CJ1149

Key to bathroom door?

Just a quickie - does anybody have a Coachman with a central bathroom and if so do you have a key to the lock on the door between the kitchen and bathroom?

Thanks.

(2019 Vision 545)

No, no key. (2019 VIP 545)

Edited by nigel207
Additional information

Hi CJ1149,

I have had 3 Coachman Caravans and none had Keys for the washroom door. Which side of the door are you referring to?

Thanks for the replies so far.

The handle has an integral keyway on the kitchen side of the door and a turn button on the bathroom side.

This implies that it should be lockable with the button for privacy on the bathroom side and lockable/unlockable for security from the kitchen.

Nobody I've approached so far (including a dealer) has any knowledge of a key for this lock.

Why fit a relatively expensive lock and not provide a key?

Our "bathroom" door handle has a turn knob on the inside and a slot on the outside which can be turned with a 2p coin. Are you certain yours has a keyhole?  ;)

It's probably not a key lock, it just has a slot with the facility to use a coin or screwdriver to open the door if it gets inadvertently locked by a child or someone falls ill in there.

We've got the same indoors and it's surprising how often they gets locked as someone leaves the bathroom or loo. The grandkids often managed it as well

• +1 1

Emergency access had occurred to me but not a simple "coin" slot.

It looks like a keyway, a bit like a keyway on a car door (for those of us who can remember them) but slightly recessed.  There's no mention of the lock anywhere and until now nobody suggested it's simplicity.

I'll try a small coin or screwdriver and if they work then job done and I won't have to tape over the turnbutton  any longer.      Thanks to all for the replies.

A photo speaks a thousand words:  Coachman's website

It does look like a key hole!  I'd probably try inserting the main door/locker key carefully (to avoid damage to the key), as well as a large flat screwdriver (but not both at the same time, of course). :D

Edited by Rodders53
I re-read my words!

That's the one Rodders,  thanks,  and you've saved me the trouble of uploading  the photo I took, thanks.

When it stops raining I'll venture out and try a key/whatever. 

Just to draw this to a close.

What looks like a keyway isn't one and the mechanism only operates the turn button on the other side of the door as suggested.  It has no other purpose. Also as suspected almost anything that'll fit to as depth as little as 1mm  - even a thumbnail - can be used to cancel the turnbutton.

So I hope this helps somebody else with thanks to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only just seen this thread - but almost every bathroom or toilet handle that I’ve ever come across has a lock on the inside and an ‘emergency’ opening on the outside, whether it be in the home, public toilets, commercial premises or in a caravan.

I would guess it’s a ‘legal’ requirement or building regulation to ensure that a small child or frail adult can quickly be released if need be - without the need for a key.

This obviously doesn’t apply to caravan bathrooms with sliding doors, like mine, where there’s no turning handle and therefore no lock.

John

Edited by Johnaldo