Old first timer

Odds

I've only just joined this forum as I was looking to buy a used caravan to replace paying for a 2 week in Scotland in a static and hoping the weather would be nice.  So  we were looking   to get a caravan so we could get up and go, or leaving it on site.  I've read through every thread on this site and to be honest our dream has been somewhat dampened, as it seems every caravan has major problems.  I just can't believe the problems people have with new caravans, let alone second hand. 

And that is the scary part, parting with so much cash for units that have known issues, and when they will show up

I know that's a gloomy introduction but it's reality.

Pete

You’ll only ever read of the bad ones. There’s many good, sound and dry Caravans out there when you start looking, you just need to take a few simple precautions before you buy such as getting an independent engineer to fully check over a prospective purchase. We’re on our fourth caravan and they have all been pretty well free of major issues. Currently on our second Swift which were very happy with.

:welcome:odds,  when you go into a shop and you have not had good service or something has gone wrong with an item you have bought, do you complain, because I do.  On the other hand when everything is as you expected do you tell the shop staff or the manager that it was all okay , just as you thought and hoped it would be, not exceptional , just okay, probably not, and that is the case on the forum when we are complaining about the caravans.  I hope you find your caravan and any questions , ask away, there's always someone to help on here. 

Edited by joanie

Happy Days

4 hours ago, Odds said:

I've only just joined this forum as I was looking to buy a used caravan to replace paying for a 2 week in Scotland in a static and hoping the weather would be nice.  So  we were looking   to get a caravan so we could get up and go, or leaving it on site.  I've read through every thread on this site and to be honest our dream has been somewhat dampened, as it seems every caravan has major problems.  I just can't believe the problems people have with new caravans, let alone second hand. 

And that is the scary part, parting with so much cash for units that have known issues, and when they will show up

Pete

Folk often get a distorted view looking at a website like CT as it looks like a nightmare with , seemingly, everyone moaning about their problems.  It's human nature for people to moan when they have an issue.  I think that in reality there are far fewer problem 'vans around than one would think by reading about the situation on here.  People don't come on here to make a 'song and dance' about their trouble free 'van, they simply get on with enjoying it!    :)

John.

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

4 hours ago, Odds said:

Pete

As said above, most people  join forums to find answers to their problems, so most posts are about problems,

Look on any forum for any model of car, any model of heating boiler/television/house/computer/printer and turns out every single item in the world has problems..

Carry out research, but generally speaking something that has an industry wide major fault usually gets published in the news (think Vauhall, Whirlpool etc). Never seen anything yet on caravans, and there are enough about that suggests the majority must be trouble-free.

Only thing I would warn is if you are considering a static van, rather than a touring van (by static, I mean one that cannot be hitched up to a car and moved at will) then the research needs to be on the site it will be on, rather than the van itself.

This forum has over 66000 members and chances are most have a caravan. There are no where near 66000 cases of problem caravans mentioned on here which helps suggest that most do not have problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive replies, it's probably my nature to look at the negatives first that is the problem  :)

So the search will continue with a more positive outlook, at least I will then get some peace from the boss as she now has her heart set on one.

I have loads of questions which I'll get round to soon, some may seem trivial to you good folk but to a first time owner they can be important.  Thanks once again.

We have caravanned for over forty years and are on our eighth caravan and touch wood have never had a serious problem but as others have said we tend not to post on here about it. Good luck with the search. It is a wonderful way to holiday.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

This forum has over 66000 members and chances are most have a caravan. There are no where near 66000 cases of problem caravans mentioned on here which helps suggest that most do not have problems.

Good Form Paul, Good Form

image.png.cafe733b707797b08fc0fe0ad90c21ac.png

Edited by colin h

I've had a couple of niggles with caravans, but no major faults with the ones that we have bought.

When looking at a van my rule is, does it smell OK, then does it look abused, does it feel like home, can I afford it. Right, then buy it.

Never been let down yet.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

We are on our seventh caravan and only one has had serious problems. As the others have said people with problems post more than the happy ones. The surveys by PC and C&CC show a satisfaction level of about 80% and even then I tend to think the complainers are more likely to report than the satisfied so possibly the real level is higher still. Having said that the industry turns out some real lemons and the level of service can be rubbish.

• Like 1

Just remember, you are looking at less than 100 people on this forum complaining about bad caravans.  The amount of caravans sold in the country, both good and bad, runs into the thousands.  Do you own a car?  Look at how many people go on about bad cars or electrical white goods.  You will buy them.  I've had 3 caravans (one was knicked), and all three (one secondhand and two new) have had no problem

In 2017 about 24,000 touring caravans were sold new into the UK market - from the NCC

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

last year they reckoned there were 555000 caravans and 225000 motor homes in the UK, no wonder we can't always get the pitch / site we want.

Happy Days

The forum is a good source of knowledge as there are so many experienced caravaners on here who always offer help. It's kind of part of the community o, if anyone is having difficulty everyone will help. That's my experience at least. That is why people largely put on issues to ask for help from other people. As said before most people don't experience issues or only minor ones. A caravan soon becomes a hobby/love affair and only perfection will do. 

When buying thought make sure you do a CRiS check and preferably get an engineer at least an experienced caravaner to check it over. Mistakes can be very costly.

• Like 1