Dog & Vet - Am I missing the point?

Hi.

We are once again planning on visiting the EU this summer with our Dog.

At our dog's annual checkup at the vet we were told we would need blood tests (rabies titre).

Surely, after the 31 Jan, we will be into the transition period and the current rules (Pet Travel Scheme) will still be in force.

Or have I missed something?

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

we always go via the tunnel and  I checked  there website regards pet travel  and at the moment there is no change 

I think you need a blood test . It is a requirement now with or without a deal I was told . It can take at least 4 months so needs to be done ASAP if you wish to travel .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Defra changed the requirements on the 6 th November 2018 that you require blood test I only checked this evening with my vet again .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

DEFRA does not make any requirements to take dogs to the EU. They do make the rules to take dogs to the UK but they have always said nothing would change with brexit.

You can leave but the blood test is required to return . I know if someone that had to leave their dog in France come home then go back when the dog had passed it tests .

One reason was a high percentage of the dogs were not protected as the injection had not taken and it's common now to hear first injection not taking and a second injection is then required adding another 30+ days to the 4 months .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

You can leave but the blood test is required to return . I know if someone that had to leave their dog in France come home then go back when the dog had passed it tests .

One reason was a high percentage of the dogs were not protected as the injection had not taken and it's common now to hear first injection not taking and a second injection is then required adding another 30+ days to the 4 months .

Dave

Strange as at present there is no requirement for the blood test if you are returning from the continent if the rabies injection was up to date when you left and is still valid when you return. I cannot find any mention of this requirement on any government website or in any legislation which over rides anything a vet may tell you.  However if you could paste a link to an official gov uk website where this is stated, we would be pleased.  Thanks.

There is no requirement for a blood test when entering the UK from EU.

There is no requirement for a blood test when entering the EU from UK during the transition period.

• I agree completely 2
12 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Defra changed the requirements on the 6 th November 2018 that you require blood test I only checked this evening with my vet again .

Dave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Everything you are referring to relates to UK Govt. and DEFRA advice in the event of a no transition/implementation deal UK exit from the EU. They are not changes to existing requirements.

However, as we all know, there is a UK exit transitional/implementation deal which comes into effect at the end of the month. Therefore, everything that is or is not required now will continue in exactly the same way until 31st December 2020. What happens after then will depend on the final deal reached in relation to things such as animal import/export. I hope the links are proof enough for you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit#pet-travel-during-an-implementation-period

https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/help-and-advice/pet-travel/

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/brexit/will-i-be-able-to-travel-to-the-EU-with-my-dog-after-brexit/

https://www.animalcouriers.com/pet-travel-between-uk-EU-coutries-after-brexit/

Edited by Legal Eagle
56 minutes ago, AndersG said:

There is no requirement for a blood test when entering the UK from EU.

There is no requirement for a blood test when entering the EU from UK during the transition period.

This   ...........   

We are heading for a no deal as the Brexit agreement has been rejected by the Lord's I read .

I personally would not Gamble on this transition if I intend travelling ?

Dave

• I do not understand 1

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The vet wants to do the test on the 4th or 5th of Feb so I guess I'll know about a transition by then.

14 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I had no issues last summer - Other than some mardy French woman at Eurotunnel on our return. Which, along with an avoidable delay, resulted in a refund of that leg of my journey.

Edited by SteveMilner

I've just booked to give Sydney his rabies booster next week. It is my intention to travel on his passport as we do now, with no further paperwork and certificates. These are only necessary in the event of a no deal. At present, we have a deal (although not fully ironed out), so assuming that all gets through the Commons and the Lords, all is well. Even if it does n', we are as we are until 31st December 2020 anyway.

If I get stuck overseas, so be it. I'm not bothered! On a serious note, I would switch Sydney and me to an Italian passport.

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

3 hours ago, KontikiKid said:

I've just booked to give Sydney his rabies booster next week. It is my intention to travel on his passport as we do now, with no further paperwork and certificates. These are only necessary in the event of a no deal. At present, we have a deal (although not fully ironed out), so assuming that all gets through the Commons and the Lords, all is well. Even if it does n', we are as we are until 31st December 2020 anyway.

If I get stuck overseas, so be it. I'm not bothered! On a serious note, I would switch Sydney and me to an Italian passport.

Deal or no deal when we leave it says here ?

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

3 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Deal or no deal when we leave it says here ?

The important section in your link is titled "Pet travel during an implementation period". You seem to only be reading about a no deal exit which isn't going to be the case. It clearly states that with a deal nothing changes during the transition period.

The UK's exit bill has, today, passed through Parliament (the Lords backed down) and just awaits Royal Assent to become legislation therefore we will leave with a transition deal. However, what happens from 1st Jan. 2021, after the transition period ends, we won't know for some months.

• Like 1

Following this with interest as we’re taking the pooches to France in June/July so we’re scheduled for blood tests in February   Little dog has just had her rabies jab last week so counting down the 30 days. Big dog was done last September so having his done at the same time. Just covering all bases. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

It does seem that some vets have no idea about pet travel and make it up as they go along!  All they want to do is to get people to part with their hard earned cash unnecessary. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It does seem that some vets have no idea about pet travel and make it up as they go along!  All they want to do is to get people to part with their hard earned cash unnecessary. 

That was exactly what my thoughts were at the time.

Pet travel helpline

Contact the pet travel helpline if you need more help:

Email: pettravel@apha.gov.uk
Telephone: 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As an aside, we never use a vet in France due to costs and so on. We use a vet in Italy and it costs peanuts, with no questions asked! All I need is a stamp in his passport!

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

FWIW ....

Have posted before on this issue following our concerns last Autumn.

We are now in Spain with our two Terriers - no issues & no checks outgoing ( but £17.50 per dog !)

We spoke to Defra 16/12/19 just prior to our 2/1/20 depart from UK and they helpfully explained no blood tests required to enter EU as we would be departing prior to any exit arrangement.

Equally no bloodtest required for a UK pet on a valid passport and usual requirements returning from EU. 

Really suggest you phone them if worried.

M