Benny65

Swift Recall 2020

Received my recall letter this morning, (2017 Sprite Major). Booked for week commencing 27/1/20. Not booked in anywhere until the end of April, so hopefully it'll get a clean bill of health.

My 2017 Sprite Major 4EB was repaired in November 2019 under warranty for a "floating front end" - sounds like a potential symptom of this recall.  A Swift Dealer picked it up whilst making an unrelated repair in September 2019 - apparently if you know what you're looking for you'd spot it when towing.  Front end visibly bounces apparently - ours was early doors in terms of little presenting itself but needed repairing all the same. 

Once pointed out when you looked underneath the van you could see the boarding between the gas locker and the habitation area of the van was separated, hence the white on black you can see in the photo.

Swift said the van was not safe to be towed - as a result van was off the road for 10 weeks whilst the warranty repairs were agreed, parts arrived and the 8 hours workshop work to rectify was undertaken.

Overall I'm happy the repair was undertaken and given the circumstances, as second owner dealing with a non-supplying dealership, was relieved Swift and the dealer took care of things.  That said it's knocked my confidence in the overall build quality of this construction type, especially given the repair appears to come down to simply using more glue and screws.

IMG_20190921_113636_resized_20200115_084342612.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dizco said:

My 2017 Sprite Major 4EB was repaired in November 2019 under warranty for a "floating front end" - sounds like a potential symptom of this recall.  A Swift Dealer picked it up whilst making an unrelated repair in September 2019 - apparently if you know what you're looking for you'd spot it when towing.  Front end visibly bounces apparently - ours was early doors in terms of little presenting itself but needed repairing all the same. 

Once pointed out when you looked underneath the van you could see the boarding between the gas locker and the habitation area of the van was separated, hence the white on black you can see in the photo.

Swift said the van was not safe to be towed - as a result van was off the road for 10 weeks whilst the warranty repairs were agreed, parts arrived and the 8 hours workshop work to rectify was undertaken.

Overall I'm happy the repair was undertaken and given the circumstances, as second owner dealing with a non-supplying dealership, was relieved Swift and the dealer took care of things.  That said it's knocked my confidence in the overall build quality of this construction type, especially given the repair appears to come down to simply using more glue and screws.

IMG_20190921_113636_resized_20200115_084342612.jpg

I've checked our 2016 Challenger today again (in better day light than yesterday). Our caravan looks just the same as that with all the screws missing or 3/4 of the way out. You can just see up there if you have a good torch, and in amongst the spiders webs are some of my floating screws. The dealer has refused to take care of it because its out of 3 yr warranty - charming eh? Ours is failed on the near side left, whereas the photo here shows the offside. 

Oh! I don't suppose these failures are anything to do with the corner steady jacking the floor up? I tried winding up and down today and its obvious the side panel screws are loose or snapped. Now would the chicken have come first, or the egg? Angle bracket screws or side panel screws?

Edited by Ern

On 13/01/2020 at 17:49, jdt said:

This is a copy of the recall notice!!!

2017 SWIFT Challenger4S0 At T3F 2017 0909035
Our records show that you are the current owner ofthe above caravan.
We have identified a potential issue with the lower front bulkhead installation that may require rectification.
We are therefore launching a safety recall and would like to arrange for an Approved Engineer to visit your caravan to carry out a series of checks. The check should take around 15-30 minutes to complete.
Once the Approved Engineer has completed the inspection, they will advise you the outcome and whether or not further action is necessary. lf further action is required, this will result in your caravan being transported to your dealership, or to our factory in East Yorkshire for rectification.
Please see attached map. This shows when the Approved Engineers will be in your area. These are week commencing dates.
Please checkwhich area you are in, and choose a week commencingdatethatwill suityou (you can choose morethan one date) and please e-mail FBE(@swiftleisure.co.ukwith this information, the reference number at the top of this letter and the location of your caravan. We willthen come back to you within 7-10 days to make the necessary arrangements.
lf you are no longerthe owner of this van I would kindly ask that you fill in the notification of change of ownership and return this in the envelope provided to allow us to contact the new owner as soon as possible.
I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but trust that you are assured of our continued commitment in ensuring you experience trouble free holidays in your caravan
Yours sincerely

Amy Archer Deputv Manasing Director

regards

jdt

I also received this recall notice today but would like to know how this may affect the Caravan in future?

So given Swift has some financial challenges, how easy might it be for them to absorb such a recall?

In times of growth, the additional revenue can be used to pay for past problems which relative to sales are less.

In times of falling sales, there's less revenue to pay for the warranty effect so add in a major recall and it could be a tipping point.

Also, this in itself will further affect sales. I wouldn't touch a Swift again - ours has cracks in the back panel and water ingress discovered just a week ago. Dealer claiming for a new back panel and a week to fit so a 3k to 5k job.

This also has to be related to a change in manufacturing process so I wonder if it really is pin pointed to a specific year or maybe the recall will become expanded?

It will be very interesting to see on which van years people here and on other forums spot the issue.

Maybe they should have kept the factory open and turned it into a giant repair workshop and maybe they'll need a government bailout...

• Like 1

Hi 

Just had a recall letter for a swift sprite 2017 for an apparent lower front bulkhead installation.  Is this a genuine letter? Is it a major fault?  Of course no phone number for me to call so expect itll be days if they even reply to my email 

It can be a major fault yes. You don't need to call anyone,just follow the instructions in the letter.

It's only a certain batch of 2017 vans affected not all of them. I have a 2017 Sprite which is not part of the recall, I did call and check as I never received a letter.

Just read through the PDF, makes interesting reading, especially the reference to finding snapped screws 😱 on a van a couple of years old.

Must say that the adhesives they are to use are good, however, what's the first thing to do to ensure a good bond, yes, make sure the area to be bonded is scrupulously clean, can this be correctly achieved in the area that would have been subject to water and road spray over the time it has been flapping about lose, but unnoticed, I wonder ?

The reference to using the steadies to jack the floor up or down to align it to the side rail should ring alarm bells, not for this process exactly, but when combined with the snapped screws, ( which I presume have been snapped by a shearing force ), and those that have become loose, does this suggest that mounting the steadies in this way, on the floor, even if used correctly, as many on here do,  is causing this problem, or could it be that the design of this area is not up to scratch ?

I wonder ?

I can see no other possible cause for screws to come loose / snap in this area other than the floor area flexing up and down by  a combination upward pressure from the jacks and downward pressure from floor and seating traffic above.

I wonder what other areas are waiting to 'let go ' in a similar fashion, I think if I owned a Swift I would be having a microscopic inspection of all the floor to side joints.

One other thing springs to mind, depending on a combination of how long it has been loose and how many miles it has travelled  whilst flapping about, would this put stress on other components, weakening joints and bonds elsewhere ?

It looks like there could potentially be hundreds of vans being stricken with this fault, possibly the ones used frequently showing up first and those just used for a few weeks down the line showing up in later years, same fault, same reason but no warranty repair and as mentioned in posts above, how many will be totally unaware due to new ownership not being transferred ?

4 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Just read through the PDF, makes interesting reading, especially the reference to finding snapped screws 😱 on a van a couple of years old.

Must say that the adhesives they are to use are good, however, what's the first thing to do to ensure a good bond, yes, make sure the area to be bonded is scrupulously clean, can this be correctly achieved in the area that would have been subject to water and road spray over the time it has been flapping about lose, but unnoticed, I wonder ?

The reference to using the steadies to jack the floor up or down to align it to the side rail should ring alarm bells, not for this process exactly, but when combined with the snapped screws, ( which I presume have been snapped by a shearing force ), and those that have become loose, does this suggest that mounting the steadies in this way, on the floor, even if used correctly, as many on here do,  is causing this problem, or could it be that the design of this area is not up to scratch ?

I wonder ?

I can see no other possible cause for screws to come loose / snap in this area other than the floor area flexing up and down by  a combination upward pressure from the jacks and downward pressure from floor and seating traffic above.

I wonder what other areas are waiting to 'let go ' in a similar fashion, I think if I owned a Swift I would be having a microscopic inspection of all the floor to side joints.

One other thing springs to mind, depending on a combination of how long it has been loose and how many miles it has travelled  whilst flapping about, would this put stress on other components, weakening joints and bonds elsewhere ?

It looks like there could potentially be hundreds of vans being stricken with this fault, possibly the ones used frequently showing up first and those just used for a few weeks down the line showing up in later years, same fault, same reason but no warranty repair and as mentioned in posts above, how many will be totally unaware due to new ownership not being transferred ?

I was alluding to the point about the steadies yesterday when I last posted. Winding the steady down transfers upwards pressure on the floor, and a shear loading on the screws.  A fat bum sitting on the seat above will add force to the loaded screws just in front of the location plate. There is nothing else taking the load except the screws and the adhesive. This is why I intend to add a plate under the steady bridging to the side wall. 

I wonder how far back this goes. Our van is a 2014 model.

Just been and had a look under my van. I got the letter last week and couldn't wait to go see. Today was my first chance. 

Well I think mine is ok. 

All screws inside gas looked are still in place. Floor looks solid and no signs of movement. All screws are still in under the van too. 

20200117_153900.jpg

20200117_153930.jpg

1 hour ago, Dannyp said:

Just been and had a look under my van. I got the letter last week and couldn't wait to go see. Today was my first chance. 

Well I think mine is ok. 

All screws inside gas looked are still in place. Floor looks solid and no signs of movement. All screws are still in under the van too. 

20200117_153900.jpg

20200117_153930.jpg

Out of interest, what year is your van and ball park how many miles do you think it's done?

1 hour ago, Dannyp said:

Well I think mine is ok. 

20200117_153900.jpg

20200117_153930.jpg

Don't take my word for it but, I think your s is fine. I'd get it checked though because of liability.

Our 2016 caravan has failed on the near side - not catastrophically, yet but it needs sorting before our next outing.  Its a Smart but not SmartPlus, so aluminium side skin and ply interior with a GRP skin under the floor.  Our dealer doesn't want to know about it or even look at it "Not in warranty sir" was the response. I will repair and strengthen it myself. I suspect the corner steady on this design is applying too much pressure under the floor for the poor joint (body side to floor) as well as the screws in the bulkhead fasteners. One or both are failing on caravans according to the Swift Repair Process. Its disgusting for a brand leader to create such a junk design - unbelievable!

3 hours ago, Dannyp said:

Well I think mine is ok. 

20200117_153900.jpg

20200117_153930.jpg

Think we've all been under our vans since this debacle started, ours, a November 2016 registered, 2017 Challenger 580 model looks exactly the same as your pics, all the side walls still look glued in place and level with the floor, the leg winders are in the middle of the access holes, no screws lose or missing so like you I'm quite happy our hasn't failed yet but that doesn't mean it won't be called in for remedial work to prevent future failure. 

1 hour ago, Ern said:

Don't take my word for it but, I think your s is fine. I'd get it checked though because of liability.

Our 2016 caravan has failed on the near side - not catastrophically, yet but it needs sorting before our next outing.  Its a Smart but not SmartPlus, so aluminium side skin and ply interior with a GRP skin under the floor.  Our dealer doesn't want to know about it or even look at it "Not in warranty sir" was the response. I will repair and strengthen it myself. I suspect the corner steady on this design is applying too much pressure under the floor for the poor joint (body side to floor) as well as the screws in the bulkhead fasteners. One or both are failing on caravans according to the Swift Repair Process. Its disgusting for a brand leader to create such a junk design - unbelievable!

Hi, If you do decide to repair your van yourself it might be worth buying the STR 360 adhesive that Swift recommends to used for the repairs in the PDF that was posted on here, I've also attached that PDF

The glue, https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/BOS360

swift-repair-front-bottom-end-1-1.pdf

Edited by Yesman

11 minutes ago, Yesman said:

Think we've all been under our vans since this debacle started, ours, a November 2016 registered, 2017 Challenger 580 model looks exactly the same as your pics, all the side walls still look glued in place and level with the floor, the leg winders are in the middle of the access holes, no screws lose or missing so like you I'm quite happy our hasn't failed yet but that doesn't mean it won't be called in for remedial work to prevent future failure. 

Hi, If you do decide to repair your van yourself it might be worth buying the STR 360 adhesive that Swift recommends to used for the repairs in the PDF that was posted on here, I've also attached that PDF

The glue, https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/BOS360

https://www.swift-Talk.co.uk/forum/download/forum_file/295749/Swift - repair front bottom end.pdf

Thank your for the help Yesman.  I have learned from the similar thread on Swift Talk that my particular caravan should (despite my dealers contrary advice) be covered for this under warranty.  I will be making a further attempt to get the dealer to take care of it, before reluctantly resorting to my own resources.

2 minutes ago, Ern said:

Thank your for the help Yesman.  I have learned from the similar thread on Swift Talk that my particular caravan should (despite my dealers contrary advice) be covered for this under warranty.  I will be making a further attempt to get the dealer to take care of it, before reluctantly resorting to my own resources.

Perhaps you could enlighten us about who your dealer is?

And I think quite correct they must repair it.

A bigger issue is if this is a design problem then it's going to show up first on high usage vans. It certainly doesn't appear to be something specific eg we had a weak batch of glue / screws...

Are everyone's gas locker angle brackets bonded into place as well as screwed. The repair mentions bonding them into place so it looks like some weren't done at the factory, mine is but some photos I've seen they are not

On 16/01/2020 at 14:35, Danuk said:

13 hours ago, PandR said:

Perhaps you could enlighten us about who your dealer is?

And I think quite correct they must repair it.

A bigger issue is if this is a design problem then it's going to show up first on high usage vans. It certainly doesn't appear to be something specific eg we had a weak batch of glue / screws...

I wont name and shame the dealer. I have to speak to them again and discuss getting it done under warranty. 

I agree with you that there is a design error underlying this. Regardless of repairs which are just that  ( repairs to restore it to intended factory build spec) the design is inadequate, and further failures are quite possible in my opinion. Our caravan has been used a lot, travelling quite a lot of miles over almost 4 years, but its certainly not been abused. It is immaculate inside and out.