Sign in to follow this  

Braithwaite fold no longer a C&CC site

I have been trying to book Braithwaite fold  C&CC site as I usually do this time of year  for June, apparently as of this week the C&CC no longer looking after that site. what a shame. I wonder if the rent is too high for them.

Edited by Guest

CMC have it now. I hope they refurbish the facilities as they are getting a bit grotty

Thought it used to be a CMC site before C&CC took it over when the lease got too expensive for CMC, or the local council wouldn’t give CMC a long enough lease.

Edited by hp100425ev

Not on CMC website>

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

can't find anything about future ,, just a notice saying will close 2 Jan 2020

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

31 minutes ago, Danuk said:

CMC have it now. I hope they refurbish the facilities as they are getting a bit grotty

It is a possibily as that is what the booking operator insinuated. I will have to wait and see.

10 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Not on CMC website>

Not yet because the lease only expired this week.

South Lakeland District Council (presumably the site owners) applied for, and obtained in March 2019, Planning Approval for a 27 pitch extension (See Lake District National Park Application No  7/2018/5719 ).

Perhaps site is just closed for that redevelopment/extension work to take place?

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/17477436.lake-district-trees-felled-in-park-plan/

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

49 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

South Lakeland District Council (presumably the site owners) applied for, and obtained in March 2019, Planning Approval for a 27 pitch extension (See Lake District National Park Application No  7/2018/5719 ).

Perhaps site is just closed for that redevelopment/extension work to take place?

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/17477436.lake-district-trees-felled-in-park-plan/

The extension was nearly completed when I was there last June and was due to open around August/September.  I spoke to the C&CC on the phone this afternoon and was told they no longer manage the site.

The reviews this last autumn are not at all good.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

The reviews this last autumn are not at all good.

I know, that is the difference  when CMC  had the site and when  C&CC took over.

I understand that the owners, South Lakeland District Council, will only issue a short term lease for the site each time it comes up for renewal. The toilet block needs considerable refurbishment but the C&CC say it is too costly for a short lease.

The site was on the council website last October (the C&CC announced their decision to close it in the November magazine) inviting tenders to run the site on a ten year lease. I seem to recall the CMC citing the short term lease renewal as the reason they ended managing the site before the C&CC took it over.

Edited by Legal Eagle

The lease was up for renewal late last year, with a 10 year contract (double the last one I think) to run from last Monday! Apparently the C&CC have said in their magazine that they’re giving it up for the 2020 season.

The council have just spent a tidy sum extending the site, so no doubt the new contract will be looking to claw much of that back.

It may be that one of the big tourism concerns in The Lakes will get it, rather than one of the 2 main clubs.

John.

19 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

It may be that one of the big tourism concerns in The Lakes will get it, rather than one of the 2 main clubs.

If they do I suspect it will no longer be a Touring Park.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

56 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

If they do I suspect it will no longer be a Touring Park.

G&L, I think it will stay as a touring park, because the council granted themselves planning permission to extend it as such, then did the work, then have just put it out to contract for touring.

John

• Like 1

It went out to tender https://ted.europa.EU/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:474254-2019:TEXT:EN:HTML and was due back in November last.  

10 year with 10 year extension option (20 years total.  (est value £1M exc vat).

Probably not an ideal lease length for investment/payback into the facilities there? 

But seems strange that a Council with no real touring park layout planning design experience would undertake work for 27 pitches and not also re-build/refurbish the other site facilities (which from remarks by others on here would have made the tender more likely to be better contested)?

Results of the procurement process should be known fairly soon I'd have thought?

Nowt so queer as Local Government folk is there?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

On 10/01/2020 at 17:57, oldboy said:

The extension was nearly completed when I was there last June and was due to open around August/September.  I spoke to the C&CC on the phone this afternoon and was told they no longer manage the site.

I have heard that C&CC have renewed the lease on the Braithwaite Fold site at a cost of £4 million, and it will be reopening in May after being upgraded. 

On 11/01/2020 at 18:23, Rodders53 said:

Nowt so queer as Local Government folk is there?

That might be amusing except that our hard earned cash is spent by such incompetents...

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

2 hours ago, PandR said:

That might be amusing except that our hard earned cash is spent by such incompetents...

It's not your money that was spent, it was mine - I am a SLDC rate payer.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

C=cc Have recently acquired 2 other sites in Lakeland,  can somebody tell them there are other areas of the North that they should invest in.

Edited by lunarloopy

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

27 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

C=cc Have recently acquired 2 other sites in Lakeland,  can somebody tell them there are other areas of the North that they should invest in.

Totally agree LL, there are large swathes of Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Borders crying out for new sites. But they (and the other ‘club’) are not interested in providing a service that their members want - they’re just interested in areas guaranteed to provide them with big returns.

John

PS, that’s a new variation on C&CC that I hadn’t seen before 🙂

The clubs do look for new sites and the C&CC were trying to start a new site at Saltburn on the coast between Redacar and Whitby. The council have foolishly denied planning permission because of access which to me is not the problem that was made out.

Planning permission for new sites does seem to be a problem these days and may be holding back developing a lot more new sites.

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

[1] Totally agree LL, there are large swathes of Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Borders crying out for new sites.

[2] But they (and the other ‘club’) are not interested in providing a service that their members want - they’re just interested in areas guaranteed to provide them with big returns.

John

PS, that’s a new variation on C&CC that I hadn’t seen before 🙂

Can’t argue with the swathes of Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Borders crying out for new sites in point [1] but point [2]...

I can’t help but see a contradiction there.  If big returns are 'guaranteed' then the club members must actually want the service (site) providing the big returns.

Equally, if new club sites in any given area were guaranteed to provide big returns, no doubt the clubs would be investing?  Perhaps there are other considerations, not immediately evident to the membership such as identifying suitable sites that will get the required planning permissions etc.

12 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Can’t argue with the swathes of Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Borders crying out for new sites in point [1] but point [2]...

I can’t help but see a contradiction there.  If big returns are 'guaranteed' then the club members must actually want the service (site) providing the big returns.

Equally, if new club sites in any given area were guaranteed to provide big returns, no doubt the clubs would be investing?  Perhaps there are other considerations, not immediately evident to the membership such as identifying suitable sites that will get the required planning permissions etc.

It's very complicated trying to open new caravan sites within National Parks - it's much easier to take over an existing site - all caravan sites within National Parks are relatively high income/profitability due to this difficulty of competition opening new sites.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

8 hours ago, Wildwood said:

The clubs do look for new sites and the C&CC were trying to start a new site at Saltburn on the coast between Redacar and Whitby. The council have foolishly denied planning permission because of access which to me is not the problem that was made out.

Planning permission for new sites does seem to be a problem these days and may be holding back developing a lot more new sites.

They probably need to enlist the help of an experienced Planning Consultancy. Some Planning Departments recommend rejection for flimsy reasons which can sometimes be successfully challenged. Sometimes planning decisions are made for political reasons such as objections by locals. That is a bit more difficult as of course its difficult to provide evidence that the campsite will provide much employment and a bit tenuous to prove what the financial benefits will be local area which might over ride the objections.

David 

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

9 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

No contradiction there RP, as the members want want sites both in The Lakes and the areas I mentioned - and I’m sure they’d provide good returns for the Clubs in both areas.

John