Just had a letter from Swift regarding my old 2017 Challenger. I am still in their records as the registered owner

As some members on here have found out the front lower bulkhead can come away, causing the front end to move about.  

Swift want to come and inspect  the van then if necessary arrange repairs.

I have not got the van now, part exed it to Kimberleys in 2018, but shows they have never informed Swift of the ownership change(so this will mean the warranty wont have been transferred I suspect)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cmac. I can empathise.   it appears that Swift not only use self-tapping screws but self-loosening screws also. 

Wry smile at Swifts reply in the article.   "The number of reported defects is extremely low............"   Then.   "We aim to respond to all requests within 10 working d

Yes it was collected on a low loader and they are blaming the haulage company for the delays in collecting and returning. I feel sorry for anybody who has to have the repairs done now, as I said swift

Posted Images

So no one knows if that includes the 2017 Ht Conqueror models, or others?

Would this problem cause instability when towing?

Always look on the bright . .. side of life . .. de. .da de. .da de. .da de. .da.
Bailey Cadiz S4 2019, Ford Edge 2.0

This is a copy of the recall notice!!!

2017 SWIFT Challenger4S0 At T3F 2017 0909035
Our records show that you are the current owner ofthe above caravan.
We have identified a potential issue with the lower front bulkhead installation that may require rectification.
We are therefore launching a safety recall and would like to arrange for an Approved Engineer to visit your caravan to carry out a series of checks. The check should take around 15-30 minutes to complete.
Once the Approved Engineer has completed the inspection, they will advise you the outcome and whether or not further action is necessary. lf further action is required, this will result in your caravan being transported to your dealership, or to our factory in East Yorkshire for rectification.
Please see attached map. This shows when the Approved Engineers will be in your area. These are week commencing dates.
Please checkwhich area you are in, and choose a week commencingdatethatwill suityou (you can choose morethan one date) and please e-mail FBE(@swiftleisure.co.ukwith this information, the reference number at the top of this letter and the location of your caravan. We willthen come back to you within 7-10 days to make the necessary arrangements.
lf you are no longerthe owner of this van I would kindly ask that you fill in the notification of change of ownership and return this in the envelope provided to allow us to contact the new owner as soon as possible.
I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but trust that you are assured of our continued commitment in ensuring you experience trouble free holidays in your caravan
Yours sincerely

Amy Archer Deputv Manasing Director

regards

jdt

Hi,

I had the very same recall letter on Saturday.. it's for our 2017 Alpine Sprite SB.   Front bulkhead issue. I have replied back to Swift requesting dates for the engineer visit. I also asked if it was safe to tow the caravan as I would rather it be here at home when the engineer calls to do his checks. I can keep an eye on what he checks / finds. Still not had a reply about date or if I can safely tow it...... 

47 minutes ago, Stuie G said:

Hi,

I had the very same recall letter on Saturday.. it's for our 2017 Alpine Sprite SB.   Front bulkhead issue. I have replied back to Swift requesting dates for the engineer visit. I also asked if it was safe to tow the caravan as I would rather it be here at home when the engineer calls to do his checks. I can keep an eye on what he checks / finds. Still not had a reply about date or if I can safely tow it...... 

Hi, I had the same letter on Saturday regarding our 2017 Challenge 580, there is no reference to if you can use the van but the line about transportation to a repair centre set alarm bells ringing. I rang Swift Customer Services today who couldn't or wouldn't answer my question about towing my van, they enquired whether I  asked when I emailed to make the engineer appointment! Told them it was the last thing on my mind at that time so they said they would get the Recall department would to me ring, still waiting, think its wrong that Swifts Customer Services don't know the answer to quite an important question! 

Regarding whether or not to tow, up until now it was fine to tow as no-one was informed. so carry on and bring your van home.

This problem must have been around for a while but the frequency must be high enough for Swift to organise this recall. The body wont fall off, but the problem may be made worse by towing over uneven terrain I suspect

As said this is a Safety recall which they are legal required to cover as it can effect road safety while being towed .

That letter puts all the responsibility on the owner  if you have an accident as a result ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

As said this is a Safety recall which they are legal required to cover as it can effect road safety while being towed .

That letter puts all the responsibility on the owner  if you have an accident as a result ?

Dave

After many attempts of trying to find out if my van was safe to tow I finally had a reply from Swift Customer Services on Facebook Messenger saying "Hi, I have spoken with our recall team. Your caravan is safe to use in the meantime until it is inspected. For any further information you will need to await a response from our team. Thanks," I have it in writing now that they have advised me the van is safe so it's now doubly their problem! 

Well I have discovered today that our 206 Challenger appears to have this failure. We checked it today and the floor has definitely separated from the body sides.  This means the recall of 2017 models is not the whole story. Over on Swift Talk, someone has posted a copy of the repair procedure (not a small job). As our caravan is 4 years old its out of warranty, so I will be discussing this with our dealer tomorrow.

Ern

21 minutes ago, Ern said:

Well I have discovered today that our 206 Challenger appears to have this failure. We checked it today and the floor has definitely separated from the body sides.  This means the recall of 2017 models is not the whole story. Over on Swift Talk, someone has posted a copy of the repair procedure (not a small job). As our caravan is 4 years old its out of warranty, so I will be discussing this with our dealer tomorrow.

Is there any chance you might be able to post a copy of the repair procedure? Be interesting to see what the problem is so I can check ours again as I couldn't see a problem with ours but that doesn't mean it's not a failure waiting to happen. Cheers. 

9 minutes ago, Yesman said:

Is there any chance you might be able to post a copy of the repair procedure? Be interesting to see what the problem is so I can check ours again as I couldn't see a problem with ours but that doesn't mean it's not a failure waiting to happen. Cheers. 

https://www.swift-Talk.co.uk/forum/download/forum_file/295749/Swift - repair front bottom end.pdf

I don't know whether this will work so try it.

Ern

15 minutes ago, Ern said:

Cheers but doesn't work, I imagine isn't because I would need to join and log in, cheers again anyway. 👍

Edited by Yesman

But a safety recall can be anything that affects the caravans safety. Faulty gas regulator,  incorrect cable routing (that can chaff and eventually arc on metal), poor quality supply of alloy for the alloy wheels (which can crack and cause blow out) the term “safety recall” is very loose and broad. They state what they need to investigate, but do not say if you should stop towing the caravan. Yes they say it’s a lower bulkhead issue. But do not state you should not move your caravan. Upon this, and the fact they do not advise you not to tow, I would continue towing as needed. Their recall letter does not categorically  state the ‘van cannot be moved. The fact that people have phoned the Swift helpline and they do not know / don’t respond suggests this is bigger than they hoped. Damage to reputation such as this can cause companies to close down!  Anyone remember the Toyota pedal box recall?  It cost them millions. But they have billions in the bank to keep afloat!  

58 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Cheers, So it looks like they are literally using the existing parts of the van, extra glue, or STR360 as they call it, and lots of extra screws and fixings. Looks like a sticking plaster solution! But to be honest if that is the repair solution that has put my mind to rest a bit as I had visions of the inside front and the gas locker of my van being pulled to bits!!

Edited by Yesman

Document looks like it was created in Jan 2018. So was this a known fault that has only just received a recall?

• I agree completely 1

Some people are just all show. I don't mind that if the show is worth watching, but . ..

The Chinster

It don't look too bad, I was expecting a lot worse and the front end been ripped off to do the fix.

be nice to see if they have a process sheet for how to check for the fault.

we could check our own then to put our minds at rest,

Danny

5 minutes ago, Goforitt said:

Just read the document above and note the section copied below. Even if the risk is low or negligible, how do we know this without an assessment?

2055634447_Swift2017Recall.thumb.jpg.743804bda17a2e324283fa88ecc0034c.jpg

But its only for workshop staff and will be covered by the risk assessments for other processes they do.

As above the risk assessment is only for those carrying out the work.

Having read the PDF I'm just glad that my 2017 doesn't require that work as its a lot more involved than what i was expecting.

At least it gives dealers time to rectify before spring arrives