Sign in to follow this  
arty 25

algae

hi has anyone any ideas how to stop algae growing on caravan .its in outside storage and keeps going green a sick of washing it ? 

thanks 

Move it away from trees and large shrubs - we have a large oak tree opposite the house and get far too much moss and algae on the caravan and on the house roof.

its away from trees but its got grass around it . if i wax it will that stop it somebody said try that ?

10 minutes ago, arty 25 said:

its away from trees but its got grass around it . if i wax it will that stop it somebody said try that ?

Yes, there are various products, mainly waxes that will slow algal growth and make it easier to wash off.

No doubt Tourershine will be along shortly with more details, or you could do worse than using their name in the search facility.

• Like 1

‘Wet and forget‘ has been recommended on here in the past. I’m trialling it on my patio, driveway and decking atm. 

Wet and Forget works great on roof tiles, patios etc.

There's perhaps a leap of faith to spray it over a caravan but the chemical is fairly benign...

• Like 1

Could always cover it up..

On 10/01/2020 at 18:25, Stevan said:

No doubt Tourershine will be along shortly with more details, or you could do worse than using their name in the search facility.

There isn't really much I can add to this, other than through my experience Algae doesn't appear overnight.  In fact it often takes a fair amount of time to Green off a surface.  The OP said they are sick of washing it, but i'm afraid that's just part of owning a Caravan.  They sit for long periods of time in one position, they go Green, not much will stop that.  A wax will only make it easier to remove the Algae, not completely stop it. 

Also bare in mind there doesn't necessarily have to be trees above a Caravan for it to go Green.  Things like conifer hedging that's often used to obscure a storage site from prying eyes, can easily Green off a Caravan from quite a distance. 

Sorry I couldn't really be of more help on this one. 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2020 at 21:37, Fireman Iain said:

‘Wet and forget‘ has been recommended on here in the past. I’m trialling it on my patio, driveway and decking atm. 

I've been using Wet & Forget around the house for a few years & the results are fantastic - so far I've done my patio, driveway, the other half's extensive outdoor pot collection, the rendering on the front of the house & our garden fence and they have all come up like new. Just buy a cheap pump action pressure sprayer from somewhere like Screwfix for £8 and you're good to go. I've never used it on a caravan though, but on looking at the Wet & Forget website they list the applications as

"Wet & Forget can be used on an extensive range of outdoor surfaces including tarmac, concrete, decking, roof tiles, Astroturf, bowling greens, bricks and paving, canvas tents, caravan awnings, conservatories, fibreglass boats, greenhouses, golf greens, limestone, sandstone, marble, outdoor furniture, outdoor pots, outdoor painted surfaces, pool surrounds, shade sails, slate, tennis courts, yacht sails". 

So they mention caravan awnings, but no mention of  caravans themselves. Anyway, it may be expensive but it's great stuff and goes a long way. Be interested to hear if it's ok on caravans.

Whilst I was a bit sceptical about "wet and forget" I was really pleased with the results when I tried it.  I reported my findings on here a while back when my van went green in open air storage.   

Just follow the instructions and a garden sprayer is the way to go.  Leave it to work for as long as you can - I'd say at least 10 days - before washing etc.