This summer I was on a club run site and two large Campers parked on pitches opposite ours.

The occupants were  middle aged couples. It became obvious that they were new to camping as they had household extension cables to use for the hook up. 
They set up their chairs and table along with a barbecue as most people do. 
At about 2.00 am I was woken up by the shouts calling their dog that was allowed to roam the site. 
Both couples got involved in lighting the barbecue and turned on the music and the cooking started. 
This continued until about 7.00 when they final went to sleep. 

The campsite manager was  knocking on their door at 9.00 and asked them to leave then. The site staff cleared up the drinks cans and bottles. They also helped them pack up to get them off site as quickly as possible. 

My questions are:

i) What can campsite staff do to evict a troublesome camper legally? Can the police be asked to assist?

ii) When the campsite staff were “assisting “ the troublesome couples it was noticeable they had been drinking heavily. So could the staff be prosecuted for allowing an intoxicated driver to take a vehicle on the road? 

I don't know-we've had a few occasions; Longleat for example when 3 caravan families were together-on their last night they had a party -adults one end van,  kids as far away as possible-the racket was horrendous and only stopped when one of the unsupervised children got hurt. Terrible week with lots of unruly children. Conversely Abbey Wood site London has always been heaving-really full when we've visited and by 9 all has been peace-lovely.  Groups together sitting out drinking often go on too long and get ever louder. Are wardens supposed to take the flak and patrol. I have seen someone go over and ask for a little quiet when  very loud swearing was involved in the outdoor drinking but this is a tricky one and may be a chat with the parties and the threat of eviction would have been enough with a conversation showing them site rules etc etc? Not an easy job!

I have had music playing loud during the day but the only time I had a bad time was in Cornwall with some surfers that had music blasting and then after a few drinks and in the middle of the night the guys run around the site banging on the sides of the tourers with their girlfriends shouting and screaming at them and the other time was when on a site at CMC York with some travellers 6 caravans for a few days and they tried my lockers during the night but run off when the dog barked back to their van . I informed the warden the next morning but the families were due to leave but never left till 2 pm after repeated attempts by wardens to make them move off the pitches .

Edited by CommanderDave

Had a similar problem many years ago on a family run site in the Swansea area. A group of youths started drinking and making noise, the owner arrived and asked them to keep the noise down or they would be asked to leave. The noise stopped but gradually got louder again. At around 9pm the owner once again visited them (with his two sons) and told the campers, "you were warned, now take down your tents and leave". He DID allow then to temporarily pitch their tents in the "new arrivals" area at the very top of the site, as they were in no fit state to drive, but he and his sons arrived at 7am the following morning to make sure they left. He then walked around the site apologising to all the remaining campers/caravanners about the disturbance the previous evening.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gd485 said:

My questions are:

i) What can campsite staff do to evict a troublesome camper legally? Can the police be asked to assist?

ii) When the campsite staff were “assisting “ the troublesome couples it was noticeable they had been drinking heavily. So could the staff be prosecuted for allowing an intoxicated driver to take a vehicle on the road? 

I too have experienced problems with inconsiderate campsite users but to answer your questions, and while I am no legal expert this is my opinion, we do however have members here who  will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

i) I am sure that campsites can forbid access by "unwanted guests" and equally instruct "unwanted guests" to leave. Similarly I believe the Police can be requested to assist if needed.

ii) As it is the "unwanted guests" that were causing the problems and not their vehicles, it is therefore the people that are being evicted and the vehicles may be left temporarily on the site. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure they are legal to drive on the highway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I too have experienced problems with inconsiderate campsite users but to answer your questions, and while I am no legal expert this is my opinion, we do however have members here who  will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

i) I am sure that campsites can forbid access by "unwanted guests" and equally instruct "unwanted guests" to leave. Similarly I believe the Police can be requested to assist if needed.

ii) As it is the "unwanted guests" that were causing the problems and not their vehicles, it is therefore the people that are being evicted and the vehicles may be left temporarily on the site. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure they are legal to drive on the highway. 

If a commercial site can refuse a caravan based on its manufacturers usually a European make I would of thought they would of checked if it is legal to refuse entry  in their terms ?

Your land your rules ?

• Confused 1
  • +1 1

When we ran a pub, we could refuse anyone who came through the door and not give any excuse as to why they were being told to leave.  The law was on our side, not the customers.  After a time of running a pub, you got to know the signs of trouble brewing before it starts.  If they are drunk, they don't get near the bar.  In this case, why should we get the trouble when they haven't spent a penny in our pub?

Probably the same thing for caravan/camping parks, if something doesn't sit well, don't admit them, especially if they haven't booked in advance.  If they have, then allow them on, put keep an eye on them.  More often than not, they are ok, and no trouble.

If the owners knew the people were hungover from the night before when they were being evicted, contact the police and give them details of the car and why they had been evicted, then let them deal with it.  Its not the owners responsibility as they could not see what was being drunk and/or give them a breathalyser test.  They were not served any alcohol from the campsite owners, the onus is not on (or should not) be on the campsite

• Like 2

I think you are OK excluding anybody provided you don’t step on any ‘protected characteristic’ toes.

You would be in trouble if you excluded someone on the grounds or race or ethnicity. But you can exclude on the basis of a twin-axle van or a sign written or commercial vehicle. Anti-social behaviour or flouting or site rules would be another permissible reason for exclusion. Might not stop someone trying to bring a case that they were excluded because of their heritage rather than the fact they were drunk and abusive!

Cheers

Keith

My concern was based on the difficult job the site management has to do and the implied responsibility. 
I can see that stopping a camper from entering the site is relatively easy, but how do they evict troublesome campers?
Apart from asking nicely I can’t see what they can do. 
Some time ago I went to a site that was plagued by the traveller community had managed to get in, they had a lot of hassle to get them off. 
At the time the site positioned two staff on the approach road to check the approaching vehicles and stop them entering the site. 

You stop anyone on a club members site as they have rights as a member . As said I had issues with Travellers with Irish plates on a CMC site they took over the washing machines and filled drums of water in their vehicles and I was told by the wardens simply they are members .

This why I have always quoted about members dropping security measures with locks on club sites .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, rslsys said:

I think you are OK excluding anybody provided you don’t step on any ‘protected characteristic’ toes.

You would be in trouble if you excluded someone on the grounds or race or ethnicity. But you can exclude on the basis of a twin-axle van or a sign written or commercial vehicle. Anti-social behaviour or flouting or site rules would be another permissible reason for exclusion. Might not stop someone trying to bring a case that they were excluded because of their heritage rather than the fact they were drunk and abusive!

Cheers

Keith

As I said when we ran our pub, you just evict them.  But as you stated Keith, the one thing you don't do is give a reason.  You can just evict them without giving any reason whatsoever

Stayed at a site in Carcassonne a couple of years ago,also staying were about six caravans on Irish plates who were refusing to leave,until the police gave them a little encouragement to pack up and go. Within an hour all departed. 

John.

1 hour ago, jwa said:

Stayed at a site in Carcassonne a couple of years ago,also staying were about six caravans on Irish plates who were refusing to leave,until the police gave them a little encouragement to pack up and go. Within an hour all departed. 

John.

We have problems because in this stupid country tresspass is not a criminal offence, we have to apply to the courts for an eviction notice, which they can apeal against. In other countries it is criminal and the police have a duty to go in and hoic them out. Thats why the Irish travelers are here, because the Guarda chase them off.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Our only poor experience of note was Black knowl CMC summer before last, we only stopped there for one night on a Friday and come the evening out came the beer and awning TV's, I wouldn't of minded so much if they were all watching the same channel! Apparently on a Friday some CMC's allow non members in which I didn't know about at the time. To be honest I was tempted to put Classic FM on at full blast whilst we packed up but the wife said no,  it would probably be us being reprimanded.

A good “trick” someone posted on here a while ago to deal with noisy neighbours. Is to throw some bread onto the roof of their caravan in the wee small hours. 

Birds, particularly seagulls, make a LOT of noise on a caravan roof and make sleeping inside rather difficult! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • +1 1