Sign in to follow this  
lazydaze

Should I be concerned .

Hi , Yet to complete a deal on a used 2016  Compass 554  from a main  dealership I have seen the service history workshop sheets and asked all the relevant question , the caravan  overall is in excellent condition , however I have discovered that it was manufactured Feb 2016 but wasn't registered with the first owner until November 2017 so has it lain unsold 19 Months  in a dealership, even allowing for not selling in the first season  i would have thought the dealer would have discounted it early  in 2017 , I have done my own HIP check and all is clear regarding finance/ insurance write-off /one owner/ etc , CRiS check confirms one registered owner 11/02/2017 am I overthinking  this , your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

It is always sensible to be careful when buying a used van. You appear to be doing all the right things, and nothing in your post rings alarm bells.

There is always some element of risk when buying a van, even buying new could result in a jewel or a lemon, 

Check position  on the makers warranty being transferred to you and it commenced Nov. 2017

21 minutes ago, lazydaze said:

Hi , Yet to complete a deal on a used 2016  Compass 554  from a main  dealership I have seen the service history workshop sheets and asked all the relevant question , the caravan  overall is in excellent condition , however I have discovered that it was manufactured Feb 2016 but wasn't registered with the first owner until November 2017 so has it lain unsold 19 Months  in a dealership, even allowing for not selling in the first season  i would have thought the dealer would have discounted it early  in 2017 , I have done my own HIP check and all is clear regarding finance/ insurance write-off /one owner/ etc , CRiS check confirms one registered owner 11/02/2017 am I overthinking  this , your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

That's not uncommon in the caravan industry - there's at least one 2017 Lunar that's still brand new on Autotrader - dealers will reduce the price but unpopular layouts remain just that and can be difficult to move on.

Our local dealer (Roundstone Caravans) still had a couple of new Sterlings on their forecourt that they hadn’t sold for over 3 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Our local dealer (Roundstone Caravans) still had a couple of new Sterlings on their forecourt that they hadn’t sold for over 3 years. 

That doesn,t make business sense  to have money tied up like that.

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

That doesn,t make business sense  to have money tied up like that.

They don't plan it like that!

When GM announced the Vauxhall Ampera in 2012, they expected to sell 3,500 in the first year and 5,000/year after that - the first shipment of just 1,200 cars took 4 years to sell through so they didn't order any more and cancelled it when all 1,200 were sold - they're all 2012 models despite them being registered in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and sitting in fields until sold.

The same happens with caravans sometimes.

58 minutes ago, lazydaze said:

Maybe the first year it was the dealer's display model so they did not want to sell it. Have you mixed up the dates since 11/2/2017 is February and not November ? At least if it was not used for a year that is 1 year less wear on it.

If you do buy make sure they turn the clock back and start the warranty as you will have lost out. They should discount the van accordingly. 

Bit confused how you know it was manufactured in Feb 2016 ? The Vin number will give build year .

Could of been sold but not registered as CRiS is not compulsory ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

16 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Maybe the first year it was the dealer's display model so they did not want to sell it. Have you mixed up the dates since 11/2/2017 is February and not November ? At least if it was not used for a year that is 1 year less wear on it.

Might not have been used, but if you have been to the many shows you would have seen how many "viewers" abuse cupboard doors and other items. 😫

OP needs to clarify the various dates of the history of this caravan.

A 2016 model I think more likely to have been made in 2015.

It is to be fair very normal-plenty of unused 2018 vans still on forecourts. 

I guess at the end of the day, if it is in excellent condition, it has not been abused by the previous owner and the op is happy with it, the date of manufacture is only important to the selling price and warranty.

1 minute ago, Jezzerb said:

It is to be fair very normal-plenty of unused 2018 vans still on forecourts. 

Well my dealer cleared his 2018 models at beginning of 2019, I know as I bought one.

It was discounted to go, as room needed for 2019 models.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

25 minutes ago, David 38 said:

OP needs to clarify the various dates of the history of this caravan.

A 2016 model I think more likely to have been made in 2015.

Model year calendar runs from September the previous year to August.

5 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Model year calendar runs from September the previous year to August.

Which is a really confusing and stupid system, But similar to a tax year which runs from 6th April each year, why??

Perhaps a legacy from when car registrations changed on 1st September? 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Which is a really confusing and stupid system, But similar to a tax year which runs from 6th April each year, why??

Perhaps a legacy from when car registrations changed on 1st September? 

Andy

Both car and caravan model year relate to the summer shutdown, the most convenient time to make the production line changes.

• +1 1

ultimately as long as they aren't selling it as 2017 model, all of the above is irrelevant, the warranty would of started from nov 2017, so providing it has been serviced accordingly to that it will still have warranty remaining (costs £50 to transfer)

Dealers do have new old stock sitting about, sometimes even if you have discounted it to cost it doesn't mean it makes it easier to sell, especially as time rolls on and secondhand ones appear and make the new old one look expensive, there is a dealer out there that still has a brand new 2014 sterling in stock!

Edited by Caravantech

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Sorry my mistake it should read  02/11/2017   ( November ) they manufacture from Sept 15 through to Aug 16 they are all then classed as 2016 models, but the warranty starts from date of first registration for the first owner  but  reduces  from the second owners as classed as a used caravan bit complicated but as stated on the Elddis website .

many thank for all your replies which have eased my concerns .what a great forum this is with so many helpful members .:Thankyou:

24 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

ultimately as long as they aren't selling it as 2017 model, all of the above is irrelevant, the warranty would of started from nov 2017, so providing it has been serviced accordingly to that it will still have warranty remaining (costs £50 to transfer)

Dealers do have new old stock sitting about, sometimes even if you have discounted it to cost it doesn't mean it makes it easier to sell, especially as time rolls on and secondhand ones appear and make the new old one look expensive, there is a dealer out there that still has a brand new 2014 sterling in stock!

Can not see a dealer "servicing" a van on the forecourt until it is sold. So warranty clause would be in doubt. Unless they have an agreement with the manufactures. 

25 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Can not see a dealer "servicing" a van on the forecourt until it is sold. So warranty clause would be in doubt. Unless they have an agreement with the manufactures. 

that doesn't matter because the time it laid around it was brand new and unsold, so the warranty wouldn't start until the original owner took it.

Also, us as a dealer we do a "nil" invoice for the van if it has sat on the forecourt, so the service date is inline, then of course service it when it is sold, just so the remaining warranty is in tact.

It is not uncommon to see motorhomes three or fours old before registration as dealer don't sell a motorhome everyday . The age and warranty does not start till registered but the issue with a motorhome is things like cambelts and other components that are age dependant need considering and not just tyres like a caravan .

Dave

1 hour ago, Caravantech said:

that doesn't matter because the time it laid around it was brand new and unsold, so the warranty wouldn't start until the original owner took it.

Also, us as a dealer we do a "nil" invoice for the van if it has sat on the forecourt, so the service date is inline, then of course service it when it is sold, just so the remaining warranty is in tact.

Your post is confusing warranty would start , but not the full warranty?🤔

As I said in my post the warranty would be in doubt, the buyer would not benefit from the full warranty, so the buyer should expect a good discount as the appliances have 3 years. In this case the buyer would only get 1 year. Not really a good deal then 😫 

Edited by kiaboy

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

My thoughts also that it was probably a demonstration model.