It's Wet and Wild in Spain

It's exactly a week ago that we endured 24 hours on Cap Finistere travelling across the Bay of Biscay in Force 9 Gales gusting stronger.

It was a monumental stomach churning experience but held together with a pack of Stugerons!

Anyhow, after a couple of nice days here in Benicassim (nr Valencia), storm Gloria has arrived and the wind and rain is just relentless. The weather turned overnight Saturday and we are still another 24 - 36 hours away from some repsite. We believe there are red warnings for snow North of here so safe travels for anyone arriving into Bilbao tomorrow morning.

Some pictures and info here: Spain ramblings, 2020

• Like 2

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Alicante has roads closed due to thick snow I am being told and Madrid .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

2 hours ago, PandR said:

24 hours on Cap Finistere travelling across the Bay of Biscay in Force 9 Gales gusting stronger.

Which is why we have stopped using the long ferry crossings to Spain, and now take the time to drive down through France.

I hope your weather picks up B)

• Like 2

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

We use the ferry at times but prefer not to book more than a week in advance this time of year. We also have a dog and dog cabins are rarely available with short notice.

10 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Which is why we have stopped using the long ferry crossings to Spain, and now take the time to drive down through France.

I prefer to take a chance with the Portsmouth ferry.   I haven't driven through France for the last nine winters.   Here's why!   This was my last journey.

94529936_SnowatDreux1.jpg.e04a8f53dd1d4ca9e43cf4fc12bbe208.jpg

1534274665_SnowatDreux2.jpg.95800b8d93fc36357c521d37b74e2209.jpg

Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just had message from Benidorm no snow there.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

I prefer to take a chance with the Portsmouth ferry.   I haven't driven through France for the last nine winters.   Here's why!   This was my last journey.

There can be lots of snow when crossing the mountains in Spain as well.

• I agree completely 2
1 hour ago, AndersG said:

There can be lots of snow when crossing the mountains in Spain as well.

That's true!   But you know the Spanish Highway Authorities.   They're out with the gritting lorries even before the roads see snow. .................... Generally.B)

I read some posts a few minutes ago that police are stopping vehicles and only allowing them to proceed with chains on some roads .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Hi all,

We now pitched overwintering again down on the coast of the Desert region of Northern Almeria near Villaricos, 300 miles south of BP & 300 metres from the sea. Same awful rustic site (again) with its poor reviews, for the third year.

Had two days of 'Gloria' wind & heavy rain so far, snow in the hills inland, but fairing better me thinks than our friends in the North (BP etc). Site coping with deluge, Lettuce field adjoining looks a bit fresher. Worst Winter here in last 20 years overwinterering say some vintage snowbirds.

Today has been much calmer and a sense of it brightening up slightly with a very good forecast ahead.

Interesting blog to read P&R - thanks for your effort - and to others who do blogs. Your 2020 Biscay Cruise update confirmed our desire to stick with the over-land France route & its flexibility - two dogs is the final straw for us.

Regards 

M

33 minutes ago, montesa said:

Hi all,

We now pitched overwintering again down on the coast of the Desert region of Northern Almeria near Villaricos, 300 miles south of BP

And I'm another 150 miles SW of you.   We caught the edge of storm Gloria giving us a dull day on Sunday, followed by a wet Monday.   Today we've had  it dry with sun in and out and a chilly breeze.   

We had an even worse night last night in terms of wind and rain but with the added excitement of spectacular thunder and lightning.

Laterly the winds have reduced but bands of torrential rain and lightning storms sweep across the site with a certain regularity.

First time for years the blog has been so up-to-date!!!

1 hour ago, montesa said:

Hi all,

We now pitched overwintering again down on the coast of the Desert region of Northern Almeria near Villaricos

What is the site called please and is there space there? We may need a one night stopover when we finally leave Benicassim for the South West...

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Glad we took the decision to break off our stay and return home from Aguilas (only a stone's throw from Villaricos) just before Christmas when the temperatures were starting to drop and fly off to the Canary Islands tomorrow instead, leaving the caravan in winter storage. Maybe it was a premonition.

Edited by Lutz

I know some posts from motorhomes on La Manga say the pitches were like lakes with the heavy rain and as said they have never seen it like that before .

Morocco is looking far more attractive for winter sun .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I flew from Alicante to the UK on Sunday on an 08.30 departure, just made it as they closed the airport at 13.00 because of the winds and storm.  The airport didn't reopen until 05.00 this morning.  At least I can now get back on Saturday.

The sun was shining today but it as almost as cold as the UK.

14 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Morocco is looking far more attractive for winter sun .

Not at the moment it isn't.   Storm Gloria kicked off from there.

Meanwhile we have another wet day here in Malaga Province with the forecast showing poor weather until Saturday.    But to put it in perspective - it's the fifth wet day since the beginning of December.:)

791066990_Screenshot_2020-01-22WeatherTtouan.png.604a7c3556035d85b2df5db2e3167ad4.png

Edited by Jaydug

Its warmer again but damp and misty here in Shropshire,  wind and rain supposed to return, what joy!

We are jetting off to Caribbean at end of February for some sun!

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

On 21/01/2020 at 17:22, PandR said:

What is the site called please and is there space there? We may need a one night stopover when we finally leave Benicassim for the South West...

Personal Message sent

They say Gloria is visiting Italy next week so anyone that way might need to take care .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Warm and sunny in Birkenhead today!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

On 21/01/2020 at 19:12, Lutz said:

Glad we took the decision to break off our stay and return home from Aguilas (only a stone's throw from Villaricos) just before Christmas when the temperatures were starting to drop and fly off to the Canary Islands tomorrow instead, leaving the caravan in winter storage. Maybe it was a premonition.

That was a good move on our part. The weather here on the Canaries is quite acceptable and the forecast promises even better. Motorhomers that we have spoken to here on the island and who have already been longer seem to be quite happy.