Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone could confirm/point me in the right direction for replacement taps, the current ones are knackered and leaking and my local caravan shop wants an eye-watering amount, I'm determined to find them cheaper and install myself if possible but there seems to be a myriad of options available on the market.

Cheers, 

Matt

Note: having issue attaching media, will try to add to the thread below assuming upload stops failing.

20200121_121223.jpg

Capture.PNG

Unless you require a tap with built in micro-switch then I believe any domestic type of mixer tap from any supplier will do the job.

Micro-switched taps will be supplied only by caravan dealers and chandlers and thus expensive.

2 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Unless you require a tap with built in micro-switch then I believe any domestic type of mixer tap from any supplier will do the job.

Micro-switched taps will be supplied only by caravan dealers and chandlers and thus expensive.

Potentially a sill question, how would I know if it was micro-switched?

I would assume it is purely based on the fact that obviously when you turn the tap on the pump starts to run, probably a very basic question as I say but very new to this.

Cheers, 

Matt

A new insert and descale would probably see your present tap leak free, plenty of how to's on youtube to guide you.

• +1 1

2 minutes ago, flashgordon said:

A new insert and descale would probably see your present tap leak free, plenty of how to's on youtube to guide you.

Unfortunately the cartridge sections appear to have completely failed, I have a feeling a descale would make it worse to be honest.  Im not worried about the work to change to be honest, just want to be sure I'm purchasing the correct replacement(s).

Matt

VERY easy to replace the cartridge-take off the little plug that has the hot cold red/blue indication carefullly to not damage the chrome then there is a teeny allen key-undo and tap handle lifts up and off-there is a nut that holds the cartridge-ceramic type-take it out get the number//make and google it or visit a local caravan dealer-and replace-simples !

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Have a look under the sink and see if there are any wires disappearing up into the tap body if so it’s micro switched. Otherwise there will be a pressure switch somewhere on the pipe work that will sense the pressure drop when the tap opens and turn the pump on.

Our Hymer had micro switches that were prone to wire breakages and were a pain to repair so I converted system to pressure switch operation and never regretted it!

• Like 1

Looks exactly like the tap in my (house) bathroom wash basin!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • +1 1

What do you class as eye watering? Seem to remember paying about 40quids for one a few years ago. 

27 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

What do you class as eye watering? Seem to remember paying about 40quids for one a few years ago. 

A replacement Reich tap will set you back £130, against about £8 for a self fit cartridge replacement and 15 mins of your time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

They wanted £290+ VAT to supply and fit two taps.

Assuming they are not switched looks like I can pick them up about £30 a piece. 

I appreciate the kitchen one will be harder as the fridge will need to come out but in my eyes thats more than Im prepared to pay for something as simple as a few bolts.

Ouch if your taps chrome is ok unless you want new ones go the insert route at 8-12 max diy. VERY easy as i described and your tap will be as good as new. Different if the chrome is bubbling.

1 hour ago, matthewantonyjohnson said:

Time for the Yorkshire war cry    HOW MUCH !           :D

John.

Edited by Leedslad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, matthewantonyjohnson said:

Assuming they are not switched looks like I can pick them up about £30 a piece. 

I appreciate the kitchen one will be harder as the fridge will need to come out but in my eyes thats more than Im prepared to pay for something as simple as a few bolts.

Not always necessary to remove fridge. I changed our kitchen tap once by removing the fridge vent outside and working from there. Depends on how they are positioned in relation to each other.

• Like 1

Profile says Bailey Senator California:  https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1030021/carafax-chrome-mixer-tap-wshort-flexi-tails-l180 would appear to be the correct tap ...   Search by VIN or your exact year/model and "tap" to get a fuller range of tap parts from that Bailey spares place.   You might get 10% off if you go via Caravan Club and are a member... and can probably find alternative sellers of the exact same tap.

Remember you'll probably need tails with 12 mm pushfit ends to join the caravan pipework rather than domestic 15 mm if you choose an alternative tap.  Check the correct pipe size before you buy!

Sometimes the kitchen sink can be removed to access the tap fixings and pipework. 

Bathroom sink is typically much easier via the vanity cupboard.

• Like 1

1719039954_sinktap.thumb.JPG.e9101807fb57fd0ebd54772ae1628892.JPG

Attached a picture of the pipes going to our kitchen sink tap (2011 Elddis). I would imagine you could re-use your existing hoses which in our case are push fit at the 12 mm pipe end. To get the tap out the hoses need removing from the push fit end (push in the plastic collar and then pull out the hose), the nut holding the tap to the worktop removing and then the tap should lift out with the hoses still connected to it.

• Like 1