Sign in to follow this  
Tadge

Buying A Car From The Internet

Anyone give me opinions on this deal plus the company???

This is probably our new towcar if everythings ok.

http://www. simpledeal. co. uk/vehicles/Car_D. ..sID=8&Cat=1

They dont seem to do Volvos --- :angry:

so thumbs down from me. ..

I've just checked the price on "simpledeal" against what my brother in law paid for a Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet with "drive the deal" and they are almost identical. So i doubt your Nissan will be much cheaper elsewhere, and simpledeal do have a price promise.

If in doubt insist on paying on collection. The choice is yours.

Good luck

Hi Angus & RogerL

I agree with you both, I would prefer to do business with someone I have met and know where to find in case of any problems. I am even prepared to pay a small premium for the privilege. But lets not forget the inflated prices we have historically had to pay for our cars in the UK and the generally poor service dealers on the whole tend to offer not to mention the fact that a lot, if not most of the new cars sold on the web have come from main dealers in the first place!

Tadge

PS. If I can get a new passat for within £180 of the web price, Angus, I would jump at it :rolleyes:

Hi Tadge,

One other thing I forgot to throw into the equation was that this is my third Passat, and they are all dealer serviced whilst under warranty. They took this into account when working out my deal as they will probably make more profit on my servicing charges than on actually retailing the car. As I do a fair mileage they see quite a bit of the car,(they checked my account details) cover their costs on the sale and make money over the next three years.

Better than not getting a sale at all.

Hi Roger,

Sorry but your generalising is a bit unfair, on this occasion. No doubt there will be many 'I've been ripped off' stories, but do you really look on car salespeople and believe that they're all bad?

Regards,

Ian.

Ian, I didn't say car salesmen are bad.

All the one's I've met understand that potential customers can find out internet prices very easily, in the same way that they can find out what other dealers are offering. It's competition, they're used to it.

I feel sorry for car workers, and other groups, who's jobs are uncertain but not for commission-based salesmen selling me something I've decided I need. To be fair to them I always make clear when I'm simply requesting information/brochures etc with no prospect of a sale.

Hi Tadge,

One other thing I forgot to throw into the equation was that this is my third Passat, and they are all dealer serviced whilst under warranty. They took this into account when working out my deal as they will probably make more profit on my servicing charges than on actually retailing the car. As I do a fair mileage they see quite a bit of the car,(they checked my account details) cover their costs on the sale and make money over the next three years.

Better than not getting a sale at all.

Oh, and we bought two, which again exerts a little more pressure.

I was VERY surprised with the North / South divide on the price of cars when you look on the INTERNET. . for the same spec vehicle and with similar mileages etc you can be paying as much as £2,000 difference if you live in the South. .. and this was from National Main dealers web sites. ..

Maurice

Hi Angus

Second one just slipped your mind! I know it happens to me all the time :)

Tadge

Edited by Tadge

It comes with old age, Tadge!

Should point out the `we` refers to company purchase.

Theres no way I`d spend that amount of money on a car!

But I still want a deal though>

How right you are, what were we talking about!!

Tadge

Ian, I didn't say car salesmen are bad.

All the one's I've met understand that potential customers can find out internet prices very easily, in the same way that they can find out what other dealers are offering. It's competition, they're used to it.

I feel sorry for car workers, and other groups, who's jobs are uncertain but not for commission-based salesmen selling me something I've decided I need. To be fair to them I always make clear when I'm simply requesting information/brochures etc with no prospect of a sale.

Hi Roger,

You mention not feeling sorry for "Commission Based Salesmen". Most of the people you are referring to get a pitance of a basic wage and then earn commission on sales. I don't know anything about your occupation or whether you have had a business of your own, but in discussion with business men I know, I have asked what pecentage profit they like to retain when selling. I will tell you it is a damned sight more than the dealerships earn from selling a car.

New cars sales retain on average about 5-10% of the selling price, deduct from that preparation costs and overheads, that leaves even less.

Many salesmen are paid on net profit so they get a percentage of whats left. They work on average a 6 day week 9am till the last customer leaves the site and bank holidays . You don't here the dealer announcing over the tannoy that the site will close in 10 minutes like you do in B&Q.

A salesman will have to sell between 20 & 30 cars per month to earn a decent living, the ever changing car they drive as a demo, is taxed to the hilt by HMRC based on the manufacturers list price, as they do very little mileage and usually drive a well spec'd car(which in most cases they do not get to choose, and the tax man calls it a perk!).

So I have every simpathy for the guy who spends even 10 minutes of his time explaining models and specifications with someone who has no intention of buying from him.

Before you buy off the internet, think about who will do your warranty work and who will you complain to if you have a merchandise complaint.

You only have to look to caravan dealers to see how mercenary they are about completing warranty work on caravans they have not sold, so don't expect too warm a welcome from a car dealer if you take your car to them to have it repaired under warranty.

Steve

Edited by Grandpa-Steve

I don't have any sympathy with anybody, if you don't like the work you do get a different job. Is the post above meant to make us feel sorry for carsalesmen? I would rather sweep the streets than sell cars, you work 6 days a week, bank holidays, no perks, and god knows how many hours a week all for what?

As Gordon Ramsey said 'If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen get out!!!!'

Stuart M

Sorry double post!!!

Edited by Deepinvet

I don't have any sympathy with anybody, if you don't like the work you do get a different job. Is the post above meant to make us feel sorry for carsalesmen? I would rather sweep the streets than sell cars, you work 6 days a week, bank holidays, no perks, and god knows how many hours a week all for what?

As Gordon Ramsey said 'If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen get out!!!!'

Stuart M

Hi Stuart,

I am really sorry that you cannot find simpathy with anybody, no one said they didn't like the job, nor anything about standing the heat so I am not sure which post you were reading.

If you would rather sweep streets then that is your choice!!!!!!!!!!

All I was doing in adding my post was to offer an informed alternative view, so you might want to re think how you can respond to posts in a more positive manner in the future. I note you are fairly new to the forum so may not be aware that this is supposed to be a forum for like minded people to enjoy sharing thoughts and experiences on caravaning related issues, not an opportunity to post ill-concieved metaphores.

Like most jobs in sales, it is a job where you are paid on your achievements, in this case selling cars and making profit.

If the dealers didn't make profit, there would be no showrooms for you to view and test drive your cars before you bought them off the internet, what do you think keeps these showrooms open. ........................ "Profit", which is not a dirty word, every business needs to make some to survive.

Do you have an issue in supermarkets or highstreet stores where their mark up and profits are considerably more than made in car sales. The car & caravan trade is the only sales area I know where a discount is automatically expected, so how about the next time you get to the checkout with your weeks shopping you should ask the assistant for a discount and wait for the reaction.

Everybody has the right to expect a decent wage for the work they do (even the road sweeper).

Steve

Edited by Grandpa-Steve

Car and caravan buyers "expect" a discount because these are traditionally over-priced in the UK, compared to European countries, because Brits don't like negotiating.

Car discount websites will supply most models, directly from a UK franchised dealer, at 10-15% off list price. One or two recent models have no discount but some well established models are available at 25% off. Dealers could reduce their prices but won't.

I'm currently considering buying a new British/European car, list price £27080 with the options I want. I can get this from a trusted internet site for £20446, saving £6734, with absolutely no extras to add on. It'll be delivered from a franchised dealer and all warranty/service work will be done at the local dealer for that franchise.

I now have two options:-

1) Go into my local dealer, show the salesman these details and ask how close he can get to that or

2) Simply order it over the internet and not even give the salesman a chance of a sale.

Don't expect me to subsidise anyone out of my hard-earned cash.

Car and caravan buyers "expect" a discount because these are traditionally over-priced in the UK, compared to European countries, because Brits don't like negotiating.

Car discount websites will supply most models, directly from a UK franchised dealer, at 10-15% off list price. One or two recent models have no discount but some well established models are available at 25% off. Dealers could reduce their prices but won't.

I'm currently considering buying a new British/European car, list price £27080 with the options I want. I can get this from a trusted internet site for £20446, saving £6734, with absolutely no extras to add on. It'll be delivered from a franchised dealer and all warranty/service work will be done at the local dealer for that franchise.

I now have two options:-

1) Go into my local dealer, show the salesman these details and ask how close he can get to that or

2) Simply order it over the internet and not even give the salesman a chance of a sale.

Don't expect me to subsidise anyone out of my hard-earned cash.

Hi Roger,

I would go with the first option, however it is worth taking hard facts with you as no one will negotiate on heresay.

Take a print from the website or provide a quote and at least you have given the dealer a chance, just be sure you are comparing the exact same car, make model and specification etc

Cheers

Steve

Hi Bennetts37

I think you are on a bit of a loser with this one. Whilst you are quite right saying everyone deserves a decent wage for what they do. The directors of the dealerships never suffer when times are hard only the salesmen.

Just an observation or two i have on the subject:

When i bought my picasso i took the internet deal to my dealer. The salesman first said it was not true. After viewing the website he indicated buying from them would result in better service etc. When asked for his best deal i was offered an ex demo 1000 mile Picasso with no choice of colour and the lower desire spec. Hence i bought off the internet. When i booked in the first service i told them i had a company car and could they do the service. Guess what, they were only to willing to help. The after sales team have been excellent three services and two warrany jobs without a quibble. If not a company car tell them you have moved into the area, how will they know any different?

I believe the reason caravan dealers are more of a problem, when it comes to warranty work, is because of volumes sold. Caravan dealers tend to know where the discounters are and when you take your van in for a service if it comes out of area and its from a discounted van dealer then some, not all, may be less willing to help you. Again, if you feel comfortable with it, tell them you have moved into the area and have heard how good they are etc. ....

Car showrooms will never go out of business. Even if everyone bought of the internet then the manufacturers would still have to have showrooms to showcase their products.

A great deal of internet sales are delivered from main dealers who are quite happy to sell via the internet because they know in 99% of the sales their dealership would never had made the sale - it's an extra sale for them and more commission for their team. Indirectly the large dealers are taking the sales away from their smaller dealership colleagues.

This practice is also actively supported by the manufactures who use it as a means of ensuring there more popular models remain at the top of the sales chart. When i bought my Picasso the dealer told me Citroen had increased his allowed sales to 75 Picasso's month as Citroen wanted to keep the Picasso ahead of the Zafira.

The poor salesman is at the bottom of the foodchain and whilst i have some sympathy with him, when i found times hard in the past i got a second job to help support my family.

Enough now

Regards

Swanny

Edited by swanny65

I've had a couple of chats this afternoon that confirm/clarify my thoughts.

I went to see the salesman at my local dealership, that I've purchased from in the past, told him the car I was interested in and the best deal I'd found on the internet. Of course he offered me 8% discount, their full margin, and a further 2% by inflating the trade-in value but couldn't get even close to 25% from the internet. We then had a chat about old times and I left when a potential customer came in.

Later I called an aquaintance who works for a company providing "management cars" for Ford PAG and other UK car manufacturers' employees, leasing companies and large company fleets. He explained that the proportion of retail customers is so small nowadays that manufacturers effectively operate two price lists, at significantly different levels. Given the general availability of internet discount dealers, he does wonder why anyone actually buys cars based on RRP from franchised dealers.

In my experience, having had both privately purchased and leased cars, the quality of service from dealers workshops during warranty and/or service work doesn't depend on source of the vehicle. I'm aware that car and caravan purchases differ in this respect.

Hi Roger

I agree entirely. My company car was serviced yesterday by Dingles in Lowestoft. Excellent customer service.

In fact the day it was delivered by Hodgson of Newcastle it went wrong (All the lights stayed on the dashboard.) Called Dingles and they looked at it that evening, let me have a car as they had to keep it overnight and fixed it the next day. The dealers still have to be up to scratch otherwise they may lose the franchise.

It just a pity HRMC tax us on the list price and not the price our company or the leasing company pays for the cars - LOL

Edited by swanny65

It just a pity HRMC tax us on the list price and not the price our company or the leasing company pays for the cars - LOL

Many company cars users are switching, where they can, to taking a taxed allowance from their employer and then buying their own car from a discount dealer - they often pay less tax and get a better car.

I will let you know -- collecting my new car -- sight unseen on Wednesday --- bought over the internet !!

:rolleyes: Just saved £8000 on a new Nissan X-Trail Adventura, we went upto Motorhouse in Cannock, initially we didn't realise the specification/cost until we visited a Nissan dealer 200yards down the road.

The X-trail is costing us £16000, compared with RRP £24,000 it is new, unregistered, and Motorhouse were very open about it being an import. This did worry me at first, I called nissan expecting them not to be very helpful, instead they were very helpful. They confirmed that the car is covered by a PAN European 3 year warranty, they even suggested that they could check the chassis number. This they did, and all looks OK, just waiting for the vehicle to be registered.

:rolleyes: Just saved £8000 on a new Nissan X-Trail Adventura, we went upto Motorhouse in Cannock, initially we didn't realise the specification/cost until we visited a Nissan dealer 200yards down the road.

The X-trail is costing us £16000, compared with RRP £24,000 it is new, unregistered, and Motorhouse were very open about it being an import. This did worry me at first, I called nissan expecting them not to be very helpful, instead they were very helpful. They confirmed that the car is covered by a PAN European 3 year warranty, they even suggested that they could check the chassis number. This they did, and all looks OK, just waiting for the vehicle to be registered.

Hi, Just a word of caution, are you absolutely sure the car is the exact make model and specification you are expecting.

The reason I am sceptical is that Nissan supply the X-Trail in both 2wd and 4wd, my concern is that you have bought the 2wd model expecting it to be a 4wd.

Please re check this, I hope all is well and that you have the correct spec, £8000 sounds a massive amount of discount on any car even an import.

Please let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Steve

THe Nissan X-Trail Aventura isn't available in 2wd form in the UK.

UK Direct are currently doing the X-Trail Aventura for £21,272 for UK vehicles supplied by a Nissan dealer.

I suggest discussing Motorpoint, Cannock with Staffordshire Trading Standards - I hope that's worded well enough not to give the moderators problems.

Hi All,

Don't forget that the resale value of an import may be a lot lower than that of a UK car, as found by two friends who both imported Opel Zafiras (one even changed to Vauxhall badges but it made no difference),

Regards,

Ian

Importing Opels and rebadging them as Vauxhalls is illegal IF the car is passed off as a Vauxhall, that's what my earlier post refers to!

It is of course legal to rebadge a car if it's origins aren't hidden - a number of Vauxhall owners rebadge as Opel or Holden, just to be different.