Buying A Car From The Internet

Tadge

Would any folks out there who’ve bought a car off the web like to share their experiences with me (us all). I’m particularly interested in a Passat Estate or Honda Accord Tourer (diesel versions).

But any information on recommended sites, ones to avoid, delivery promises kept/broken, savings made etc. would be very helpful

Thanks in advance

Tadge

Edited by Tadge

We used the internet to source our last vehicle, We searched via dealers until we found suitable vehicles then went to the dealers to test drive. Whilst we covered a large area to test drive vehicles it meant that we could search for a specific model and spec. Eventually we bought from a dealer 70 miles from home and saved £4500 compared to buying the same vehicle from a local dealer.

We also used the web to source a vehicle for my parents, they were looking for an X type jaguar, only used ones locally were petrol models, I managed through the web to source a lower mileage diesel and again they saved around £2000. So for us the web is a great tool.

We also sourced our caravan via the web and have no complaints.

Hi del

That was quick!

Did you find the dealers websites yourself or did you go through someone like uknewcars. co. uk?

Tadge

I used internet searches last year when my son needed a "new" car. The Autotrader website gave us the most "suspects" by a long way but as always there's plenty of carp out there being described as good condition. I covered a lot of miles! The one he bought, on my recommendation, has not given any surprises despite being bought from a home trader (who didn't hide that fact).

If you're looking at new or nearly new from a car supermarket then check out their sources of vehicles, whether it's an official import, etc

I've used drivethedeal. com twice for new cars. Excellent service, highly recommended. The only downside was a trip to the SE ( from manchester) to pick up the cars. Delivery was a free option, but I prefer to do the running in meself . .. !

Hi Tadge,

I will always travel to save a few pounds, so the internet is invaluable. For example, I saved over £1100 on our local best price by travelling 40 to 50 miles. I would say go for it if the dealer is reputable ( in our case a main dealer, so no worry),

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I bought my first Citroen through Drivethedeal. com I found them excellent, although I had to go to North London to collect the car. When I was ready for my next one I contacted DTD again and got their price. I then went to my local Citroen dealer and asked them if they could match. They could - and I bought from them.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I've used the Landrover 'approved' vehicles search to great effect twice now - the car comparison features and search facilities with photos of the actual vehicles has made it very easy to do the research.

Since it's backed by the manufacturer and the dealers offer a comprehensive aftercare as part of the 'approved' label I'm much more confident than I would be of "eBay Motors"

ATB

Moose

I bought my 07 Passat SE Estate on the web.

I spent many hours looking to see who would give me the best deal and who I would feel comfortable dealing with. I ended up with two Broadspeed and JamJar. I spoke to both on the telephone. JamJar said they would get a dealer to ring me they never did. Broadspeed who were the lowest price put me in touch with Inchcape. Inchcape were very helpful on the phone and arranged a test drive with my local VW dealer, less than a mile from my home. The local dealer took my trade in at about what I expected to get for the car and the deal was signed for the price I got off the www. Which was about 10% of everything including towbar and electrics, The car was built to my specification, delivery about 12 weeks. I had regular phone calls from Inchcape head office. Was I satisfied with the service I was get etc. I was well pleased and now wouldn't even consider buying a car any other way.

John

We have bought 2 cars using the internet. The first we completed on the web with Allbrandsnew and picked the car up in Hull, bit of a trek for us but made a good day out, the second we got a price off drivethedeal and went to the local dealer who matched it. The only issue we had was that the first car was registered on a fleet contract and then registered to us which meant we had to change the warranty to a private one with the manufacturer (apparently they are different). That is the only thing I have heard with some web suppliers and you should check with the manufacturer that the warranty is set up correctly.

HTH

Ted

We too checked out prices on the internet and then took the best we found to our local dealer who almost matched it as we had no trade-in. For the little extra we paid we felt better using a dealer we had experience with. We bought a Volvo XC90.

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

Many dealers, who wish to remain competitive, check internet prices regularly. I alway check tyre prices on the internet but my local independent garage can always quote a few pence lower when fitting etc is added - needless to say they always get my business.

Would any folks out there who’ve bought a car off the web like to share their experiences with me (us all). I’m particularly interested in a Passat Estate or Honda Accord Tourer (diesel versions).

But any information on recommended sites, ones to avoid, delivery promises kept/broken, savings made etc. would be very helpful

Thanks in advance

Tadge

Ken.

Bailey Senator Wyoming pulled by Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

I bough a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport on the internet from Switchcar. co. uk recently. Very efficient and saved aboubt

£1500 against local dealer prices.

Ken Wood.

Ken.

Bailey Senator Wyoming pulled by Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

Anyone give me opinions on this deal plus the company???

This is probably our new towcar if everythings ok.

http://www. simpledeal. co. uk/vehicles/Car_D. ..sID=8&Cat=1

The origin state "import" but specification isn't available - check exactly what equipment and features you'll actually get.

I bought my Picasso online and saved over £4500 on the dealer price. However being an investigator i was very suspicious of sending money and waiting for delivery.

Pay by Visa/Mastercard as you may find you are covered by there fraud insurance - it will cost a few pounds extra but so what you are quids in anyway.

Collect your vehicle. You can run it in and get used to it. More importantly you will be able to check the engine and chassis numbers against the paperwork you should have been sent.

When checking the vehicle find out who supplied it from service book, tax disc holder, number plate logo etc (most are pre-registered a day or two beforehand) and give them a quick call to confirm authenticity.

Check your supplier / broker with the local trading standards office, they may have complaints about them.

If worried or in doubt use a well known source eg virgincars.

You will find some companies / brokers pass on your business to a dealer / supplier and you pay the broker a fee (normally the deposit) and the dealer / supplier the balance. This is what i did.

Finally be prepared to pay for your vehicle Registration Document as the supplier wont tell the DVLA you bought the car when he gets his VQ4. I believe this will cost you about £20. 00.

Edited by swanny65

Kia Carens 2. 0 GS CRDi / 2009 Compass Corona Club 556

Some really helpful insights so far into “Buying from the Internet” thanks to all contributors, many of which have helped me personally and those that havent I’m sure have helped others.

If you have internet experience of buying a car, share it with us and if we can get up to something like statistically significant numbers (even if we can’t) I’ll collate the results. Any information on recommended sites, ones to avoid, delivery promises kept/broken, savings made etc. , you know the drill, would be helpful.

Just to give you my take on this, the day before I made the original post my wife and I had a test drive in the VW Passat Estate and when we got around to discussing price I (foolishly) mentioned the internet.

Well! I can only describe the response as a ‘tirade’ and on the way out my wife and I looked at each other and she said “Do you think he was a bit desperate?”

Well yes, but it also made me think about our perceptions of the internet, I know that I have been unduly influenced by one bad review. Which? Says nice things about a vehicle and on parkers. co. uk you read 7 or 8 good reviews and then one guy slag’s it off, and that’s what I remember.

So, can we add a bit of weight to our experiences and get a balanced response, good or bad, If of the 192 folk who have looked at this post have something to add, do it!

Cheers

Tadge

Edited by Tadge

TBH, I can understand his upset but not condone his language or behavior.

If all you`ve got are internet sales, where are you going to get a test drive?

Showrooms and salesmen cost money, and thats what you pay for. By all means drive a hard bargain and screw every penny you can out of them, but at the end of the day if by buying off the internet to save every penny the dealers go to the wall who is going to do your warranty work? How much is your resale value going to be without a dealers network?(think Rover)

Hi Angus

You may have a point, and rather than sitting on it, can you give us your take on it. It is after all a big question, internet v high street where will it all end. Hopefully after my retirement days are over, but maybe not!

Tadge

TBH, I can understand his upset but not condone his language or behavior.

If all you`ve got are internet sales, where are you going to get a test drive?

Showrooms and salesmen cost money, and thats what you pay for. By all means drive a hard bargain and screw every penny you can out of them, but at the end of the day if by buying off the internet to save every penny the dealers go to the wall who is going to do your warranty work? How much is your resale value going to be without a dealers network?(think Rover)

I can't understand his upset.

Every car salesman worthy of the name knows very well that many, perhaps most, potential customers actually do research prices on the internet before going to negotiate directly with a dealer.

It's no different to "company car choosers" getting test drives and then having the leasing company determine where the car is bought - these account for nearly 3/4 of car sales.

New car showrooms are there to showcase the manufacturer's products - don't start feeling sorry for car salesmen, they don't need it!

Hi Angus

You may have a point, and rather than sitting on it, can you give us your take on it. It is after all a big question, internet v high street where will it all end. Hopefully after my retirement days are over, but maybe not!

Tadge

Hi Tadge

When sourcing my new Passat I did the internet trawl thing, went to a main dealer who was incredibly helpful but couldn`t match the internet price for the pec I wanted. He could however get what I wanted in a week,and was £180. 00 more expensive.

I don`t consider that expensive for the convenience, back up and product knowledge.

When I picked the car up there was a tiny stone chip on a wheel arch they hadn`t spotted (I`m a fine toothcomb merchant!). The salesman arranged to come to my work (20 miles away) leave HIS car (another Passat) and take mine to their body shop (which I drive past on my way to work) as the courtesy cars supplied by the body shop are only Polos! That I believe is service worthy of patronage.

I`m certainly not advocating only buy from a main dealer, but 180 quid on a twenty grand car is nowt really, and if I can get that level of service for that price,I would consider it a better deal than buying from the internet where product knowledge will probably be less (unless they`re experts at everything) and after sales is unlikely to be as good.

I do try to support local jobs where I can, without them there is no community, but it need not cost a fortune.

The last time I bought my main TV I did the Comet, Currys et al, then went to my local retailler. He actually knew what he was talking about ( how to stave off technical obsolescence a while longer,etc) and for less than 20 quid more than the `big boys` delivered, installed it and tuned it in.

To my mind the price was more, but the value was better. Depends which you view as more important.

Hi Angus & RogerL

I agree with you both, I would prefer to do business with someone I have met and know where to find in case of any problems. I am even prepared to pay a small premium for the privilege. But lets not forget the inflated prices we have historically had to pay for our cars in the UK and the generally poor service dealers on the whole tend to offer not to mention the fact that a lot, if not most of the new cars sold on the web have come from main dealers in the first place!

Tadge

PS. If I can get a new passat for within £180 of the web price, Angus, I would jump at it :rolleyes:

I can't understand his upset.

Every car salesman worthy of the name knows very well that many, perhaps most, potential customers actually do research prices on the internet before going to negotiate directly with a dealer.

It's no different to "company car choosers" getting test drives and then having the leasing company determine where the car is bought - these account for nearly 3/4 of car sales.

New car showrooms are there to showcase the manufacturer's products - don't start feeling sorry for car salesmen, they don't need it!

Hi Roger,

Sorry but your generalising is a bit unfair, on this occasion. No doubt there will be many 'I've been ripped off' stories, but do you really look on car salespeople and believe that they're all bad?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.