Scooby1

Where do these caravan sit?

Hi All,

Have been looking around loads of vans and thought my mind was set on a Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 2017 S3 possibly S4.

Last weekend we went to look at some vans and came across the new Coachman 565 my question is where these vans sit in build quality? What would be you choice out of a Bailey or Coachman I have a budget of around 17000 hopefully get a second hand one with M/mover and awning I have seen one on caravan finder that is in my price range.

Thanks for any help Paul

Well, as the owner of a 2017 Coachman VIP565 I think you can guess where I stand.  We chose the Coachman because we felt pretty strongly that it was much more solidly built than the other makes we looked at; we were dismayed at the shoddy finish on most Baileys and Swifts we looked at. Most owners will have strong views as to what they prefer, and for many different reasons, so I would simply go with your own gut and chose the make and model that you feel happiest with.

• Like 1

We changed from a Bailey to a Coachman five years ago and haven't regretted it as we too feel that they are better built. However it is always a gamble and I would go with which ever one I liked best.

Coachman for us everytime, despite buying new and having teething problems on all we have had, would still go for another if I was thinking of changing. As already said though, it is really down to personal choice, if you like the van and price go for what you like on the day. 

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I must admit that even I thought the Coachman was better build.  

I've had swift, lunar and bailey. I always found the coachman too heavy, perhaps the build is more stronger, I don't know. The last time  I  looked at them , I couldn't see one I fancied although my OH liked them, so we have a baileys now ;)

We looked at all manufacturers for a second hand caravan, & i concur with above posts, Coachman all the way, but it's what ever takes your fancy.

Build quality of our Coachman is superb, 2 year old & as good as new, very solid & sturdy, & no deviation when towing.

Edited by Grizzly Bathplug
spelling
  • +1 1

We like our swift but having spent time in our friends 2015 Bailey Cadiz I think the Bailey looks a better constructed caravan... It's certainly light and airy and their Alutec design appeals to me over timber and screws etc.

What I get really confused about is the construction with the Swift's. They seem to have so many versions and just as I thought they'd rounded on a design which included no wood at all (composite floor) they reduced it's availability across the range.

I’ve just read on FB that a Bailey S3 has damp around the fridge area. With the Alu Tech construction no timber in the frame how can it be damp?

7 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

I’ve just read on FB that a Bailey S3 has damp around the fridge area. With the Alu Tech construction no timber in the frame how can it be damp?

Floor (They are still plywood) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I have a 3 year old Coachman bought from new, being as honest as I can, the Coachman range seems better finished in the interior than Swift, Bailey, Elddis etc.

But the actual box and chassis the interior lives in/on, I personally dont think theres much in it, if anything all makes generate complaints.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Why buy a caravan with a plywood floor when you can buy one with a plastic one?

I speak as the owner of an all plastic 2017 Swift Conqueror 560.

Three seasons so far with just niggling faults-all put right by Duncan’s of

Any leaks and you will just see puddles on the floor😀.

The only downside is the weight 1680MTPLM so tow cars must be chosen with care my Picasso Grand towed it no problem my present Seat Alhambra is heavier giving a higher %age of safety.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

After all of the comments on here we have decided on looking for a 2017 565 Coachman vision  VIP, it’s better suited for our needs with the single beds being a lot lower than the Cadiz .

We will start our search for a second hand one, I have noticed that some caravan retailers remove the motor movers but will be willing to fit new or used ones.

What pointers can anyone give me on buying a private one, is there a log book should I get an independent inspection, lastly I have a 2017 E Class Mercedes with a towing capacity of 2100kg and the van comes in at 1581kg MPTLM 2020 model =75% of towing capacity, Sounds good ?

Edited by Scooby1
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

After all of the comments on here we have decided on looking for a 2017 565 Coachman vision  VIP, it’s better suited for our needs with the single beds being a lot lower than the Cadiz .

We will start our search for a second hand one, I have noticed that some caravan retailers remove the motor movers but will be willing to fit new or used ones.

What pointers can anyone give me on buying a private one, is there a log book should I get an independent inspection, lastly I have a 2017 E Class Mercedes with a towing capacity of 2100kg and the van comes in at 1581kg MPTLM 2020 model =75% of towing capacity, Sounds good ?

That's not how to work out your %

its your kerb weight you need to compare with not max towing capacity

I'm guessing with a big Merc you will be ok for weight

Danny

The car is 1875 kerb weight 1581kg Caravan = 84% correct?

3 minutes ago, Scooby1 said:

The car is 1875 kerb weight 1581kg Caravan = 84% correct?

Don't worry too much about that, the 85% rule is just a recommendation not a law the extra 100 Kg here or there won't make that much difference when towing with your E Class (just make sure the towing tyre pressures are correct car and caravan)

• Like 1

Hi Scooby1

We travelled from  Stoke to Cheltenham when we bought our Coachman VIP575.

I researched a local caravan engineer to inspect the caravan before purchase, 2 hours he took to go over the van with a fine toothcombe.

Once we had his report, with no faults reported, & a full damp check, we did the deal.

Research & get an independant Caravan engineer to give it the once over.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

The latest customer survey by the C&CC and Practical Caravan is just out. As with previous surveys Coachman show a clear lead over Bailey. If you are happy with both the Coachman looks the safer bet but you also need to factor in the extra weight.

On 22/01/2020 at 10:00, Scooby1 said:

Good choice - but the MTPLM of 1581 kg you quote doesn’t tie in with the 2017 specs. VIP 565 is 1630kg (Vision and Pastiche models are lighter but don’t have much headroom for upgrading the MTPLM) but we upgraded ours to 1700kg. 
Just checked and it seems the 1581kg is the new 2020 Acadia 565 so not the model you are looking at. 

Edited by Fat Albert

Fat Albert,

You are 100% correct. even when i use the new MTPLM it still  86% what I hope is going to be ok for my car.

I have a Lunar Lexon 570. 2017 model that I am changing next week. Lovely van with very high specification and sensible weight. Same layout as Coachman. One week to sell it or it gets traded in.  It is on Gumtree.

Andrew

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Scooby1 said:

Fat Albert,

You are 100% correct. even when i use the new MTPLM it still  86% what I hope is going to be ok for my car.

That is still a good towing ratio, so I do not see you having any problems with it.

Off topic :ph34r: but, Scooby1, what Scooby have you got? :D

Having owned loads of caravans over the last 50 years, the answer is easy, Coachman all the way. Although I have, in the past, owned a VIP I think the dealer special is the way to go or a Pastiche.

Our coachman is the best van we ever owned. Sadly getting rid for likely an elddis as the price difference was too great.

If they could lower the price by a couple of grand then i think i would never leave them.