Sign in to follow this  
Trev Smith

Internal Weep at Windows

Posted (edited)

We have a 2016 Elddis Affinity 550.  We bought it second hand in 2017 we have loved every minute of using it.  However, on visiting the caravan after it not being used for several months we found a slight bloom on the front shelf below the front windows.  It was strange because at the time of noticing it,  it felt dry.  However we have since noticed the slightest single water run mark on each of the three front windows.  The mark itself comes from the bottom portion of internal window seal that laps over the inside wall covering.    The bodywork of this caravan is billed as being the new all singing and dancing SOLID construction and as such it boasts to be water impregnable.  Consequently I cannot figure out how water would get to where it has done.  If anyone has come across this problem on the affinity I would appreciate any advice.  I did try to upload a photo but cannot figure how to reduce the photo size. sorry.

Edited by Trev Smith
Spelling mistake

Posted (edited)

It could be getting in through the window bar on which the front windows fasten at the top. This is held on by screws and sometimes it comes away a bit and water can get in. Provided the caravan has been serviced to maintain its warranty it should be covered  by the 10 year warranty so you should go back to the dealer.

A similar topic 

Edited by Paul1957

Yes thank you Paul for your thought on the window bar.  After leaving the van in the storage depot i came away thinking that any water getting in must be coming from above , so i got photos up of the structure of the van and did wonder if the bar was an area that could proof to be the fault.

When you next go to the caravan pull back the window rubbers on the inside so you can see if the timber within the front panel is dark in colour and damp (or even wet). If it is then the window hinge bar is the likely problem area.

On our 2018 Buccaneer the rail is bonded to the front panel and was held in place by 4 x s/s self tappers. The rail seems to come adrift at the ends which pulls on the screws and water eventually enters through the screw holes.

The nearside usually comes loose before the off-side.

We had a 2014 Buccaneer on which the rail did not leak and I am unsure how the rail was fixed on that one and am not sure which method will be used on your 2016 model either.

When you look at this design of hinge bar you can see that opening the front window just wants to pull the hinge bar away from the caravan and the more of the front windows you have open, the greater the effect.

I had leaks on two side window, during fairly heavy rain. Investigation found that the point of Ingres was at the bottom of the window, where the ends of the seals butted up to each other. Strangest of all, just cracking the windows open stopped the ingress, with no further issue even with torrential rain the next day. 

Thank you to all for the replies.  I will certainly take Volvovanner's advice and investigate signs of damp behind the rubber seal.   Although I feel I did explain where the leak was noticed I have managed to upload a photo for confirmation.

Thanks again

Trev.

20200109_151902.jpg

A tiny smear of silicon jelly (NOT vaseline which is mineral oil based and will perish the rubber) around the window seal after first cleaning it should overcome ingress through capillary action caused by dirt.

22 hours ago, Trev Smith said:

Thank you to all for the replies.  I will certainly take Volvovanner's advice and investigate signs of damp behind the rubber seal.   Although I feel I did explain where the leak was noticed I have managed to upload a photo for confirmation.

Thanks again

Trev.

20200109_151902.jpg

Pull back the rubber trim just above your finger. Is the timber (core of the front panel) dark in colour and damp? If it is how far ‘up’ the window does the damp go ie is the timber also wet along the top of the window? If it is then the window hinge bar is almost certainly the cause.