Windscreen wipers - squeaking

I find that after just a few months wear my wiper blades seem to squeek or bounce across the windscreen, the noise is annoying, I change then at least every 18 months because of this.

I have tried autoglym fast glass, other windscreen glass cleaners, washing up liquid, even methylated spirit was suggested.

What I can't seem to fathom is why the wiper blades are like it and whether there is anything I can do to resolve them squeaking like they do?

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

Use vinegar and 0000 grade stainless steel wool.  Best done when the glass is dry.  Also, use a quality screenwash.  It's worth cleaning the rubber blades too.

• I do not understand 1

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

Würth used to do a glass mousse that cleaned better than anything else but I’ve not seen it around for a couple of years.

Cheers

Keith

We have always used Autoglym and wipers still judder.  I have tried cleaning windscreen with meths and newspaper and then Autoglym but still makes no difference. 

Not sure if it a myth of not but was told many years ago that if your wipers fail, cut a potato in half and rub it on the windscreen.  The other method was to urinate on the windscreen. 

I am wondering if using the potato method would help to stop the juddering.  The other method is not recommended in a civilised country like the UK.  LOL!

You don't stand on the bonnet!  Pee in a bucket and then scrub the glass with the washing up sponge.

• Haha 2

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

2 minutes ago, joanie said:

I also read that you can use silicone  spray as a lubricant on your wipers

Absolutely NOT !!!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, joanie said:

https://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshield-Wiper-Blades-from-Squeaking

I also read that you can use silicone  spray as a lubricant on your wipers

Only use silicone spray on your wiper blade rubbers if you enjoy peering through a smeared windscreen, especially at night. 😲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

They squeak because the rubber/silicone has been degraded and gone hard (which is proved by the fact new ones DONT squeak, so it it has to be the blades not the screen) 

I have found the best solution to buy wiper blades from the main agent. They DO cost a bit more than the Halfords/eBay/other internet sellers, but, in my experience they go for much longer before they start squeaking/splitting.

Yes I DO know that car manufacturers don’t make wiper blades but buy them in, but try as I might I have never been able to find out WHO they buy them in from, so I buy at the dealers. It works for me.

Another trick is to use screen cleaner (fast glass etc) spray some onto a cloth and then draw the wiper blade through the treated bit of cloth. It’s amazing how much crud comes off. 

Andy

• Like 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

If the new blades don't do it-and I would recommend a named brand as Andy says, eg Bosch-decent quality, then your wiper arms or the springs are at fault-and may well need replacing-the spring that holds the blade to the screen may be rusted /the joint stiff  or two firm or too loose on the screen so try replacing the arm after making sure it is free and well lubed but as above DO NOT put any lube on the screen or allow any overspray!

15 hours ago, icepuffin said:

I find that after just a few months wear my wiper blades seem to squeek or bounce across the windscreen, the noise is annoying, I change then at least every 18 months because of this.

I have tried autoglym fast glass, other windscreen glass cleaners, washing up liquid, even methylated spirit was suggested.

What I can't seem to fathom is why the wiper blades are like it and whether there is anything I can do to resolve them squeaking like they do?

There are one, or a combination of several things that can cause this.

1) Windscreen contaminated with oily road film deposits, a good windscreen, not house window, cleaner designed for the purpose should shift, as mentioned above vinegar sometimes works, as does meths,  isopropyl alcohol and pure acetone ( not nail varnish remover, this sometimes contains oils )

2) Wear to the rubber, especially the sharp edge .

3) Rubber hardening so it no longer follows the contour of the screen.

4) Wear or excess play in the wiper arm assembly especially at the riveted hinge section.

5) Any of the joints seized or stiff, preventing the blade arm spring ( under the blade arm ) from applying the correct pressure to the screen.

6) An odd one this, a corroded arm spring preventing the correct pressure being applied as in (5)

7) If they tend to work OK on say a sweep to the right but judder on a sweep to the left ( or vice versa ) this can be caused by the  wiper arm having a slight twist.

What should happen is that the blade sweeps the screen in one direction with the cleaning edge trailing, as the blade starts to sweep in the opposite direction the blade flips over so that the cleaning edge is again trailing.

A slight twist  in the blade arm can prevent this happen and what then happens is that the blade edge is being pushed over the screen as a leading edge, rather than a trailing edge, it it easily seen if you watch the blades travel at each return, the blade should flop over easily and equally on each  stroke

The annoying thing is that it can be caused by any one of the above................. or a combination. 😕

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replies, I hadn't seem the previous topic.

I do on a regular basis clean windscreen and the rubbers, I hadn't considered the spring  so will apply a little oil.

I use Gtechniq G1 or G5 to add rain repellancy to my windscreen - at motorway/A-road speeds no wipers are needed in heavy rain. The downside to this coating is the wipers may squeak or judder, but usually any water on the screen is swept away in a single pass with no smearing. The G5 coating goes on like Rain-x but will last a few (6 or so) months rather than days. However, I will only buy Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades (I think the OEM Volvo items are probably re-branded Bosch) as they are the best aftermarket ones I've used. A set of Michelin Stealth Wiper blades were on sale in Costco once; I had them on the car for less than 2 months before chucking them and getting new Bosch items. 

15 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

Try using RainX - Brilliant stuff

Only use the version applied directly to the screen - DO NOT use the version that is added to the washer bottle, it contaminates the level sensor (guess how I found out) - but it's ok on basic washer systems.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

About an eggcupful of MucOff (from Halfords) - which is water soluble and biodegradable - in your full washer bottle and it will remove all smear and stop all noise and judder.

Alternatively use AutoGlym Engine Cleaner in about the same dilution and it too will do the job. (AutoGlym screen wash at twice the price is the same stuff - I suggested it to them a decade or so ago!)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions and advice.