Sign in to follow this  
GaryB1969

A novel fifth wheel solution

Want a fifth wheel caravan but don't drive a pick up? No problem if you're a creative American!

No this isn't in the UK. It isn't safe. It isn't recommended.  Just before those with no sense of humour chip in.

FB_IMG_1579334127976.jpg

• Like 5

So weight; mmm is the weight of the 5th wheel restricted by the capacity of the trailer mmmm FANTASTIC!

It’s also not legal in that configuration as it’s two individual trailers not one.

In the UK you are not permitted to tow more than a single trailer. And before any smart arts jumps onto their soap box yes there ARE some exceptions. One is a tractor towing “agricultural Implement” trailers (max of 2) or a “Showman’s” wagon.They can sometimes be seen on motorways towing fairground rides followed by a large caravan but there are very specific conditions that have to be met. The main one being they are registered, and taxed as a “Showman’s wagon” 

The one in the link is also not permitted in the UK because, as stated, it’s a turntable trailer and over run brakes are not permitted on them. The reason being that, in France, they WERE very popular with market traders. The problem came if there was a need to brake sharply whilst towing vehicle and trailer were not fully aligned. The towing vehicle would slow and, because the trailer wasn’t fully in line the trailer brakes wouldn’t operate efficiently, therefore the trailer continued on with turntable rotating further, this made the brakes even less efficient (because the over run ram was out of line) There were several deaths due these (heavy) trailers jackknifing/turning over.  So the E.U. banned their use a few years ago.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • +1 1

So the small brown coloured trailer is like an adapter to fit between the 5th wheeler and your tow car? Brilliant idea! Will I be able to tow it with my mini???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It’s also not legal in that configuration as it’s two individual trailers not one.

In the UK you are not permitted to tow more than a single trailer. And before any smart arts jumps onto their soap box yes there ARE some exceptions. One is a tractor towing “agricultural Implement” trailers (max of 2) or a “Showman’s” wagon.They can sometimes be seen on motorways towing fairground rides followed by a large caravan but there are very specific conditions that have to be met. The main one being they are registered, and taxed as a “Showman’s wagon” 

The one in the link is also not permitted in the UK because, as stated, it’s a turntable trailer and over run brakes are not permitted on them. The reason being that, in France, they WERE very popular with market traders. The problem came if there was a need to brake sharply whilst towing vehicle and trailer were not fully aligned. The towing vehicle would slow and, because the trailer wasn’t fully in line the trailer brakes wouldn’t operate efficiently, therefore the trailer continued on with turntable rotating further, this made the brakes even less efficient (because the over run ram was out of line) There were several deaths due these (heavy) trailers jackknifing/turning over.  So the E.U. banned their use a few years ago.

Andy

We came across this Morris Minor towing with what appears to be a bogey unit in between.  They had been all over the UK and France with it.

Morris Minor towing.jpg

It's a pickup that's been hacked down into a trailer. Red-neck engineering at it's finest.

Just now, Durbanite said:

We came across this Morris Minor towing with what appears to be a bogey unit in between.  They had been all over the UK and France with it.

Morris Minor towing.jpg

Ignoring my original post the Americans do sell a similar device to that called a Tow Hog (I think). It doesn't articulate and attaches solidly to the receiver hitch but it's wheels swivel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

It's a pickup that's been hacked down into a trailer. Red-neck engineering at it's finest.

Isn't Red neck (rooinek) a derogatory word for an Englishman and a word used by the Boers during the Boer wars?

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Isn't Red neck (rooinek) a derogatory word for an Englishman and a word used by the Boers during the Boer wars?

I may have been at one time,  but in this context it is used to describe a particular type of American.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I may have been at one time,  but in this context it is used to describe a particular type of American.

It is still used to this day to insult an Englishman.  I know as I have been on the receiving end but you are correct about the context.  :D

58 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Is that not classed in auld money as a "wagon and drag" ? The drag obviously being the trailer.... 

GAS ...

38 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It is still used to this day to insult an Englishman.  I know as I have been on the receiving end but you are correct about the context.  :D

Redneck nowadays is a term used mostly to describe an American citizen who is patriotic,  upholds the moral standards of a religious upbringing and is a decent law-abiding  American.

Edited by bessacarr425

2 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Redneck nowadays is a term used mostly to describe an American citizen who is patriotic,  upholds the moral standards of a religious upbringing and is a decent law-abiding  American.

Strange, I have only heard it used in the context of ignorant farm boys who spend too much time out working the ground in the heat of the sun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

Maybe a trailing axle to add more weight and stability for the caravan. Did drive a 6 wheeled Range Rover RIV that had a trailing fixed axle to take the weight of the light water foam tank. A lively load at high speed to be honest...

GAS...

Sorry I'm on about the Moggy 1000...

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

3 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

I know many 'mericans who meet that definition but would certainly not be classed as rednecks.

You forgot to add normally of limited intelligence and education and live in the south.

http://www.jefffoxworthy.com/

• Thanks 1
  • +1 2

How I see a ‘Redneck

John

• Like 2

We were told that a Redneck in the USA, by Americans confirmed your description Stevan; y'all entering Redneck Country -and there seemed to be plenty of Cousin Eddies (Lampoons Christmas Vacation).

46 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

How I see a ‘Redneck

John

That's what I CALL a piece of music John. I learned the guitar part of that many years ago, but never mastered the banjo part. (Does that make me a redneck?):blink:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Townie said:

That's what I CALL a piece of music John. I learned the guitar part of that many years ago, but never mastered the banjo part. (Does that make me a redneck?):blink:

Don’t think so as the guitarist in that was a city slicker.

Deliverance, one of my favourite films of all time.

A quick snippet of duelling banjos was on the latest ‘Breaking Dad’ episode featuring the 5 times world banjo champion who died before the the episode was aired. 

John

Edited by JCloughie

Went to the Blue Grass Banjo Festival in Longford , deepest Ireland. A must for any Blue Grass Banjo fan. Oh aye and if you play Duelling Banjo's you are taking ootside and shot !

GAS ...:blink:

9 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Is that not classed in auld money as a "wagon and drag" ? The drag obviously being the trailer.... 

GAS ...

No Gas, the photograph shows a "Dolly" which is specifically made for towing 5th wheel trailers

(artic trailers). If you look at the drawbar you will see that it is designed only for towing vehicles fitted with a "Hook". These are normally only found on agricultural tractors. These Dolly's are a thorn in the flesh for hauliers as they allow farmers to tow tri axle road trailers without any of the restrictions.

A Wagon and Drag, is a normal rigid chassis lorry (4or6 wheeler) towing a trailer which has a permanent dolly type front axle which cannot be detached from the trailer. This type of outfit was extensively used to carry light but bulky loads or where lorry chassis length was insufficient.

My forefathers had three wagon and drags which were used to haul Ferguson tractors from the factory in Coventry. (still have the photos). More recently, a local haulier used W&G to pull empty tattie boxes or loads of light weight vegetables. Down in your area, W&G were commonly used to haul large loads of straw and hay.

Looking at the original photograph of caravan, it brought a tinge of sadness to me, as my dad was in the process of converting our old Mazda pick up to a car trailer when he died.

I just could not bring myself to finishing the project.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bessacarr425 said:

Not on the USA-centric forums I often use.  The USA meaning of the term basically means a poor, white, agricultural worker, and it refers to the back of his neck getting sunburned from stooping over the crops he is tending. Perhaps equivalent to the UK "bumpkin".  It is meant as an insult to imply someone of low intelligence, but with a large over-estimate of their own capabilities and a cowboy mentality. Hooking a fifth-wheel caravan onto a beaten-up trailer with some home-spun welding is definitely redneck.

While the rig pictured is obviously flaky and would be illegal, there would be nothing unstable with a properly designed and constructed equivalent, even if it would still not be allowable under UK/EU law. That was the arrangement with horse-drawn artillery where the intermediate trailer, the limber. effectively made the two-wheeled gun into a 4-wheeled cart with a steerable front axle, relieving the horses of the weight of the gun trail. This arrangement continued even into WW2 with motorised tractors.  

Of course, wrt overrun braking, American trailers use electrically signalled braking.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/c0/be/1ec0be69e52a1c5ccf4aaf136c371fe8.jpg

Edited by Bolingbroke
Format

8 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

Hooking a fifth-wheel caravan onto a beaten-up trailer with some home-spun welding is definitely redneck.

A few examples of Redneck Engineering https://pleated-jeans.com/2015/10/13/25-genius-examples-of-redneck-engineering/