, he’d clock it half way - always a risk that if he had an issue it would have covered almost no miles since the last service but it didn’t really bother him...