Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Roof strap leaks, a dealers explanation

Took my Phoenix in for its first service this morning and got chatting to the workshop manager. For some reason the matter of the rear roof “strap” springing a water leak cropped up. His (informed) response was very interesting.  So I thought I would share it! 

Apparently the early Alutech bodyshells had five clamps holding the two roof sections together. After a while, and following a good few warranty claims for water ingress, Bailey upgraded the number of clamps from five to seven, and the problem seems to have gone away. So if you have an early Alutech remove the internal trim of the joint (it just pulls down) and count the number of clamps. 7 is good, 5 is not so good. 

If you have five it might might be worth asking your dealer to upgrade to seven at its next service.  

Andy

• Like 1

IIRC the clamps fit into recesses machined into each side of the roof. So adding a couple of extra clamps might not be practical. Ours is a 2014 model which leaked after just over a year. Since it was repaired about three years ago(a temporary repair was done by myself) it's been fine. Think another problem was using a silicone seal on the joint. The modification involved a non setting mastic strip. 

• Like 1

Andy did he indicate which year models started with 7 clamps?

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

Andy did he indicate which year models started with 7 clamps?

Yes he did,  but I cannot remember what year it was, sorry!! 

Andy

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

IIRC the clamps fit into recesses machined into each side of the roof. So adding a couple of extra clamps might not be practical. Ours is a 2014 model which leaked after just over a year. 

Now the workshop manager DIDNT pass that little nugget on!! 

Is yours a 5 or 7 clamp roof? 

Andy

It's a long while ago. I only removed it the first time it leaked in 2015. I would guess 5 clamps though. The inner cover strip is very flimsy as it's cut away to clear the clamps. Be careful if you attempt to remove it,support it along its length. The 2014 Pursuit was the first model with that roofline, followed by the 2015 Unicorn 3 and the 2016 Pegasus. 

Though the Orion used a much more rounded rear. 

Edited by Dobloseven
Wrong model no.

And also on the later model the roof strap trim on the roof is wider

Hi Andy

Have removed & replaced well over 50 roof straps now & have never added additional clamps, neither has our dealership received any bulletins from Baileys to add additional slots to fix more clamps when fitting the new strap. Prior to working for a dealer I worked for Baileys for 14years & the first leakers were blamed on the manufacturer of the GRP changing the chemical make up of the gel coat which caused the sealant not to bond to the roof creating a water tight seal. Since then they have moved on & now fit a wider roof strap than the original design & bond it with a non drying sealant that remains flexible, unfortunately the 2 water management caps at each end of the rail are still fitted using a sealant called RV61 which may still cause potential issues in the future.

Always good to hear from someone who has first hand practical experience of any issue. 

Thanks

Andy

Will have result of damp test next week as my Pursuit in for service now.

2018 model straps do not look wide.

As well as routine first service I've asked for brake noise to be seen to, front blind hard to roll up and folding shower door out of square to be looked at.

Looking back over this thread I realise my initial post could cause a bit of confusion. 

The workshop manager did NOT suggest that the fitting of additional clamps was advisable, or even possible. It was a semi suggestion of my own making. 

Andy

On 15/01/2020 at 18:42, Mr Plodd said:

Took my Phoenix in for its first service this morning and got chatting to the workshop manager. For some reason the matter of the rear roof “strap” springing a water leak cropped up. His (informed) response was very interesting.  So I thought I would share it! 

Apparently the early Alutech bodyshells had five clamps holding the two roof sections together. After a while, and following a good few warranty claims for water ingress, Bailey upgraded the number of clamps from five to seven, and the problem seems to have gone away. So if you have an early Alutech remove the internal trim of the joint (it just pulls down) and count the number of clamps. 7 is good, 5 is not so good. 

If you have five it might might be worth asking your dealer to upgrade to seven at its next service.  

Andy

Had mine replaced under warranty on 2017 CADIZ, the strap is wider than the original one that leaks