Sign in to follow this  
Terryb250

Large One Piece Front Window Reliability

I am considering buying a Swift Freestyle 6 berth van, but am a little concerned about the reliability of the large one-piece front window.  Just a little worried about the window deforming when towing into a head-wind and letting in rain water around the seals.   Has anyone had any bad experiences with one-piece front windows?   Thank you.

Big one on our Pegasus; never had any issue at all but we did fit a towing cover as we didn't want a stone through it!

Problem with the large front window of my Bailey Pursuit is the roller blind, it's just terrible to operate.

• +1 1

By “big” I assume (dangerous I know) you are referring to those that are vertical and curve around the top of the van? 

My only observation would be that a curved item is less prone to flexing than one that is totally flat. They have been fitted to many caravans for a good few years now and there doesn’t seem  to be any “issues” with them flexing and leaking.

Think how huge some of the one piece windows that stretched horizontally all the way across the front of caravans a few years ago, none of them seemed to suffer from the issue you are alluding to. 

I think you are concerning yourself over a problem that doesn't exist. I have a Bailey Phoenix with a tall front window and it doesn’t leak (but it’s only 12 months old) 

Andy

• Like 1

This problem arrose with Windows around 2009 which bowed whilst towing. Ours bowed at 40 MPH I could see it in my mirror. Window was replaced twice under warranty, but the second window was a modified version to prevent this happening. This problem I have not seen  posted about since on any of the forums especially on the Swift Talk one. 

49 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

By “big” I assume (dangerous I know) you are referring to those that are vertical and curve around the top of the van? 

Andy, I think that usually people mean the one-piece front window like this …

F2760D44-58F1-4889-AE4D-F6C9ED51A5F4.thumb.jpeg.b15128385ae3031ab281a22c6b90e806.jpeg

…  as opposed to the 3-piece one.

Terry, I had a 2010 Alpine for 8 years without any problem whatsoever with this window.

John

• Like 1

Yes that's the style I was meaning in reference to troublesum blind.

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Yes that's the style I was meaning in reference to troublesum blind.

I had no trouble with the blind, nor the fly screen. And curtains were easier too, as you just had to pull the 2 pieces across to meet in the middle.

John

4 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I had no trouble with the blind, nor the fly screen. And curtains were easier too, as you just had to pull the 2 pieces across to meet in the middle.

John

Very difficult to roll up even after increasing tension a couple of times.

Get first service next week so have asked dealer to fix or replace

Terry,  this has been raised a few times and if memory serves it was on the Caravan Club forum and on the Swift OC forum some time ago.  

I remember that one owner said the flex was so bad that the inner and outer layers of the window had rubbed together and left a mark inside the window.   I don't remember anybody complaining about leaks though.

I don't know the solution to the problem but I do know there were conflicting experiences and production discrepancies were blamed in the same way they were regarding delamination issues 20-odd years ago.

I do remember one owner found that his top box  deflected the wind pressure sufficiently to effect a temporary fix.

Have you put a question out to Swift owners?

Large front windows can't be an issue in principle because all Continental caravans with front windows are of the large type and their suppliers are the same manufacturers (Dometic Seitz, Polyplastic or Para Press) that produce the windows for the UK caravan industry, too.

4 hours ago, David 38 said:

Problem with the large front window of my Bailey Pursuit is the roller blind, it's just terrible to operate.

We have the same issue from time to

time but other than that no issues to speak of - prefer it to three as you get a much nicer view out

I cannot remember any problems with this window on Swift models. I think it was Coachman and Bailey due to the flexing mentioned. If it was a problem on that caravan then a careful examination of the window will show it up.

We have had three caravans with that type of window and the only problem we had was on a Trophy where the window could bend when opened, until you had it secured both sides in the open position. I have not heard of this since though, but it might well be worth opening the window and holding at one side to check.

Actually I do not think I've opened the front window yet, for ventilation plenty of others that look more stable to use.

I guess prior to Easter when I prepare for second year use I may have to open it slightly for cleaning the caravan.

I had the outer of the front window bowing in to rub the inner of the window on my Orion, leaving internal scratches

See here

It was replaced under warranty. The replacement still did the same but to a lesser extent.

The Pursuit 2, has the same window, but all is OK (so far)

18 minutes ago, Wunny said:

The Pursuit 2, has the same window, but all is OK (so far)

How's the blind?

Our 2014 Swift had the problem where inner and outer layers rubbed. Replaced under warranty soon after purchase and no problem since.

As per an earlier post its only British caravans in general have three piece front windows, all the continentals have one piece which includes vans which up until recently are often wider.

27 minutes ago, David 38 said:

How's the blind?

No problems pulling either down, but the main blind doesn't release easily, but once released returns with no problems.  I've never had the release problem on any other blind, on either of the two caravans that I've owned.  As it's over 12 month old Bailey wouldn't care a jot regarding a warranty claim.

Thank you to everyone who responded, much appreciated.  Think I will go and take a look at the van.

We had an Orion with a one piece front window,we had no problem with flexing but I always thought it was too heavy for the stays.

One side pulled out and had to be reattached but I was never perfectly happy with it.

Ian

16 minutes ago, Tandem Man said:

We had an Orion with a one piece front window,we had no problem with flexing but I always thought it was too heavy for the stays.

One side pulled out and had to be reattached but I was never perfectly happy with it.

Ian

If we open ours, it's propped up with a block of wood.  I don't trust the stays either!