Elddis Avante 482

The Reverend

Calling on Elddis van owner to check the seals around the battery box and under bunk external access compartment as the seal on my van has failed and flooded the inside of the van. The fact that it's on 2 compartments suggest it's the fixing material not a poor installation, in my opinion, but I was surprised that there are no fixing screws securing the frames to the  body of the van.

The picture is taken looking down the outside of the van from above the compartment.

caravan leak(small format).PNG

I think the problem will be the instalation and not the lockers. These lockers are standard throughout the caravan industry and are generally not a problem.  They have been on our last three caravans and none have leaked or been any problem other than one broken hinge.

One of the selling points of Elddis models is that they are glued together so the potential leaks caused by screws are avoided, but they still rely on the operative sealing the joints effectively and by the look of it in your case it was done badly. Assuming it is still under guarantee then I am afraid the next stop is the dealers.

Dealer has been out and it seems this is not the first one to leak. I have spoken to the dealer who informed me that that they will speak to Elddis to see if it will be repaired under the warranty. I have now written to the dealer to inform them my purchase was from them not Elddis and they have the duty to repair not the manufacturer.

I wanted to raise the issue so other owners can check their vans before they leak, as you say this one may have been poorly fitted but on both sides of the van?

It's only by posting on forums like this that an individual can get to the bigger, picture if one exists.

The Rev.

You are quite right in that you bought from the dealer and your contract is with them. You do have two rights of action, one against Elddis under the guarantee, and the second against the dealer under the Consumer Protection Act.

Not sure how old the caravan is but if it leaks the guarantee needs no further proof but the Act does say if the product is over 6 months old you then have to show the problem was caused by a defect. My feeling is that in the first instance let the guarantee claim be assessed and if they repair promptly then leave it at that as it is better to keep a good relationship with the dealer if you have one and threats can destroy this. Possibly though it does no harm to let them know that you know your rights.

When our last caravan leaked the dealer was excellent putting through a guarantee claim and this meant we kept an excellent relationship with them and got good service when we wanted to change the caravan.

My 2017 Buccaneer with the silver sides, the sealant went on all the lockers at 27 months old and they were all redone by the dealer after a warranty claim was approved by Elddis.