Ern,

I do dip in and out of these threads a bit so maybe this is already covered but if you bought it from new, then you have the 10 years warranty on the body shell. 

On parallel to visiting the dealer, I would contact Swift and say you have a similar problem - what do they think.

One thing I've seen is that manufacturers and dealers will refuse if you haven't followed the service schedule so be careful of missing the service date.

Personally I'd send an email to Swift Leisure with pictures and ask for their urgent opinion before you take it to the dealers.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cmac. I can empathise.   it appears that Swift not only use self-tapping screws but self-loosening screws also. 

Wry smile at Swifts reply in the article.   "The number of reported defects is extremely low............"   Then.   "We aim to respond to all requests within 10 working d

Yes it was collected on a low loader and they are blaming the haulage company for the delays in collecting and returning. I feel sorry for anybody who has to have the repairs done now, as I said swift

Posted Images

On the 11th January I emailed Swift about the engineers visit to check my van, I know the letter said I would get a response within 7 to 10 days, which I took as working days as that's what they normally say and I'm yet to hear anything,

The letter also says it's on a first come first served basis but I've seen on the Bulkhead thread that some people who emailed Swift days after me have already had a response and confirmation of an engineers visit within a couple of days of sending their email! Is anyone still waiting even though they emailed about the same time as myself or have others had their engineers visit confirmed? Cheers 

22 minutes ago, Yesman said:

On the 11th January I emailed Swift about the engineers visit to check my van, I know the letter said I would get a response within 7 to 10 days, which I took as working days as that's what they normally say and I'm yet to hear anything,

The letter also says it's on a first come first served basis but I've seen on the Bulkhead thread that some people who emailed Swift days after me have already had a response and confirmation of an engineers visit within a couple of days of sending their email! Is anyone still waiting even though they emailed about the same time as myself or have others had their engineers visit confirmed? Cheers 

Well xxxx me! Just emailed the FBE@swift email address asking them to confirm they'd received my initial email on the 11th and I got Autoresponse to say they'd received today's email! Never got this the first time I emailed so now concerned I'm a over a week further down the list!!😮😮😮

10 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Edited by Yesman

What bulkhead recall ??

9 hours ago, Robbido said:

What bulkhead recall ??

See this other thread on the same subject - here.

John

Yep. emailed them on 15th of Jan, still heard nothing.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

On 19/01/2020 at 13:11, Ern said:

Thanks for your supportive posts PandR and Yesman.

I am taking the caravan to the dealer on Wednesday so that they can have a look at it. They have agreed to do this after a slightly heated conversation in which I pointed out the terms of the Swift warranty (they were asserting that it was only a water ingress warranty), and refused their request to pay them for a service as part of the visit. It is due for 4th service at the beginning of Feb. A slightly hostile atmosphere is not a great start to the inspection visit. I will wait until I hear their reaction on Wednesday, but I suspect they don't want to participate in dealing with Swift warranty, so expect to get fobbed off. I will probably have to speak to Swift next week, but will contact one of the dealers two Directors first so that I have given them every opportunity to deal with the problem according to the warranty.  This caravanning hobby can be very frustrating as well as expensive!

Dealer inspection confirmed what I had found. Near side has failed, off side OK. Dealer staff were completely reasonable about it and booked the caravan in for March (they are busy with service work and this is the 7 week waiting time for their body shop). They are doing both sides according to the same process document as shown here for 2017 version. By the way, I learned that the floor panels are quite well reinforced with 2 squares of 'Pure'  where the corner steady pushes the floor up. 

Ern

The corner steady on the near side of my 2018 Challenger 645 has pushed up the floor 6mm

1 hour ago, ranges said:

The corner steady on the near side of my 2018 Challenger 645 has pushed up the floor 6mm

Do you mean the floor is temporarily bending 6mm which is normal deflection, or do you mean the joint has failed? If it has failed, you can see the movement as you raise/lower the steady, pushing up the floor.  If you can see movement at the joint then one of the horizontal screws screw may have either snapped or several come loose. In  both cases the bond between wall and floor must have failed too otherwise the joint cant move. Get your dealer to check it if you are not sure.

Ern

6 hours ago, Ern said:

Do you mean the floor is temporarily bending 6mm which is normal deflection, or do you mean the joint has failed? If it has failed, you can see the movement as you raise/lower the steady, pushing up the floor.  If you can see movement at the joint then one of the horizontal screws screw may have either snapped or several come loose. In  both cases the bond between wall and floor must have failed too otherwise the joint cant move. Get your dealer to check it if you are not sure.

It looks a permanent upwards deflection, no movements at all. It is from where the rear bolt front corner steady bolts to the floor and runs as far forward as the bulkhead floor. Where the floor meets the bulkhead floor  the upwards deflection travels towards the middle and "Peters out" to be level with the bulkhead floor about the middle. 

This maybe due to excessive pressure I've applied to the corner steady trying to level. The offside looks good. 

Maybe  joint broken and snapped screw but no obvious movement. 

So, what I have is not a dropped wall but a small section of raised floor which manifests itself by the corner steady winding bolt displaying high in the circular plastic hole instead of been central. 

Thanks for your interest and response. 

Edited by ranges
14 hours ago, Ern said:

Dealer inspection confirmed what I had found. Near side has failed, off side OK. Dealer staff were completely reasonable about it and booked the caravan in for March (they are busy with service work and this is the 7 week waiting time for their body shop). They are doing both sides according to the same process document as shown here for 2017 version. By the way, I learned that the floor panels are quite well reinforced with 2 squares of 'Pure'  where the corner steady pushes the floor up. 

So this problem isn't just happening to 2017 models then?

Some other forums are indicating other years too.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Gee , what a poor design having the steadys pushing up on the floor !! Even as you walk around inside weight is going on and of all the time?  No wonder there breaking away.  Much better having them chassis mounted.

is there a list of affected 'vans available anywhere ?

8 hours ago, Robbido said:

is there a list of affected 'vans available anywhere ?

Its just 2017 Challengers and Sprites and dealer specials based on them. circa 6000vans

The conqueror and elite are not built the same so not affected by this.

people are claiming its other years too, but swift have only recalled the 2017 vans.  

Danny

Many thanks for the information

• Like 1
On 23/01/2020 at 03:43, ranges said:

It looks a permanent upwards deflection, no movements at all. It is from where the rear bolt front corner steady bolts to the floor and runs as far forward as the bulkhead floor. Where the floor meets the bulkhead floor  the upwards deflection travels towards the middle and "Peters out" to be level with the bulkhead floor about the middle. 

This maybe due to excessive pressure I've applied to the corner steady trying to level. The offside looks good. 

So, what I have is not a dropped wall but a small section of raised floor which manifests itself by the corner steady winding bolt displaying high in the circular plastic hole instead of been central. 

On 23/01/2020 at 03:43, ranges said:

From what I have been told and understand it all start from the front bulkhead, the two angles in the gas locker that bolt the bulkhead to the side of the van offer rigidity from side to side across the front of the van, when the screws come lose or fall out that rigidity is lost causing the front on the van to move from side to side and up and down when travelling, this in turn put a constant levering motion on the joints between the walls and the floor effectively working the joints lose, once the joint is lose and broken the failure is made worse by the steadies jacking up an unsupported floor. A vicious cycle! This is why now caravan service centres are instructed to check the tightness of all the screws on those two bulkhead angles in the gas locker, apparently all the failures that have been found these screws have been missing or are very loose!

Have been told about this notice ,, and currently in Spain with our 2016  SWIFT  Kudos  ours from new .

Having seen the notice diagram outlining what to look for , i checked our van  and the symptoms ARE as described in fact some of the screws are not there at all ,,, and  the steady leg  NUT  does move out of allignment !!

If i may be so bold ? i would ask others with similar SWIFT   vans 2016 to check  their vans !!

I shall contact our dealer for advice in the morning

P

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Useful information, thanks everyone who has contributed.  My inspection is in a couple of weeks, but share the concern that even if OK now, is likely to fail at some point, given that the construction of each similar 'van will be the same.
I'll be trying to insist on rectification even if nothing has moved.  (Will be underneath for a look tomorrow!)

Hi all;

I have been following with great interest the discussion on floor/ wall separation and recalls re Swift caravans.

We have a 2015, 565 Challenger which suffered the same fate as so many others after a long, around the North Island , New Zealand trip last year.

The first thing I noticed was not being able to get the crank- handle onto the hex nut to wind the front steadies down.

On inspecting underside at the front I saw exactly the same as the photos posted by Dizco and Ern.

To cut a long story short, and because I couldn't see Swift sending a recall out here, and, acting under instruction from the dealer we purchased from new, decided to repair it myself. Jacked up and supported the front floor to bring everything level between the caravan floor and the front locker floor.

First I removed the draught skirt rail to the wheel arch, this exposed the screws holding the wall to the floor, two of which had sheared off approx 25mm from the csk head on either side of the van [ four only 10 gauge screws were holding the wall to the floor forward of the wheel arch, no sign of any glue].

Drilled a further four holes and screwed in 14 gauge stainless Bugle screws on both sides. 

Replaced the draught skirt rails and moved inside the locker, framing the complete bulkhead with 40 x 3 aluminium angle glued and a thousand screws plus two 10mm galv coach bolts through the locker floor into galv angle brackets bolted to the chassis.

I hope this goes some way to explaining what I found, and how I had to repair a very poorly constructed product [ shame on you Swift ].

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:03, Yesman said:

Hi, I had the same letter on Saturday regarding our 2017 Challenge 580, there is no reference to if you can use the van but the line about transportation to a repair centre set alarm bells ringing. I rang Swift Customer Services today who couldn't or wouldn't answer my question about towing my van, they enquired whether I  asked when I emailed to make the engineer appointment! Told them it was the last thing on my mind at that time so they said they would get the Recall department would to me ring, still waiting, think its wrong that Swifts Customer Services don't know the answer to quite an important question! 

Hi,  I had the same letter for our Swift Fairway 580, I replied on 15th January, not received a response so called Customer Service today who were less than useless as it is a different department dealing with the recall.   So just got to wait hopefully it will be ok before we go away in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else been waiting for the Swift Engineer to ring them today to confirm their appointment this week but heard nothing? I've been waiting all day, I had heard the phone call could be in the evening so whilst concerned I hadn't heard anything I was still hopeful I'd get a call! It's now 9pm and I haven't got the phone call from the engineer that Swift has said we'd get on the Monday of the confirm week! Getting absolutely pi##ed off with Swift and this whole bulkhead debacle!!🤬🤬🤬

Screenshot_20200127-151530_Chrome.jpg

13 hours ago, Rae Warne said:

Hi all;

I have been following with great interest the discussion on floor/ wall separation and recalls re Swift caravans.

We have a 2015, 565 Challenger which suffered the same fate as so many others after a long, around the North Island , New Zealand trip last year.

The first thing I noticed was not being able to get the crank- handle onto the hex nut to wind the front steadies down.

On inspecting underside at the front I saw exactly the same as the photos posted by Dizco and Ern.

To cut a long story short, and because I couldn't see Swift sending a recall out here, and, acting under instruction from the dealer we purchased from new, decided to repair it myself. Jacked up and supported the front floor to bring everything level between the caravan floor and the front locker floor.

First I removed the draught skirt rail to the wheel arch, this exposed the screws holding the wall to the floor, two of which had sheared off approx 25mm from the csk head on either side of the van [ four only 10 gauge screws were holding the wall to the floor forward of the wheel arch, no sign of any glue].

Drilled a further four holes and screwed in 14 gauge stainless Bugle screws on both sides. 

Replaced the draught skirt rails and moved inside the locker, framing the complete bulkhead with 40 x 3 aluminium angle glued and a thousand screws plus two 10mm galv coach bolts through the locker floor into galv angle brackets bolted to the chassis.

I hope this goes some way to explaining what I found, and how I had to repair a very poorly constructed product [ shame on you Swift ].

Rae. Interesting you said the screws had sheared 25mm from the head as this is the shear point between wall and floor (the floor is reinforced with PURe material around the perimeter, and the wall is about 25mm thick and also reinforced with PURe ), confirming that the PURe material in the floor must be in good condition and is of adequate strength (The way the new screws "bit" would confirm the PURe is strong). In this case the failure is caused by the absence of the adhesive between wall and floor. I am waiting for our caravan to be repaired next month but we (the Technician at the dealer workshop and I ) both think mine is a dry joint too. When you fitted the 40x40x3 aluminium angle to the front bulkhead, I assume you firstly removed the smaller vertical angles fitted by Swift, so how were they secured? Was it just screws? Any bonding visible between bulkhead and sidewall, or was that a dry joint too? Swifts repair process sheet describes wedging open the gap between floor and sidewall to enable bonding to be squirted in, and similar for bulkhead vertical joint to sidewall. If these joints don't have any bond they will fatigue like a hinge on a door with a seized pin. It would be interesting to see the broken surface of the screws you removed, because this may show evidence of failure mode (shear or fatigue) I suspect fatigue.  A shear failure would be unlikely unless it was caused purely by too much force on the corner steadies (a heck of a lot more that the little wider handle). Personally, my suspicion is that the bonded joints have never been bonded and the screws alone have not much chance of surviving.

• Like 1

Ern

14 hours ago, Rae Warne said:

Hi all;

Hello Rae, I've travelled less than 4000 km and have the same problem starting to show up on my 2018 Challenger 645. I'm in Alexandra and expect it is something I'll have to do myself since the dealer in the Bay of Plenty isn't answering my emails. 

I received the Safety Recall notice from Swift about my 2017 Sterling Eccles.  When travelling home in September this caravan started to snake uncontrollably and the end result was significant damage to my car and the caravan was written off.  The road was a well maintained dual carriageway and totally unexpected, so we now suspect that the issue with the lower front bulkhead may have contributed significantly.  A call to Swift produced a non-committal response and referral to the website frequently asked question and answers so I'm now writing to them (not with much hope).  But the fact that they want to send an engineer out points to the fact that the caravan probably shouldn't be towed.  Just want to warn anyone about a possible potential danger with this issue.