Sign in to follow this  
Lozzyf

Hybrid towing 1500cwt caravan?

After a chat with my next door neighbour who is “someone technical” in the design of new vehicles and has a proto type Range Rover hybrid on his drive atm . I mention that I didn’t think that it would be any good for us as it’s hybrid whereon he raised his eyebrow and said “I think your mistaken” . . . . . . Am I ? ,I thought that they weren’t a good idea for towing a caravan ?   

Of course he's mistaken.  No Land Rovers are ever suitable for towing.  :ducks:

Pretty much anything can tow a caravan:  how well, reliably, safely and economically is a different thing.  Hybrid mix battery-electric and a convention powered engine to get round the distance limitation of all-electric. 

Mitsubishi PHEV is an example hybrid that does the job OK but is at its limit with 1500kg and drinks petrol while doing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's an interesting comment from your neighbour, as the car is a prototype.  Currently there aren't hybrid cars that would work well with anything other than a very small caravan, maybe they manufacturers are considering our needs

3 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

It's an interesting comment from your neighbour, as the car is a prototype.  Currently there aren't hybrid cars that would work well with anything other than a very small caravan, maybe they manufacturers are considering our needs

JLR will regard towing as a prerequisite for any new powertrain.

• +1 1

My neighbour has a Range Rover sport ph400e hybrid. That can tow 2500kg so could handle any caravan I can think of. 

Currently there aren't hybrid cars that would work well with anything other than a very small caravan, maybe they manufacturers are considering our needs

Dunno where you get that idea - the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is rated at 1500kg, the Passat GTE 1600kg (and various VAG models with the same drivetrain at 1400-1600kg).

As for the OP, 1500cwt is over 68,000kg - I assume you mean 1500kg!

• Like 1
  • +1 1

5 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Blimey missed that! I just read  it as 1500 kg (my brain autocorrect working too well)!  {My proof-reading head is heare somewhere I thingk?}

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

He’s ordered one as his company car ,delivery in two weeks 😉

13 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Dunno where you get that idea - the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is rated at 1500kg, the Passat GTE 1600kg (and various VAG models with the same drivetrain at 1400-1600kg).

Lol . . . . Trust me !! , . .. . Yes I did 🙈🙈🙄

We tow a 2 berth Bailey Unicorn Seville with a Lexus Hybrid. (GS 450). Although we havent been caravaners for long, a 3 week trip round Ireland and a 10 day trip to Northumberland plus other small trips have been completed without any difficulty whatsoever. About 25mpg when towing 39 to 40 when not.

We already owned the car when we decided to get a caravan, saw that the V5 said it could tow up to 1500kg, didn't want to change the car and so off we went. 

As a newbie to this and having no problems towing with hybrid I cant really see what the fixation is with diesels - though I admit that fuel economy would almost certainly be better with a diesel. But of course a lot depends on how many miles are done towing and how many ordinary driving which differ from family to family.

Loads of Dutch caravaners tow with VAG 1.4 petrol hybrids, quite often to the limit of what they can tow it seems! Appeals to me

1 hour ago, Snellybob said:

We tow a 2 berth Bailey Unicorn Seville with a Lexus Hybrid. (GS 450). Although we havent been caravaners for long, a 3 week trip round Ireland and a 10 day trip to Northumberland plus other small trips have been completed without any difficulty whatsoever. About 25mpg when towing 39 to 40 when not.

We already owned the car when we decided to get a caravan, saw that the V5 said it could tow up to 1500kg, didn't want to change the car and so off we went. 

As a newbie to this and having no problems towing with hybrid I cant really see what the fixation is with diesels - though I admit that fuel economy would almost certainly be better with a diesel. But of course a lot depends on how many miles are done towing and how many ordinary driving which differ from family to family.

Am seriously looking at the RX450, so it’s good to hear somebody is using a Lexus. Think the RX has a 2000kg limit so is more than suitable as a replacement for our current XC60.

As far as I can see there are only three reasons to buy a hybrid the first and most worthwhile is if you do a regular say around 20` commute each day, the second you are a "green" (see below) and third you wish to kid yourself it will be worth significantly more when you trade it in. If it is to be used primarily as a towcar especially longer continental touring, taking into account the cost of purchase and fuel consumption there seems little benefit. According to the Society of Car Manufacturers since the bad publicity around diesels CO2 output has gone up, something which SUV Hybrids if not charged prior to each journey are contributing to in a not too insignificant way. I`m no technical type but I`m waiting to see if the hydrogen fuel cell may turn out to be the better bet with heavy vehicles, the  problem is the no small matter of production and distribution.

• Like 1

I hope a hybrid is OK, I've just purchased a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

It depends on how a vehicle is to be used whether it suits or not. Most of my motoring is within 10 miles of home, so the EV range is all I usualy need . Maybe 5 or 6 times a year we go away with the caravan, so we need a vehicle that will pull a 1490Kg Bailey Cadiz. The Mitsi will do that at a cost, I have heard that it will tow at about 19 or 20 MPG. My Mondeo would only get about 23 to 25 MPG towing, so that doesn't hurt too much. The only problem will be that the Mitsi only has a 10 gallon fuel tank, to make room for the battery, so I will have to stop to refill more often.

1 hour ago, compact said:

As far as I can see there are only three reasons to buy a hybrid the first and most worthwhile is if you do a regular say around 20` commute each day, the second you are a "green" (see below) and third you wish to kid yourself it will be worth significantly more when you trade it in. If it is to be used primarily as a towcar especially longer continental touring, taking into account the cost of purchase and fuel consumption there seems little benefit. According to the Society of Car Manufacturers since the bad publicity around diesels CO2 output has gone up, something which SUV Hybrids if not charged prior to each journey are contributing to in a not too insignificant way. I`m no technical type but I`m waiting to see if the hydrogen fuel cell may turn out to be the better bet with heavy vehicles, the  problem is the no small matter of production and distribution.

The 20 miles commute per day would only apply to Plug In Electric Vehicles (PHEV), the none plug in ones are pretty much pointless and offer little / no advantage over a diesel. The so called 'self charging hybrids' are absolutely pointless, charging batteries from a petrol generator is a) expensive and b) inefficient.

• Like 1

There is no reason why current and next generation hybrids should not be competent towcars but the OPs fuel consumption only confirms that they are no better than "competent"!

The only real benefit is if they do a lot of stop/start urban crawl.

PHEVs can have a decent electric range solo, but have to lug the heavy batteries around the rest of the time.

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

Am seriously looking at the RX450, so it’s good to hear somebody is using a Lexus. Think the RX has a 2000kg limit so is more than suitable as a replacement for our current XC60.

For over 6 years I towed an 1800kg caravan with a Lexus RX400h hybrid.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

There is no reason why current and next generation hybrids should not be competent towcars but the OPs fuel consumption only confirms that they are no better than "competent"!

The only real benefit is if they do a lot of stop/start urban crawl.

PHEVs can have a decent electric range solo, but have to lug the heavy batteries around the rest of the time.

I don’t think I mentioned fuel consumption?

8 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

I don’t think I mentioned fuel consumption?

Sorry, it was Snellybob who mentioned fuel consumption!

Of course hybrids can be good tow cars; and a plug in (cannot see the point of non plug ins at all-just a bit more economical around town maybe) is the perfect solution. It has an engine and can tow at maybe a highish fuel consumption but once on site plug it in and much of your motoring is then free on electricity-if the site will stand it-trouble is many sites don't have the capacity to power the van and charge a car as yet. For home use they are ideal as many of us don't travel that far. So win win-and as they become more common I think towing capablity etc will improve. 

• Like 1

For an EV (not PHEV) to make a decent tow car there would need to be a countrywide revamp of caravan AND trailer parking facilities at rest areas with plenty of charging points but that's a different conversation. 

There are certainly some interesting vehicles and concepts springing up, eventually someone will get it right, rather than just getting it right for certain groups (BIK advantages for company car drivers as an example).

EV commercial vehicles will need to tow so it will get there, but for me it feels like the automotive industry is still in the design and development stage and using the public to test concepts rather than solutions. 

• Like 3

We've had a Toyota Estima Hybrid fr 3 yrs.( just sold brought a diesel ) It had no tow rating as such ! I put a towbar on and towed a garden trailer at times and a 12ft dinghy and outboard. No trouble with that, but I was never confident enough to tow our Pegasus Rimini ? It had the 2.4 liter motor same as aCamry  so was quite powerful on petrol, but ran on electric up to 30 mph the both. So it was very Eco round town but no better mpg  in the open Road travel than normal petrol I didn't think? But the thing was as it ran on EV up to 30 mpg if you were starting on a steepish incline or especially with a load in ( seated 7 passengers ) it was only running on electric and I got caught 2 or 3 times where it wouldn't take of so had to run back down onto the flat!!!!! They have 2 electric motor's to one in front and one on the diff at the rear which then gave it 4WD. I was not confident enough t hook up the 1474 kg van in case I ever got caught. Have a Ford Territory 2.7 Diesel 4WD now , no worries. So for normal motoring no real problems but careful on inclines ?.

13 minutes ago, James Donald said:

We've had a Toyota Estima Hybrid fr 3 yrs.( just sold brought a diesel ) It had no tow rating as such ! I put a towbar on and towed a garden trailer at times and a 12ft dinghy and outboard. No trouble with that, but I was never confident enough to tow our Pegasus Rimini ? It had the 2.4 liter motor same as aCamry  so was quite powerful on petrol, but ran on electric up to 30 mph the both. So it was very Eco round town but no better mpg  in the open Road travel than normal petrol I didn't think? But the thing was as it ran on EV up to 30 mpg if you were starting on a steepish incline or especially with a load in ( seated 7 passengers ) it was only running on electric and I got caught 2 or 3 times where it wouldn't take of so had to run back down onto the flat!!!!! They have 2 electric motor's to one in front and one on the diff at the rear which then gave it 4WD. I was not confident enough t hook up the 1474 kg van in case I ever got caught. Have a Ford Territory 2.7 Diesel 4WD now , no worries. So for normal motoring no real problems but careful on inclines ?.

In the UK vehicle's built after August 1998 must have type approval for towing stated by the manufacturer and towbars must follow the same so in most cases (ignoring grey imports) having a custom made towbar isn't possible. I know that this isn't the case in other countries. American trailer hitch manufacturers list hitches/towbars for several vehicles (Toyata Prius mk1 as an example).

Edited by GaryB1969

EV will be excellent for towing as they produce high levels of torque . The Tesla semi will move 50 tons from 0-60 in about 10 seconds and a 500 mile range against a diesel that take about 10x more .

I think the EV will be an improvement .

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

EV will be excellent for towing as they produce high levels of torque . The Tesla semi will move 50 tons from 0-60 in about 10 seconds and a 500 mile range against a diesel that take about 10x more .

I think the EV will be an improvement .

Dave

EV's produce 100% torque from zero RPM to Max, so yes, youre quite right, they will be excellent tow cars.

• Like 1