Sign in to follow this  
Fortyfoot

Volvo maps

There are quite a few errors on Volvo maps, which could lead you to breaking the speed limits. Every time I go out I see a wrong speed limit on the Volvo map. I am using a version which I downloaded last year. Below is what I got on a 30mph limited road this morning!  Roundabouts are called "squares" and cash machines are shown as dollar signs! I would have thought there would have been a UK version!

mph.jpg

That's annoying but are you sure there's no mph/km/h option ?

Volvo owners manuals aren't easy reading but it might be in there somewhere - or just a ask a main dealer ?

Edited by CJ1149
typo
  • Thanks 1

Most speed limits are fine, in mph.

There is so much to learn on these cars, mine is 2014, newer one have more features.  I am told that newer cars use Google Maps instead thank goodness.

• Like 1

I have a 2018 V90 and so far the speed limits displayed are spot on, including temporary limits. It's a good job as it'stoo complicated for my patience level to change anything! 

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortyfoot said:

There are quite a few errors on Volvo maps, which could lead you to breaking the speed limits. Every time I go out I see a wrong speed limit on the Volvo map.

Use the mk1 eyeball - speed limits are indicated by big signs with a red ring and the maximum speed in the centre - no satnav will ever be accurate enough to rely on to stay legal, and then there's temporary speed limits.

• Like 2

Have`nt had any problems with our 2018 XC60 system, the previous Garmin was more inaccurate.

• Like 1

Our cars have factory NAV. (Jag and VAG). The VAG system has the upgraded £1750 option. 

I've previously used Ford, older VAG satnav and BMW.

Nothing is as reliable for routing and traffic info as Google Maps/Waze.  I don't bother with any incar SatNavs now, it's either Android Auto or a phone cradle for me.

As for speed limit indication, the SatNav based systems are not reliable and even when backed up with the newer camera based systems they are not 100% so I don't use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I frequent a roads forum - they report daily what's happening with maps & satnavs with regard to the new section of A14 near Huntingdon which has partially opened - NONE of the online maps/satnavs are 100% accurate, some showed it open before it actually did, others have the road correct but speed limits wrong and few have got accurate traffic reporting there.

Before a journey, I pre-plan my route using the car satnav (updated to 2019), Google Maps, an old MS Autoroute (2010) and a current road atlas - they all vary so I decide which way to go based on experience and intuition.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Use the mk1 eyeball - speed limits are indicated by big signs with a red ring and the maximum speed in the centre - no satnav will ever be accurate enough to rely on to stay legal, and then there's temporary speed limits.

Sadly even the Mk1 eyeball is no match for the decreasing standards of sign and roadside maintenance,  which maybe why some drivers seek the assurance of some of the technology solutions. Of course there are no guarantees.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

A bit difficult where the sign is overgrown, and not visible, or where the sign has been hit or vandalised and you can't tell what the limit is.  Essex cc is useless at keeping this stuff maintained

• Thanks 1

I see you have an XC60, Which year, there was an update for 2016 onwards in November. I also use Google maps on my iPhone. Sainsbury's have a holder for phones which is easy to attach to dash and holds the phone at eye level.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lunarloopy said:

I see you have an XC60, Which year, there was an update for 2016 onwards in November. I also use Google maps on my iPhone. Sainsbury's have a holder for phones which is easy to attach to dash and holds the phone at eye level.

Mine is 2014, I updated last November. I must admit that I find google maps is better for diverting to quicker routes.

My last car was an Xtrail and my phone sat neatly against the speedo without obstructing it.

Overgrown hedges are also a problem in Yorkshire!

It's also a problem/difficult to know every speed limit while driving through unfamiliar areas in traffic. It's in these situations that I'm thankful for the Volvo display. Of course it isn't going to be accurate 100% of the time but it's a lot better than guessing or stopping to measure the distance between street lights........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

but it's a lot better than guessing or stopping to measure the distance between street lights........

There are very few, if any, urban areas where the streetlight spacing is marginal - if there's streetlights it's a 30 limit unless a different limit is posted when there will be regular repeaters.

• Like 1

I'm too engrossed watching traffic when in an unfamiliar area to notice the presence or not of street lights. Road signs are the No.1 speed communication but an on screendashboard reminder is a helpful assistant for me.

Edited by GaryB1969