Sign in to follow this  
Sam18

Rollout awning advice

Hi, 

I am after some advice please?

I have bought a Sprite Major 4 2013 caravan & would like to buy a rollout awning (the type that stay fixed to the caravan and rolls up into a bag). I am wondering if anyone know the maximum size awning I can have as on the ones I have seen have been attached to the straight edge of the van and does not protrude around the front angle (like a traditional awning) 

Any advice or recommend on brand and model would be appreciated?

The awning we would like would have to the option for the attachable sides & front. 

Thanks,

Sam

I used to use a fiama one. You basically measure the length of the straight section of awning rail, and get the one that fits this length. 
now, I stopped using mine, as it’s very prone to wind lift, even when using heavy duty awning tie downs. Also the exposed edges can frap in a slight breeze, and make an awful noise. 
for a quick shelter in calm (I.e. not windy) conditions they are good. Anything more than a gentle breeze, not much good

Measure the straight section of the awning, that will give you the maximum length. 

Dont lose sight of the fact the weight of it will have to come off your payload. 

Also I am not sure that these type of awnings can be used with side and front panels, To the best of my knowledge it’s the Motorhome version (Fiamma Zip) that can have side/front panels attached (and those wind out awnings are HEAVY) 

Andy

Have you considered an Isobella Shadow. lighter and they are easier to put up and take down,  especially if it becomes very windy. All these type of sun shades are only suitable for use in good conditions.

You can buy a Fiamma Zip awning in a bag which fixes to the awning rail. As others have said you will be restricted to the max straight section of the awning rail as they cannot tolerate any bends in the rail.

As others have said the canopy itself is ok in calm conditions but not great in wind. Zip the sides in and it is much more stable. The zip in sections are ok but rain comes in around the door/windows through the stitching so only good in light showers too.

Kampa make one (called a Revo) and Westfield made one until quite recently (called a rollaway I think) and would be interesting to hear any experiences of those two.

39 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I used to use a fiama one. You basically measure the length of the straight section of awning rail, and get the one that fits this length. 
now, I stopped using mine, as it’s very prone to wind lift, even when using heavy duty awning tie downs. Also the exposed edges can frap in a slight breeze, and make an awful noise. 
for a quick shelter in calm (I.e. not windy) conditions they are good. Anything more than a gentle breeze, not much good

Exactly the same as us, also bought the front and sides which were a complete faff to put up and most definitely a 2 person job with a set of steps.

A great idea, but in practice not so good. Bought a Vango air awning where you can take the front out and fold the sides, much more sturdy in the wind and I can put it up myself.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Measure the straight section of the awning, that will give you the maximum length. 

Dont lose sight of the fact the weight of it will have to come off your payload. 

Also I am not sure that these type of awnings can be used with side and front panels, To the best of my knowledge it’s the Motorhome version (Fiamma Zip) that can have side/front panels attached (and those wind out awnings are HEAVY) 

Andy

I'm sure you won't mind but in the interests of accuracy I hope the OP notes the points below:

Fiamma Zip is not a "motorhome" version of their "awning".  The zip versions have sides and front panels that "zip" together to create a nominally weatherproof seal.   

Other styles of enclosures, sometimes called "privacy rooms"  offer front and side panels but they do not zip together.  They are tied together with elastic loops or, indeed, tape.

As an aside - unlike the popular "blow up" awnings where sides are not always separate with Fiamma they are.  You simply  add to the canopy depending upon need.   This makes weight and handling issues  become of minor importance.

I would be surprised to see a "wind out" awning fitted to a Sprite Major and, of course, the OP specifically mentions the "awning bag" style. 

It has to be accepted that even a Fiamma Zip does not provide the weatherproofing or resistance to wind as a properly erected inflatable or rigid awning.   Having said that I have had a zip and currently have the "privacy room" versions.  Both, but particularly the zip, are sturdy and with proper care paid to pegging down they are able to withstand strong wind. 

Undoubtedly the new wider versions are lighter than the previous models even though with greater area in the canopy. 

Setting a canopy out is a task taking a very short time and rolling it back takes no longer.  For short stops we use just the canopy and may add an end, an end or a front, a sunshade, or all three sides depending upon circumstances.  

They are, in my view, the perfect simple and quick awning to use, as we do, predominantly abroad.   I would not recommend for long stays in inclement weather where the awning is used as an extra weatherproof room complete with TV and the rest!   Having said that I've seen the zip versions being used as others would use a conventional awning so, like everything else, it's "horses for courses"! 

I have used my Fiamma Zip awning in wind force 10 storms without a problem so long as the ends and front were fitted and pegged down appropriately.

We have a Fiamma sunshade in a bag, but on the advice of our dealer, we don't leave it in the awning rail when travelling as we were advised it may cause a problem with the awning rain.  I can easily put it in the rail when we stop and it's easy to remove when we move.

John.    :)

1 hour ago, Squash said:

I'm sure you won't mind but in the interests of accuracy I hope the OP notes the points below:

Not in the slightest! I have learnt something now. 

Andy

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

We have a Fiamma sunshade in a bag, but on the advice of our dealer, we don't leave it in the awning rail when travelling as we were advised it may cause a problem with the awning rain.  I can easily put it in the rail when we stop and it's easy to remove when we move.

John.    :)

Never removed mine John and had no issues at all.  One 4.2 m and the other 3.8 m

It is, after all, suspended along a long piece of rail.   Pressure evenly divided. 

As an alternative I have just purchased a Kampa Air 500 sun canopy  and sides .very similar to the Fiamma i have. It will have its debut this weekend . The reason I have gone for this No Poles less likelihood of damage to caravan. 

Mike

Screenshot_20200115-220914_Chrome.jpg

Edited by outnumbered

I looked into the various different rollout canopy awnings last year prior to my 3 month trip round Europe where I wanted something quick, light and able to erect by myself. (I hate awnings so had to be simple and straightforward with no faffing!!)

The ones that come in a bag that go in the rail and roll out are a two person job to roll it back and a set of step Ladders if you're not very tall (like me). As I travel on my own this was not an option.

Dometic, Thule and fiamma do ones that attach to the flat part of the caravan roof (contrary to what UK sales say, the manufactures say they can and you commonly see them attactched to caravans in Europe) and there are ways of gluing it without puncturing the caravan roof (https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/ ). You can get side panels etc with these and they all have different plus points.  Personally I liked the Dometic or Thule as the fiamma sales guy was very rude to me.  But all 3 do the same job.

It turned out that due to the location of a gas flue I could only get a very small roll out canopy awning, so went with a very lightweight sunn camp https://www.towsure.com/sunncamp-swift-canopy-390?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlPNf4o3YIO8Dk2lbQWa52fvxgwIS0lVNTC-ZUOMhas-FFR-ynjKLJwaAlDWEALw_wcB which I can put up on my own in about 10 mins and 6 pegs.  I used it a lot during my trip and did not regret it. I wouldn't trust it in v strong winds but a sinch to pull down if a storm approaches and it did stand up to some heavy rain events.

I do like the kampa air in the above post though...🤔

20191013_180411.jpg

You might not want one at the maximum length, I bought a slightly smaller one to avoid having the end panels fitting against the windows.

Been using one in this van for five years and previous van one for seven years with no issues with the awning rail.

Not the same one though, had to replace it a couple of years ago as the bag was degrading badly, but just purchased a new Caravan Stor Zip but without the panels.

I've got one of these at 5m length.

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/canopy-and-rollout-awnings/caravan-awnings/awnings/32557-quest-elite-rollaway-caravan-privacy-room

They are great in all weathers as long as you use the tie-downs and also peg the feet suckers. I had a bent support pole once as a learning exercise.

They are OK as just the canopy too and have used jut the canopy in the UK in summer and winter and all over europe in summer.

I don't think you can get them any more but you might be able to find one on fleabay.