Benny65

Swift Recall 2020

We've had numerous problems with ours, this being the latest.

When I rang my wife to let her know about the issues I'd found her immediate reaction was 'well thats the last straw, we are not ever having another Swift'.

In fact I think it might actually be the last caravan of any make we ever own.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 11:35, Alaningham said:

yes it includes them mine is in repair as we speak 2018 model purchased last year not had it 12 months yet.

13 minutes ago, Steve peirson said:

Hi check the floor inside for spongy and creaky noises from sink micro wave kitchen sink all the way back to back of caravan

My 2017 Eccles needed this recall Swift sent an engineer who replaced screws in the process of doing this he drilled through the sidewall of my caravan, After 4 days of trying to contact Swift with phone calls and emails i got through this morning to be told that i need to take photos i will never buy from Swift again do not let their engineers work on your Caravan

My god. That's terrible. You would seriously hope they know what they were doing and while mistakes can happen Surely they would have the equipment to make sure this does not happen such as a drill bit stop collar to prevent drilling to deep. 

Apologies, I'm coming to this party late and tried to read as much as possible.

I collect my 2018 Sprite Quattro EB tomorrow (subject to the impending storm).

Other than checking visually ourselves at the dealership is there any other way of confirming if our 'van is affected, such as an official database / list? Obviously I can ask the dealer if it's already been checked too.

21 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

Other than checking visually ourselves at the dealership is there any other way of confirming if our 'van is affected, such as an official database / list? Obviously I can ask the dealer if it's already been checked too.

This information has not been released by Swift. Swift has recalled 2017 models but no more. Rumour from a couple of dealer workshops is that there are caravans from 2015 to 2018 involved and Swift has authorised repair under warranty.

My 2016 caravan is booked in for repair under warranty. I think you should assume that a 2018 caravan has the assembly weakness, however if and when it fails is guess work. 

22 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

You can really only do a quick visual check. As 2018 vans haven't been subject to a recall.

Have a look inside the gas locker. In the back corners check if the screws holding the aluminium strips in the rear corners are all in place and not coming loose.

Get under the front corners and check the floor joint between the locker and the caravan interior where the bulkhead is. Is it stepped in any way and is there any holes where screws have come out.  And does the winder for both  corner steadies line up centrally in the hole in the side skirt.

However,  just because it hasn't manifested itself yet doesn't mean it won't in the future.

We have had our van since June 2018 and done a good few thousand miles in it and I've just notice the loose and missing screws last week.

Edited by The Happy Gnome
  • Like 1

Just dropped my 2017 Sprite Major EB back to factory, on handover I was told recall is being done from 2018 back to 2014 in descending order so essentially the 2014’s will be last to be recalled, before going in I noticed the screws in the near side of the gas locker were coming out with some missing, pointed this out at service last year, they simply replaced and did not pickup issue of front end movement, when I received re-call letter in January I looked underneath and noted slight separation in the nearside floor, as the van has only covered about 1000 miles since purchase, so essentially just starting to go, looking at latest issue of Caravan and Camping magazine there's a tiny article on page 68, and it just states 2017 models, it does however mention the recall does not apply to 2017 caravans using smart HT construction such as the Swift Elegance on Eccles Continental, hope this helps!

28 minutes ago, Gareth Harvey said:

Just dropped my 2017 Sprite Major EB back to factory, on handover I was told recall is being done from 2018 back to 2014 in descending order so essentially the 2014’s will be last to be recalled, 

Sorry but that doesn't fit in with what Swift told me. 

If it was correct our 2018 'van would have been recalled first (which it hasn't been) - it's only going in because I spotted the issue. We haven't had a recall letter.

Swift also confirmed our VIN number was not due for recall but the work required would be done under warranty.

28 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

If it was correct our 2018 'van would have been recalled first (which it hasn't been) - it's only going in because I spotted the issue. We haven't had a recall letter.

Swift also confirmed our VIN number was not due for recall but the work required would be done under warranty.

No need to apologise, think the only ones that need to do this  are SWIFT themselves, just hope they’ll put things right for ALL those affected, to be totally honest would not be surprised if similar issue could affect even older vans....and bearing in mind they have had to record this issue with the DVSA.....

• I agree completely 1

Screws holding bulkhead to side walls are coming loose or even falling out .You will see in each back  corner of gas locker  a vertical aluminium angle  held in place by screws on each face of the angle..These screws should be checked for tightness. Check also the integrity of the sealant along the front join of the construction forming the top of the gas locker,any crack here indicates movement of the construction. The corner steadies at the front of the van should be checked to ensure that the actuation screw is central within the winding orifice,,if it's not central there is a problem.These are all checks you can make yourself before  being looked at by the arranged swift engineer.

Fascinating thread-especially as I own an all plastic 2017 Swift Conqueror 560.

I will be checking the self tappers around the gas locker as soon as it stops snowing or raining-according to the forecast that’s in 6 days time.

5 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Ours is a 2015 but it doesn't appear to be of the same construction in that there is no aluminum angle in the corner.

• I do not understand 1

28 minutes ago, PandR said:

Ours is a 2015 but it doesn't appear to be of the same construction in that there is no aluminum angle in the corner.

My understanding from speaking to my dealer (see my earlier post) affected models are 2016 through to 2018. Only 2017 vans are currently being recalled even though 2016 and 2018 can be affected.

Earlier post

Based on that I dont believe 2015 model years are.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

Dream Holiday,

To Cromer.........

Really?

Its a great place to visit, but the venue for a 'dream holiday'???

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PandR said:

Hi PandR, looking at repair process does mention some models have a blanking plate fitted over L bracket in the gas locker, these panels are then sealed in place.

I think the best way to check in your case would be  to look at the floor panels underneath the nose of the van, are the gaps at both sides the same, are the sections of floor at same height, if the answers no to these then your van may be affected and worth getting checked.

My caravan was fine on the offside but starting to give way on nearside, can only assume this is because nearside gets a little bit of a harder life hitting the odd uneaten drain cover, potholes and road.

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Wry smile at Swifts reply in the article.

"The number of reported defects is extremely low............"

Then.

"We aim to respond to all requests within 10 working days although this may take longer depending on the volume of correspondence which is high at this moment in time."

🤔 😁

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Wi have seen reference elsewhere to people with this problem on 2016 model vans being told by their Dealers that repair cant be carried out unless the Owner pays for it because the vans are out of warranty.

Surely if this is a manufacturing fault it would be inherent since new and as its a safety recall Swift must have responsibility to fix it in any age of van affected.

• I agree completely 1

Anyone got a phone number for the Recall Team.

Our Swift Eccles quarts se  2015 is coming back from swift on Monday after them having it for 4 months. Their customer service has been appalling no updates and no info unless we call them. We had to empty the caravan including all seating and mattress. We are unhappy customers. Caravan went to out local dealer for its annual service in October and before we had even got home from dropping it off they had called to say it was too dangerous to tow and will have to go back to the swift factory. They should have been recalled along time ago. Can’t believe it has taken them 4 months to fix it, we have only had it a year. Who knows wether it will actually make it back on Monday or perhaps we will get even more excuses. Be warned if yours is one of the ones with a problem it will be gone for months.

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Anyone got a phone number for the Recall Team.

Hi, 

As my Sprite is currently in for repair, I have checked my emails and the below is on bottom of the mails;

Swift Group Limited

Dunswell Road

Cottingham

East Yorkshire

HU16 4JX

Tel: 01482 847332

I think that’ll get you through to main switchboard, not tried the number myself though as communicating by email.

When you get through ask to speak to someone in the Repair Centre, or Repair Centre co-ordinator.

As mentioned in previous post the chap that conducted my handover said they were going back to 2014 to rectify affected models, so hopefully 2016’s are next, good luck getting sorted!

15 minutes ago, Debbie Cornford said:

Our Swift Eccles quarts se  2015 is coming back from swift on Monday after them having it for 4 months. Their customer service has been appalling no updates and no info unless we call them. We had to empty the caravan including all seating and mattress. We are unhappy customers. Caravan went to out local dealer for its annual service in October and before we had even got home from dropping it off they had called to say it was too dangerous to tow and will have to go back to the swift factory. They should have been recalled along time ago. Can’t believe it has taken them 4 months to fix it, we have only had it a year. Who knows wether it will actually make it back on Monday or perhaps we will get even more excuses. Be warned if yours is one of the ones with a problem it will be gone for months.

Out of interest if it was too dangerous to tow how did they get it to the factory?

Low loader?

19 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Out of interest if it was too dangerous to tow how did they get it to the factory?

Low loader?

Yes it was collected on a low loader and they are blaming the haulage company for the delays in collecting and returning. I feel sorry for anybody who has to have the repairs done now, as I said swift have had our van for 4 months.

• Like 2