Sign in to follow this  
DeeTee

Club's magic booking system

The CMC formerly known as Prince aka cc appear to have changed both their site information page and the site booking pages.

The site information shows a site which I wanted to book as having only Standard pitch with Awning and Standard pitch without awning. There is no information about the number of pitches of different types.

The current (2019/2020) Club Sites Directory and Handbook shows Standard grass pitches, Standard hardstanding pitches and Seasonal pitches but again no numbers for the different types.

I telephoned the Club to ask how I could book a hardstanding pitch at the site. The customer service operator offered to make the booking for me which I declined and persisted with my original enquiry. The operator then advised me that I could make a booking and put in a special request for a hardstanding pitch on the online booking form.

I then attempted to book a hardstanding pitch at the site but found I only had a choice of Standard pitch with Awning and Standard pitch without awning.

I again called the Club and found I was speaking to the same operator. I asked where I could find the special requests section on the booking form. I was then told that booking form for operators was different to the online booking form for the punters/customers members.

HERE COMES THE MAGIC

The operator then asked if I would like her to amend my booking? Although I had attempted to make a booking I hadn't completed the form and certainly had not sent it as it was was still on my monitor. The operator  told me the dates of my booking. How did she do that?

I have not had confirmation of my supposed booking but it appears that there is a hidden request in the form which the operator sent to the site.

It now appears that I will only be able to request a hardstanding pitch when I arrive at the site as it depends on the whim of the warden.

I still have no explanation as to how the the club was able to see my booking details which I never sent and never received a booking confirmation.

Edited by DeeTee

If all that is true (and I do not doubt you) the magic is very concerning.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

When you use the booking form on the CMC website it's sitting on the CMC server, not your computer so all the info is there with the CMC 

However the booking is not actually made until you tick the box that says you've read the booking T&Cs and then confirmed that you wish to go ahead. I guess that if you don't confirm then the data gets deleted when you log out.

AFAIK you've never been able to actually book a hardstanding or a specific pitch, it's generally first come first served, however some sites might keep a hard standing or two available for large motorhomes to avoid getting the grass chewed up.

It doesn't actually depend on the whim of the warden, its a case of bagging a hardstanding if one is available. The warden usually give you a plan of the site showing which pitches are hard standings and then you trawl your van (or go for a walk) around the site to decide where you want to be. Usually the only "reserved" pitches are those that are allocated for disabled or those which have been allocated to a large motorhome.

If you've booked a serviced pitch then there should be one available for you and they are generally hardstanding, so to maultiply your chances of getting a hard standing go for a serviced pitch.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Online sales and forms are retained even if they are not submitted. Our former business sold via a website shop and we could examine 'abandoned carts' for information and marketing purposes although we didn't get to names and addresses as the carts had not checked out.

12 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

It now appears that I will only be able to request a hardstanding pitch when I arrive at the site as it depends on the whim of the warden.

There has never been the ability to book a hard standing on any cc site during my nearly 40 years of membership except on 3 sites where they trialed giving the ability to book grass or hard for one year only. Whether hard standing is available is purely first come first served generally.  

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

3 minutes ago, SamD said:

If all that is true (and I do not doubt you) the magic is very concerning.

Fullsome apologies. The magic bit untrue.

I have just discovered that I booked the site ten days

Moderators please delete topic

18 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

The operator then asked if I would like her to amend my booking? Although I had attempted to make a booking I hadn't completed the form and certainly had not sent it as it was was still on my monitor. The operator  told me the dates of my booking. How did she do that?

As Staffordshire china said.

1 minute ago, DeeTee said:

I have just discovered that I booked the site ten days

At least you are now aware that hard standings cannot be booked

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

9 minutes ago, matelodave said:

When you use the booking form on the CMC website it's sitting on the CMC server, not your computer so all the info is there with the CMC 

However the booking is not actually made until you tick the box that says you've read the booking T&Cs and then confirmed that you wish to go ahead. I guess that if you don't confirm then the data gets deleted when you log out.

AFAIK you've never been able to actually book a hardstanding or a specific pitch, it's generally first come first served, however some sites might keep a hard standing or two available for large motorhomes to avoid getting the grass chewed up

Mateleodave

I had completely forgotten that I had booked a pitch at the site ten days ago. This explains why the operator knew my booking details.

I had not ticked the T&Cs box to confirm the booking which explains why it was still showing on my monitor.

You are also correct in the first come first served protocol. I must have been fortunate that I have always been able to choose a hardstanding for many years.

DeeTee

16 minutes ago, Easy T said:

There has never been the ability to book a hard standing on any cc site during my nearly 40 years of membership except on 3 sites where they trialed giving the ability to book grass or hard for one year only. Whether hard standing is available is purely first come first served generally.  

Alan

I must have been very lucky to get a hardstanding pitch for as long as I can remember though hardstanding pitches have increased in number in more recent years. I have also realised that larger sites which have both grass and hardstanding pitches close the grass pitches during Winter.

DeeTee

When we book with the CMC, we do it on the website. We then ring the site direct and explain that we need a hard standing as Lizzie is in a wheel chair!

The wardens then always , so far at least, keep us a hard standing!

On a couple of CMC sites that we use regularly, the wardens ask what part of the site we would prefer!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Of course you can’t book HS pitches they are reserved for Motor homes surely. 

• Haha 1

just looked at the site and I can't see what's changed.  It states e.g. 120 pitches incl 60 hardstanding, 3 tents and  6 service.  Perhaps you used CMC when they were trialed a few sites, anyway, glad you got it sorted. 

2 minutes ago, joanie said:

just looked at the site and I can't see what's changed.  It states e.g. 120 pitches incl 60 hardstanding, 3 tents and  6 service.  Perhaps you used CMC when they were trialed a few sites, anyway, glad you got it sorted. 

joanie

Which Club site? Can you supply a link please?

DeeTee

Just looked at Burrs CMC site and that says 103 pitches (103 hard standing)

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

32 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

joanie

DeeTee

on the left  under 'at a glance' then look a bit further down to 'total pitches'

The Cirencester park at a glance states Touring 211 Camping 0 Pods 0.

To my knowledge almost half of the pitches are grass pitches.

As I have never in many years not been able to choose a hardstanding I had forgotten that the protocol when checking is to choose a pitch a from those available.

I was third person to check in when the Burrs site opened on St Patricks Day 2006. See photo below. There was mixture grass and hardstanding pitches. The grass pitches were so boggy that they were quickly closed and later converted to H/S.

7sd7912DSCN7768.jpg

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

joanie

DeeTee

It was trialled on three sites - One was the Battle site, one was Sutton on Sea. Cannot recall the third one

Edited by Easy T

Alan

17 minutes ago, Easy T said:

It was trialled on three sites - One was the Battle site, one was Sutton on Sea. Cannot recall the third one

I didn't think that joanie's post referred to a trial as it seemed to refer to a specific cc site.

My experience when choosing a pitch at the Normansfield court Battle was almost surreal. I was told by the warden to park the outfit below the reception and walk round the to choose a pitch. Families who had checked in before me were individually standing guard on a selection of pitches to deter others from choosing one of their selected until the family came to a concensus choice. With several groups operating in this way it was a nightmare to choose a pitch for newcomers especially myself who was touring solo.

5 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

I didn't think that joanie's post referred to a trial as it seemed to refer to a specific cc site.

My experience when choosing a pitch at the Normansfield court Battle was almost surreal. I was told by the warden to park the outfit below the reception and walk round the to choose a pitch. Families who had checked in before me were individually standing guard on a selection of pitches to deter others from choosing one of their selected until the family came to a concensus choice. With several groups operating in this way it was a nightmare to choose a pitch for newcomers especially myself who was touring solo.

I believe that they now hand people a length of drain pipe to pop over their selected pitch. Trewethett does that also. It would be nice to know that this was in operation before arrival though as on occasion my walking is poor after being sat in the car and driving for a couple of hours. 

Alan

11 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I believe that they now hand people a length of drain pipe to pop over their selected pitch. Trewethett does that also. It would be nice to know that this was in operation before arrival though as on occasion my walking is poor after being sat in the car and driving for a couple of hours. 

Mine too.

On Saturday last my usual less than three hour journey from Oxfordshire took much longer than usual.

I set off much later than usual on my normal route home. When motorway signs indicated long delays on the M6 on my route I diverted and turned off the M42 to avoid the M6 Toll which was of no use to me. At this stage darkness had fallen and the Smart SatNav was showing that I was heading towards Lichfield and the distance to travel was increasing beyond 90 miles. When I realised that the SatNav was in error I was able to turn off into a quiet residential road where I changed the destination to home. I was routed via A5 Watling street towards Telford though occasionally I missed the odd roundabout and had negotiate some back streets to bring me back on route.

I finally arrived home after nearly five hours driving. The lower part of my body nearly collapsed when trying to exit the car. As for climbing the stairs to my first floor flat-it was agony.

Before leaving it took me two hours to change a wheel on the caravan for the spare wheel. I was badly let down on Friday by an AWS member who failed to carry out the task.

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

Malvern, which is the only one I remember:D

2 hours ago, DeeTee said:

The Cirencester park at a glance states Touring 211 Camping 0 Pods 0.

To my knowledge almost half of the pitches are grass pitches.

As I have never in many years not been able to choose a hardstanding I had forgotten that the protocol when checking is to choose a pitch a from those available.

I was third person to check in when the Burrs site opened on St Patricks Day 2006. See photo below. There was mixture grass and hardstanding pitches. The grass pitches were so boggy that they were quickly closed and later converted to H/S.

7sd7912DSCN7768.jpg

211 ( 133 hardstandings ) carry on looking down the page on the left  at total pitches

I have always booked a hard standing pitch only which could mean serviced as I have TA and even more required with my MH . 

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The last cc, sorry CMC site I stayed at was Daleacre. There were a nomber of empty hard standings, but all had traffic cones on them. I had to pitch on grass. I asked one of the staff about them and he told me they were reserved for Motorhomes because they mess the grass up.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I was ‘bounced’ onto grass pitches twice last year on CMC sites as they were holding the hard standings for Motorhomes ‘who might turn up at the weekend’! We were Thursday arrivals, Tuesday departure in both cases.

I have now not used a CMC site since the second occasion (March) last year.

I’m considering adding a ‘Phantom’ Motorhome to my membership, booking a site for that but then arriving in the caravan and then see what happens.

I think the next Club name change will be to the Motorhome & Motorhome Club!

Cheers

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Artleknock said:

The last cc, sorry CMC site I stayed at was Daleacre. There were a nomber of empty hard standings, but all had traffic cones on them. I had to pitch on grass. I asked one of the staff about them and he told me they were reserved for Motorhomes because they mess the grass up.

That’s why member’s with caravans get reduced membership. Because they get inferior pitches. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, fred said:

That’s why member’s with caravans get reduced membership. Because they get inferior pitches. 

Hey, I didn't know about that. You telling me that a "Motorhome" (posh name for a motorised caravan) pays more than £56.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz