Sign in to follow this  
Neekeynonk

Bca charger replace

Hi, going to fit a victron ip22 blue, 20 amp stand alone charger. So, question. Do I simply unplug mains and 12v output plug from bca charger and connect victron straight to battery. 

Cheers. 

You will probably find your BCA unit runs the 12v side of the caravan and charges the battery, whereas the Victron unit will only charge the battery.

You need to find how the charger is wired, mine is by a spur from the fuse box to a junction connector so you would either need a socket or chop the plug off the charger.

Some chargers wont work as a power supply and require a battery to be connected at all times, whereas most caravan charger/PSU's will run the van  without a battery connected.

You'll need to check on the functionality of the Victron unit to ensure that it does what you want

As Matelodave says you need to check the functionality of the Victron unit.

Some chargers will not function, long term, as a power supply because they become overloaded trying to run pumps etc.

Some power supplies will not properly charge a battery because the output voltage is not correctly regulated.

The Victron is a multi stage charger so if fitted you would be using the battery to power the 12v with it being charged by the Victron.

How long it would last and how much strain running the 12v systems whilst the charger was on would remain to be seen.

My BCA units is set to 13.8v and 10 amps output but some have a 20 amp capacity.