Bailey Bordeaux

carl

May be a silly question but does the Bailey range after 2001 have a joint on the roof where fibreglass meets the aluminium roof. I ask this question as i have been looking at 2004 Bordeaux today which had an aluminum type rail across the roof which was siliconed back and front and screwed down with small pk screws and a blob of silicone in the heads. Is this normal?In my opinion it looked like a little DIY job. I know the joint has to be somewhere mine is above the front windows and the 2005 is seamless but it is the way this seems to be finished that has me thinking.

Thanks for any help

Carl.

Hi Carl

I don’t know if it is of any help but when we went to purchase our second hand Bordeaux last August I took lots of photos which if you send me you email address you are FREE to look at them and hopefully see an answer to your question as I am not sure as to where you mean. Unfortunately I can not get to my caravan for another couple of weeks to look, as it is 100 miles away in storage on site.

Regards

David

Hi Carl

I don’t know if it is of any help but when we went to purchase our second hand Bordeaux last August I took lots of photos which if you send me you email address you are FREE to look at them and hopefully see an answer to your question as I am not sure as to where you mean. Unfortunately I can not get to my caravan for another couple of weeks to look, as it is 100 miles away in storage on site.

Regards

David

7727[/snapback]

Thanks for photos,

but doesnt show forward of the sun roof.

May be a silly question but does the Bailey range after 2001 have a joint on the roof where fibreglass meets the aluminium roof. I ask this question as i have been looking at 2004 Bordeaux today which had  an aluminum type rail across the roof which was siliconed back and front and screwed down with small pk screws and a blob of silicone in the heads. Is this normal?In my opinion it looked like a little DIY job. I know the joint has to be somewhere mine is above the front windows and the 2005 is seamless but it is the way this seems to be finished that has me thinking.

Thanks for any help

Carl.

7710[/snapback]

Carl,

I have a 2003 Senator Arizona and mine has metal strips on the roof front and back where the alloy roof joins the fibreglass mouldings. These seem to have an excess of silicone around them, some of which has turned black. I only got the van last October so will investigate and clean them in the spring.

On that basis I would say that what you are seeing is normal.

I believe that the newer vans have a so called bonded roof. This may allow Baileys to make different joints on the roof.

I am sure somebody will come up with the answer!!

Regards

Bob R

Carl,

I have a 2003 Senator Arizona and mine has metal strips on the roof front and back where the alloy roof joins the fibreglass mouldings. These seem to have an excess of silicone around them, some of which has turned black. I only got the van last October so will investigate and clean them in the spring.

On that basis I would say that what you are seeing is normal.

I believe that the newer vans have a so called bonded roof. This may allow Baileys to make different joints on the roof.

I am sure somebody will come up with the answer!!

Regards

Bob R

7766[/snapback]

Thanks Bob thats all i needed to know. Just looked a slighty poor finish, must just be the way they do it.

I have the 2004 Bordeaux which also has the aluminium strip covering the join between front panel and the roof panel. I agree it does look a bit DIY but seems to have survived the past year OK.

I was pitched alongside another 2003 Pageant (Champagne I think) last summer and he also had the same strip.

Only problem I found was the sharp ends potentially rubbing thru the fabric of our cover. I've filed them down a bit and padded them with bubble wrap to avoid damaging the cover.

David

• 1 month later...
May be a silly question but does the Bailey range after 2001 have a joint on the roof where fibreglass meets the aluminium roof. I ask this question as i have been looking at 2004 Bordeaux today which had  an aluminum type rail across the roof which was siliconed back and front and screwed down with small pk screws and a blob of silicone in the heads. Is this normal?In my opinion it looked like a little DIY job. I know the joint has to be somewhere mine is above the front windows and the 2005 is seamless but it is the way this seems to be finished that has me thinking.

Thanks for any help

Carl.

7710[/snapback]

Hi Carl,

I think what you are seeing is standard. I recall in my early days of caravan hunting actually turning down a near new Canadian van (called Okanagan) 'cause of what looked like "DIY" repairs to the roof seals (around various vents) but some time later when speaking to the franchise agent about it he said that was normal! I have to agree though that it conjures up thoughts of amatuerish repairs. I would have bought that van but for the look of the roof sealant. It was only 2-3 years old at the time.

regards

John Lee