Sign in to follow this  
rfrancis1000

Route to Dordogne

I'm sure this has been covered before ....does anyone have a reasonable route to circumnavigate Paris. I'm heading later this year to the Dordogne, I'm fed up with the Rouen/Evereaux/Dreaux route. Last year I tried Amien and then toward Versailles but almost came to grief with a low tunnel. I wonder if anyone has tried Amien/Beauvais/Orsay towing a van? Ideally need to join A10 somewhere east of Chartre near junction of A10/A11

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Which crossing do you use?

John.

Personnaly 

Poole Cherbourg overnight ferry and then

Cherbourg
Caen
LeMans
Tours
Poitiers
Limoges-Cite
And then A20

You can do this in one day all be it its about a 12 hour drive down

Rfrancis, If you absolutely must start from Calais then via Rouen, Le Mans, Tours , Loches, Chateauroux, , Limoges and Brive.  

And if you want to miss Rouen then pass it on the west side via Yvetot and  cross the Seine by the Pont de Brotonne instead 

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moorgate said:

Rfrancis, If you absolutely must start from Calais then via Rouen, Le Mans, Tours , Loches, Chateauroux, , Limoges and Brive.  

And if you want to miss Rouen then pass it on the west side via Yvetot and  cross the Seine by the Pont de Brotonne instead 

That’s exactly the route we’ll be taking in June, overnighting in Tours. 

Thanks Guys for replying: I live in Kent 40 mins from Dover which is why I use Dover/Calais also I take my dog so a short crossing is preferable.

I normally use route through Dreaux etc but the traffic is horrendous so I tried circumnavigating Paris last summer, however that proved difficult due to some Major roadworks and a low bridge.I would like to try again keeping to the west of Versailles joining the A11/A10 then picking up the route to Orleans.

Rfrancis, Yes, that's possible. You can approach Paris on the A16 and leave it at junction 10 on to the A184 which is one of the outer Paris ring roads.

It passes Cergy, crosses the Seine  on a high level bridge at Comflans Ste Honorine and is dual carriageway for much of the way.

The only slow bit is getting around or through St Germain en Laye, but after that you pick up motorway on the north side of Versailles which leads on to the N10 past Rambouillet and straight onto Orleans.

It's a route I have used with a caravan when staying at tne Paris campsite at Maisons Lafittes and then going on south from there.  I don't have a sat nav and didn't find it difficult. 

• Like 1

I dislike the Nonancourt- Dreux section too. However, I think it’s the least bad option, unless you take the extra couple of hours to do the Le Mans detour (sorry for the pun).

Anything close to Paris reminds me of the M25: N10 Rambouillet is stop-start; the outer peripheriques take you all over, weaving between the radial autoroutes; and as you found, the A86 west side isn’t caravan accessible (though the tunnel is really spacey if you’re no towing!).

The options therefore are more limited than they ought to be: you have a choice between balancing speed and congestion, or taking your time on the byways. Anyway the planning keeps us going during the darker days of winter!

We always used to drive from Manchester to Tours direct using a night crossing Dover/Calais ferry. We would go via Rouen stopping for an overnight stop at Tours, and then onto the Dordogne from there