Ford Galaxy with Powershift bad idea?

I currently own a  59Volvo XC90 D5 Auto 185 BHP car. It has lots of plusses but it drinks fuel no end. I drive around 13K each year with some of that being towing as well. I have been looking at getting another 7 seat car that is more economical.

I have found a 64 Ford Galaxy 2 litre 138BHP and it has a powershift. Now I am about to test drive it tomorrow and was hoping to make a deal. My worry is that a few people have mentioned them not being best for towing. 

Should I A) Get the Powershift but keep on top of fluids?  B ) Get a seat Albrhama with a manual box or C) Just keep the XC90

The XC90 also needs it's belt replacing so need to budget around 400 quid for that to be done. 

Ive had 2 Galaxy's, one with a conventional auto box and one with the Powershift box. I wouldn't touch a Ford Powershift equipped car with a bargepole. Ours was jerky, not good during manouvering and unreliable. When it finally die, every transmission expert I spoke to knew straight away what was needed and said they are all the same. Ours had don 82,000 miles when the gearbox was toast.

I have a powrshift box on my AWD 2015 Kuga, cannot fault it, definitely th smoothest autobox I've owned

• I agree completely 1

Vauxhall Insignia 2. 0 SRI Bailey Pursuit 550/4

I've been looking for a nearly-new car and was looking at the Ford EcoSport but then kept reading about its PowerShift gearbox being unreliable.  It has two dry clutches and the oil seals fail allowing oil onto the clutches.  I believe there are other problems too.  Here's an article listing all the vehicles using them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

the Galaxy, S-Max and Mondeo and probably the Kuga have Powershift boxes are wet clutch, it's the smaller engined cars that have the dry clutch version and AFAIK Ford sorted it out several years ago .

I've had three Powershift S-maxes and theres been nothing wrong with the gear boxes

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It seems to vary, depending on engine fitted https://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/78664/what-do-you-think-of-the-powershift-auto-gearbox-in-the-ford-kuga-

I asked four or five salesmen which cars had torque converters and they had no idea what I was talking about!

AFAIK the dry clutch version is rated up to 250nm, so fitted to smaller engines whereas the the wet plate is rated to 450nm and will be fitted higher output engines.

Perhaps Logiclee has an opinion

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thank you for replies even 64 plate only has 25k on all Ford services. Ford even replaced belt etc as must be on service plan.  Trying to find out if ford would have replaced the oil as standard. 

Ford are moving away from the DSG type  auto onto a 8 speed TC type, that would be my choice.

Hmm, well I could get an manual but to be fair love the hassle free of not having to keep changing gears and using a clutch.

we are on our second ford kuga auto, it's proved a good tow car, OH says when towing you wouldn't know he has a van on the back, it's so smooth. 

It looks like I might have over reacted with all the horror stories. It's just been a worrier thinking buy this car and if gear box goes it's 2K to repair. 

I just seen an Estate Skoda Superb but weight is an issue as they are very light. 

10 minutes ago, mprcomp said:

It looks like I might have over reacted with all the horror stories. It's just been a worrier thinking buy this car and if gear box goes it's 2K to repair. 

I just seen an Estate Skoda Superb but weight is an issue as they are very light. 

You need to know that the Powershift has had oil and filter changes at the appropriate intervals, and they're NOT included as part of any regular service...

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

Can you ask EXACTLY which gearbox is fitted?

Powershift is Ford's name for twin cluch autos (6-speed?).  Durashift was used for torque converter boxes (also 6 speed in later days), but in their latest 8-speed automatic form Ford just use the term automatic.  

After early failure/problems Ford introduced regular oil changes on the wet clutch Powershifts.  (Albeit as an extra cost option, as they do for other similar items:  brake fluid change, brakes/discs, air-con, belts).  Proof of the Service History of Powershift oil/filter changes at the requisite intervals would be essential (with receipts ideally).  A suitable add-on warranty may comfort any purchase?

I've managed to dodge the Powershift boxes with my Galaxy purchases - but only by luck with the latest, it has the new 8-speed box: used with the ecoBlue engined version.  The New Kuga - only just released - has the new 8-speed auto box, or a CVT in the PHEV form.  https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/new-kuga?vehicleNavCategory=all cars

64 plate era:  might find a last of the 2.2 litre (200PS) Galaxys with the Durashift box (ours was 63 plate and sold off my Dealer's forecourt within a couple of weeks of our trade in)?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

7 hours ago, mprcomp said:

It seems to be the luck of the draw, I personally wouldn't have another and as XTRAILMAN said, Ford are moving away from them, that should speak volumes.

Worth a read https://axleaddict.com/cars/Powershift-Automatic-Transmission-Faults

AJG

11 hours ago, matelodave said:

Perhaps Logiclee has an opinion

A 2.0TDi in a 64 plate will be a wet clutch.

There are three dual clutch transmission I would not own without a bullet proof warranty.

The wet or dry clutch Ford dual clutch boxes and the VAG 7 speed dry clutch DSG.

There's just too many known issues and the repairs can run into several thousands. The Ford wet clutch has a specific known issue that it struggles to dissipate heat. This can be an issue especially if heavily loaded, the first symptom of this is judder under load.

In some areas Ford have been subject to class action law suits and have been forced to offer lifetime warranties but not in the EU. Ford stopped development of dual clutch boxes some years ago and has been phasing them out over the last 6 years. 

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

8 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Powershift is Ford's name for twin cluch autos (6-speed?).  Durashift was used for torque converter boxes (also 6 speed in later days), but in their latest 8-speed automatic form Ford just use the term automatic.  

Unfortunately not so over the last few years.

Some petrol variants have been sold with conventional autos under the Poweshift umbrella and even Ford's promotional material listed the new Focus as having a powershift auto.

Autotrader and dealer used adverts are also a nightmare.

Have owned a Mondeo and Kuga, both fitted with the 6 speed Powershift box

Towed all over the UK and France with no issues

Remember, people are much more likely to complain than praise, especially online

2017 Ford Kuga ST-Line X 180PS

2016 Sterling Eccles 590

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. . . .. . ..but the highest form of intelligence"

5 hours ago, Debaser said:

Have owned a Mondeo and Kuga, both fitted with the 6 speed Powershift box

Towed all over the UK and France with no issues

Remember, people are much more likely to complain than praise, especially online

Makes you wonder why Ford stopped using them?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Smax with the powershift box.

On 99000 miles now, no issues with it. It's had one gearbox/oil filter change in that time.

Lunar Solaris 524

38 minutes ago, littlebasher said:

I have a 2014 Smax with the powershift box.

On 99000 miles now, no issues with it. It's had one gearbox/oil filter change in that time.

With gearboxes with known issues and questionable reliability it doesn't mean they are all going to fail.

It's a risk and percentages game. Maybe lucky, maybe not.

Question is, should you play in the first place?

• I agree completely 1

On my second Galaxy with powershift boxes. Brilliant towcars. No gearbox issues at all.

Have had recommended oil and filter changes. Expensive @ £250, but better safe than sorry.

On 26/01/2020 at 18:47, Gavlar said:

On my second Galaxy with powershift boxes. Brilliant towcars. No gearbox issues at all.

Have had recommended oil and filter changes. Expensive @ £250, but better safe than sorry.

Likewise, I’m on my second Galaxy with Powershift. The current one is also AWD. I’ve had no problems with either cars.

<p>Ford Galaxy Auto (powershift)AWD Towing An Elddis Avante 866 :)

Get something with a proper automatic gearbox (one with a torque converter and an epicyclic  gearbox) brilliant for towing and NO dodgy clutches to wear out! (Yes full TC auto’s do have a type of clutch but it’s a very different beast to what is normally viewed as being a clutch) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills