Durbanite

Faulty Daytime Running Light (DRL)

It seems that the left hand DRL light on my Jeep has failed however all the other lights work, manually and automatically.  Headlights work okay on low and high beam plus all side lights and indicators are in working order.  On automatic during the day i.e. midday, the lights will switch on when the system assumes it is low light i.e. overcast or raining when most other cars have no lights on at all. 

Is it a motoring offence if a DRL is not working and is it a MOT failure.  I have tried checking for the appropriate legislation and cannot find anything relating to it being an offence, but maybe someone knows different.  The 2018 MOT manual section 4 seems to refer to switch working rather than to actual DRL lamp working so not sure if it is a MOT failure. 

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Why not just change the bulb, or could it be a fuse?

If its a 2018 model and the DRLs are LED then it should be covered under warranty.

It's not so unusual to see a car with only one DRL working.  DRL lights are not a mandatory requirement unlike the rest of our exterior lights so I don't think it would be an offence to have one out of order.  I expect an MOT tester will be along here and will kindly tell us about that situation and whether they are included in the test or not.  

From a personal point of view, if one of mine was not working I would want it fixed regardless of legality, but that's me being fussy!   :)

John.

12 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Why not just change the bulb, or could it be a fuse?

If its a 2018 model and the DRLs are LED then it should be covered under warranty.

It is a 2012 model and extremely difficult for me to access the rear of the headlight to change the bulb however I have ordered two bulbs and may get our friendly local mechanic to change them for us.  Might as well do both and keep the good one as a spare.  :D

However the thread is about the legislation regarding faulty DRL and whether it is a MOT failure.  Thanks.

So you don't get stopped by the police, could you disable the DRL temporarily?  It's an option on many cars.

Searching for "daytime running light mot" led me to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018.

It appears that the daytime running lights are included in the MOT for cars first used on or after 1st March 2018.  In practice, this means that the first MOTs to include DRLs will be in 2021 when these cars are three years old.

• +1 1

34 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It is a 2012 model and extremely difficult for me to access the rear of the headlight to change the bulb however I have ordered two bulbs and may get our friendly local mechanic to change them for us.  Might as well do both and keep the good one as a spare.  :D

However the thread is about the legislation regarding faulty DRL and whether it is a MOT failure.  Thanks.

MoT failure category for daytime running lights (DLRs) only applies to vehicles first used from 1 March 2018 (first test due 01/03/2021). Any vehicles built before this date are exempt. However, the MoT Testers Manual is currently under review so there may be some changes later.

Edited by Legal Eagle

2 hours ago, DACS said:

Searching for "daytime running light mot" led me to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018.

It appears that the daytime running lights are included in the MOT for cars first used on or after 1st March 2018.  In practice, this means that the first MOTs to include DRLs will be in 2021 when these cars are three years old.

There are a few vehicles which need an MOT at 12 months old.  eg. taxis, ambulances, minibuses over 9 seats etc.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Edited by Will deBeast

I have recently needed to deal with this for a client converting vehicles as a second stage converter.  We fitted winch equipment to some vehicles in 2014 which partially obscured the visibility angle of the DRLs, this was tested and accepted by he Technical service , however at the MOT they were failed because the DRLs were not fully visible.  This was challenged and eventually dropped as the vehicles were registered in 2015.

DRLs became a requirement of Type approval in 2011, mandatorily hitting the streets in 2012 Build years. They were not mentioned in the UK statutory requirements until 2017 when they were added to the Road vehicle Lighting regulations .

UKSI 2017/852 (I think ill look it up later) amended Reg 23 to include DRLs specifically, but excluded the vehicles registered before 1st March 2018.

(The provision is under review and a decision should be made or deferred by 2023).

Reg 23 says

No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to–

(a)every–

(i)front position lamp,

(ii)rear position lamp,

(iii)headlamp,

(iv)rear registration plate lamp,

(v)side marker lamp,

(vi)end-outline marker lamp,

(vii)rear fog lamp,

(viii)retro reflector

(ix)rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,

(x)daytime running lamp

(xi)headlamp cleaning device, and

(xii)reversing lamp

(b)every–

(i)stop lamp,

(ii)direction indicator,

(iii)running lamp,

(iv)dim-dip device,

(v)headlamp levelling device, and

(vi)hazard warning signal device,

with which it is fitted.

It follows therefore that a DRL is a failure for vehicles registered after 1st March 2018, however as reg 23 says that no one shall use or permit the use of a vehicle unless all of those specified lamps (DRLs now included) are operational and clean. Does it also mean that on the road a defective DRL is OK for vehicles before 1st Mar 2018 but an offence  for vehicles registered after that date?

Over to you LE :)

Edited by Towtug

The 2012 build year requirement only affected new Type Approvals - a number of models continued to be build/sold without DRLs because their 2011 Type Approval didn't change.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that you'd be OK if your vehicle was first registered before 2018 AND you disable the other lamp.

I'd assume that one faulty one would be failure but two  not working on an appropiately registered vehicle would be  OK

28 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The 2012 build year requirement only affected new Type Approvals - a number of models continued to be build/sold without DRLs because their 2011 Type Approval didn't change.

Correct. But in practice as manufacturers model years are closely allied to the release of new variants there werent many that didnt suddenly appear with either dedicated DRL or supplementary DRL using fog lights etc.  I can remember a Merc and the Land Rover Defender I think that were a couple of exceptions but not many.

3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'm guessing that you'd be OK if your vehicle was first registered before 2018 AND you disable the other lamp.

I'd assume that one faulty one would be failure but two  not working on an appropiately registered vehicle would be  OK

:) Never guess if you want to keep notes in your wallet where RT law is involved

I always thought if a light is fitted it should legally work as I'm thinking front fog lights are not a requirement but if fitted don't they have to work ?

A number of things have to work on a vehicle but not checked mot like a speedo for example .

Edited by CommanderDave

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

I always thought if a light is fitted it should legally work as I'm thinking front fog lights are not a requirement but if fitted don't they have to work ?

I think logically it should but the paragraph I referred to earlier seems to limit that. Im not a lawyer, I defer that to Legal Eagle 

Doing a trawl on the Internet I came across an article regarding a 2012 BMW that failed the MOT due to a DRL not working.  The owner had to stump up over £80 for the repair as apparently it is a sealed unit. 

Later he found out that it was not a MOT requirement and reported the issue to the DVSA however he would still be £800 out of pocket.  Sadly there was no feedback on the result of the complaint.

I would think the police would argue you can be mistaken as a motorcycle with only one drl ?

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

I would think the police would argue you can be mistaken as a motorcycle with only one drl ?

There should be no difference whether a motorcycle or vehicle as it still serves the same purpose?

By coincidence our Volvo is in with our friendly local garage as we speak having the worlds most expensive headlight bulb changed, typically he has just called to say that the opposite DRL is not working and needs sorting as well. As we changing cars over the next few weeks asked if it was necessary his answer was that its an excuse for Mr Plodd to give you a pull, equally he said its not an MOT failure yet but is an advisary.

To avoid any grief from her that rules my life new bulbs being fitted so she can wave at those pretty cars with blue lights as she passes them.