Sign in to follow this  
Paul90125

Weight - wise and/or legal

13 minutes ago, Lutz said:

The above only applies to caravans and specifically to those fitted with dampers. Different values apply for other configurations. They can be as little as 30% (if no dampers are fitted) to 120% (for trailers other than caravans).

As this is a caravan forum, the 80 km/h speed limit applied to caravans over 100% are relevant

7 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

A reduction in speed is very sensible, far more than the guide.

Better to prevent as the German example would appear rather than cure, which is what our guide seems to do.

Only last week, remember the winds?, I was advising a fellow lorry driver to reduce speed to 50mph from our usual 52.8 mph as the increase in stability was noticeably, we drive german tractor units coupled to 16 foot high trailers.

So would you accept a restriction to 50 mph because your caravan outfit exceeds 100% ? With further reductions in poor conditions?

Edited by Black Grouse

8 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

So would you accept a restriction to 50 mph because your caravan outfit exceeds 100% ? With further reductions in poor conditions?

In a way, that’s comparable to what the french do for heavier outfits although in terms of car and caravan weight it has some obvious bizarre results - Kerb weight of 1300kg, gross vehicle weight of 1800kg and a towing limit of 1400kg (ie GVW of 3200kg) you could legally tow a 1400kg van at 130km/h. On the other hand our outfit (1505kg kerb, 2070kg gross and caravan of 1300kg on the hitch) is limited to 90km/h due to the towing limit being 2060kg!

40 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

As this is a caravan forum, the 80 km/h speed limit applied to caravans over 100% are relevant

But the forum also addresses tent trailers and there the 120% figure would apply.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

In a way I do now, self imposed, variable speeds dependent upon conditions.

I can vaguely remember, I'm 54 now  as a child my dad being stopped by the police because his trailer wasnt displaying a 50 mph sticker!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

In a way I do now, self imposed, variable speeds dependent upon conditions.

I can vaguely remember, I'm 54 now  as a child my dad being stopped by the police because his trailer wasnt displaying a 50 mph sticker!

That short-lived regulation allowed outfits under 100% towing ratio to tow at 50 mph, otherwise it was restricted to 40 - that was lifted to 60 mph in the mid-80s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

That short-lived regulation allowed outfits under 100% towing ratio to tow at 50 mph, otherwise it was restricted to 40 - that was lifted to 60 mph in the mid-80s.

So when did the guideline appear?

8 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

So when did the guideline appear?

The Caravan Club had an 80% guideline back in the 1950s along with the 40 bhp/ton guideline - at that time the towing speed limit was 40 mph.

• Thanks 1

We ran a mondeo with twin axle caravan for a year or two .  Weight percentage was 113% according to the calcs but towed it lovely and was all very stable.  

I regularly tow big IFOR trailers etc (3500kg)  around so got quite a bit of experience towing 

• Like 1

My tow car, and in fact the 2 prior to this one have all been Volvo V40's of late 90s to early 00s vintage, kerb weight of 1300kg, gross weight of 1800kg, and my single axle 1990 abbey GT 516 has a mptlm of 1250kg, and it's not a particularly nice tow, granted the last 2 have been hideously underpowered for the task, but the current one is the T4 turbo edition so 200 horsepower and 300nM of torque so bags of grunt, still less than impressive, I wouldn't say it's an unsafe tow, just not a very rewarding one,  out of the 3 cars I've had aftermarket adjustable height coilovers on the first one to replace worn out originals, brand new standard sports suspension on the 2nd car for the same reason, and on the current one I've got aftermarket but a highly regarded brand(h&r) lowering springs and new gas shocks, not great with either car, these just don't like it.

Edited by clarkey1984

Sign in to follow this