Jump to content
lazydaze

Marquis Leisure .Suffolk

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi Iam interested in a used caravan from the above company  and have arrange to view it  this Saturday , since arranging this i have looked at the reviews of this company which are fairly mixed some dreadfull some wonderful  the reviews are collective of the 12 sites across the UK not only Suffolk  please if you have any first hand dealings with them  could you reply to this post with your comments,, this will be our last caravan and i want to ensure as much as possible that they are genuine people to deal with .

Many thanks . 

Edited by lazydaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, lazydaze said:

Hi Iam interested in a used caravan from the above company  and have arrange to view it  this Saturday , since arranging this i have looked at the reviews of this company which are fairly mixed some dreadfull some wonderful  the reviews are collective of the 12 sites across the UK not only Suffolk  please if you have any first hand dealings with them  could you reply to this post with your comments,, this will be our last caravan and i want to ensure as much as possible that they are genuine people to deal with .

Many thanks . 

I was after looking at a new Motorhome as advertised on Marquis website. When I rang the Suffolk branch (my nearest) they told me that they don’t have all the manufacturers at every branch. That’s understandable.  AThe Lunar model I wanted was held in Yorkshire. I said I would go to their Yorkshire branch. What then followed were multiple annoying calls ranging from initially suggesting I pay a 10% deposit to get the vehicle brought down to Suffolk....then paying a deposit of £200 to get it brought down. I said emphatically I wasn’t going to pay anything  just to examine a vehicle and was happy? to drive to Yorkshire myself. Clearly this guy wanted to keep the sale in his hands because I had at least 4 calls (unanswered but voicemails) asking me to discuss ‘where I was with my decision’.  If I was the sort to feel pressured I would have felt very uncomfortable...as it was I was just sick of his voice.
 

My brother in law has had very poor after service on his motorhome from the Surrey Marquis dealership. Don’t know all the details but it was to do with not honouring their guarantee on a used sale.

 

edit: just remembered that the other problem my bil had was their ‘package of goodies’ advertised with the vehicle in their special offer.... was not as advertised....a 25ft ehu cable was actually only 10ft. And they refused to change it after the event because he had used it, only to check how everything worked at home.

He was really peed off because Marquis had only just taken over the dealership that he had used for years...and it seems no one cared once they had his money. A far cry from the previous owners.

 

 

Edited by ericfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our friend bought a Benimar Tessoro from Marquis in Surrey. The aftersales and servicing has been terrible from them. Communications are abysmal. The year following her purchase we went to the Marquis stand at the NEC to try and get some help for her. When the salesman from the Surrey branch caught sight of her he tried to run away. She recently had the vehicle in for its habitation check at the East Sussex branch. The offside rear lights were not working. They told her it was sorted but when she got home after dark she discovered they still were not operating. She also asked them to tighten up the galley sink tap which was loose. They did that but then knocked off a blanking plug from the sink outlet so the first time she did the washing up she finished up with the cutlery and pots and pans drawers full of soapy water. Both things I managed to sort out for her in a very short time fortunately. 

It’s a shame because in all other respects it’s a great vehicle. Mrs TD would love one if we ever go across to the dark side but with our friends experience I’d probably buy the equivalent Chausson from someone else.

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Thanks for your speedy replies these unfortunately  echo  other reviews particularly concerning after sales service with many buyers commenting that once they have made the sale they are no longer interested in you , I think the reviews were 54% good  41% bad , 5% okay ,Iam not far from this dealer and the caravan they have is what we want so I will keep my appointment bearing in mind yours and other comments and make a judgment on the day . I will let you know of the outcome,

Many Thanks for taking time to comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An acquaintance had a terrible time rejecting a caravan that had so many faults it was almost falling apart.  It took nearly 18 months to get the issue resolved and refund.  They then went to Copelands and seem to be happy with their new Bessacarr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lazydaze said:

Hi, Thanks for your speedy replies these unfortunately  echo  other reviews particularly concerning after sales service with many buyers commenting that once they have made the sale they are no longer interested in you , I think the reviews were 54% good  41% bad , 5% okay ,Iam not far from this dealer and the caravan they have is what we want so I will keep my appointment bearing in mind yours and other comments and make a judgment on the day . I will let you know of the outcome,

Many Thanks for taking time to comment.

I don't know where you are but I know where the Marquis is, probably 40 mins from us. We bought a caravan from Cranhams (Hatfield Peverel branch - 10 mins away from us) and their after service has been second to none, might be worth considering if you don't buy from Marquis.

Edited by Joe1002
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marquis Sheffield - great bunch of people who have served me very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought our caravelair from marquis Durham. We had some issues with the drainage (design fault by the manufacturer) and they even went as far as modifying the pipe work for us so can’t fault them for that.

 

The van handover was a total pain though, would only do weekdays.,.we aren’t all retired!’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame they are so hit and miss, come the day I quite fancy a Benemar but not from this chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

It's a shame they are so hit and miss, come the day I quite fancy a Benemar but not from this chain.

Unfortunately they are the sole importer I believe. Same as Caravalaire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joe1002 said:

I don't know where you are but I know where the Marquis is, probably 40 mins from us. We bought a caravan from Cranhams (Hatfield Peverel branch - 10 mins away from us) and their after service has been second to none, might be worth considering if you don't buy from Marquis.

Hi Joe , Visited   Cranham Caravans 3 days go looked at 2015 Compass  Rallye 574 twin bed layout in very good condition  but on reflection a we think a transverse bed will suit our needs better, these  are fitted in the Rallye 554, plus we would like a 2016/2017 caravan,  Cranham only give a 6 month Warranty on used Vans which  didn't instill confidence, Marquis Leisure give a 3 year warranty  but this has been criticised by many reviews as being  a selling point which fails to delivery when needed,   who to trust ? all down to research including this helpful  forum and a gut feeling when meeting the dealer and a good uninterrupted hour or so inspecting the van and service history without the salesman present, however no matter how careful it can all go tits up after the first trip out or indeed the first service , so the merry round begins  eyes peeled and fingers crossed .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may wish to view the magbaz travels website to see their and othes experience of Marquis Leisure.   They are very well travelled motorhomers and cyclists who pass on their experiences for all.

 

Click on the What was new in 2019 side tab to see the two sets of articles.

 

If the link below does not work - Google magbaz travels

 

 

http://www.magbaztravels.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lazydaze said:

Hi Joe , Visited   Cranham Caravans 3 days go looked at 2015 Compass  Rallye 574 twin bed layout in very good condition  but on reflection a we think a transverse bed will suit our needs better, these  are fitted in the Rallye 554, plus we would like a 2016/2017 caravan,  Cranham only give a 6 month Warranty on used Vans which  didn't instill confidence, Marquis Leisure give a 3 year warranty  but this has been criticised by many reviews as being  a selling point which fails to delivery when needed,   who to trust ? all down to research including this helpful  forum and a gut feeling when meeting the dealer and a good uninterrupted hour or so inspecting the van and service history without the salesman present, however no matter how careful it can all go tits up after the first trip out or indeed the first service , so the merry round begins  eyes peeled and fingers crossed .

Are you aware that the Compass is an Elddis brand and you can get the same caravan layout with a different spec in an Elddis Caravan?  Go to another Elddis dealer before deciding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2020 at 10:36, lazydaze said:

Hi, Thanks for your speedy replies these unfortunately  echo  other reviews particularly concerning after sales service with many buyers commenting that once they have made the sale they are no longer interested in you , I think the reviews were 54% good  41% bad , 5% okay ,Iam not far from this dealer and the caravan they have is what we want so I will keep my appointment bearing in mind yours and other comments and make a judgment on the day . I will let you know of the outcome,

Many Thanks for taking time to comment.

 

On 09/01/2020 at 10:36, lazydaze said:

 

Hi  My wife and I made our planned  visit to  Marquis Leisure Suffolk today to view a Compass 554, regarding the mixed reviews I wasn't very hopeful of a good experience  however we were surprised of the very welcomed reception from Steve the sales manager  and Paul the salesman  no pressure was put on us we were left alone in the caravan to inspect at our leisure and to call them if required the service history was up to date but missing the workshop sheets I question this and they traced them and had them E-mailed over for me to see the contents which caused no concern regarding any damp /repair issues only minor repairs to window blinds etc , I also asked if their technician could run a damp meter over the caravan whilst we were present they duly obliged and the readings match those of the workshop sheets  the caravan overall was pristine inside and out , plus a motor mover was also fitted , we agreed a deal and they made an appointment when to collect and advised us to allow two hours so they can have everything powered up and working and inform us stage by stage how to operate the systems , therefore we had a very positive day , I will let you know if they keep their promises and how they perform regarding hand over and collection . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2020 at 20:15, lazydaze said:

 

Hi  My wife and I made our planned  visit to  Marquis Leisure Suffolk today to view a Compass 554, regarding the mixed reviews I wasn't very hopeful of a good experience  however we were surprised of the very welcomed reception from Steve the sales manager  and Paul the salesman  no pressure was put on us we were left alone in the caravan to inspect at our leisure and to call them if required the service history was up to date but missing the workshop sheets I question this and they traced them and had them E-mailed over for me to see the contents which caused no concern regarding any damp /repair issues only minor repairs to window blinds etc , I also asked if their technician could run a damp meter over the caravan whilst we were present they duly obliged and the readings match those of the workshop sheets  the caravan overall was pristine inside and out , plus a motor mover was also fitted , we agreed a deal and they made an appointment when to collect and advised us to allow two hours so they can have everything powered up and working and inform us stage by stage how to operate the systems , therefore we had a very positive day , I will let you know if they keep their promises and how they perform regarding hand over and collection . 

Hi , We picked our new to us Compass Rallye 554  today  from Marquis Leisure  Suffolk  we had paid the balance for the caravan 3 days before and were concerned that once they had our money the hand over would be a rushed formality, how pleasantly surprise we were, the caravan was spotless it was hooked up to water and electric  the technician Gavin spent over one hour internally carefully explaining and showing us how to use all the equipment particularly the Alde heating system which was live and fired up nothing was rushed,  externally   he fitted a new number plate , fitted an extra gas hose for the auto changeover system all free of charge, on completion he asked if we were satisfied with all that was shown to us and if confident of working the systems once on site ,prior to leaving he finally  operated the motor mover and check the wheels were the correct torque ,so a very positive and relaxed handover , this continued in the office with the final paperwork / manuals / etc all correct and in order.

Therefore  the horrendous reviews I had read were not evident at this branch of Marquis  all were pleasant and  professional  , so thank you Steve the sale manager/ Paul Girder sales/ Gavin technician  for making the part exchange and purchase stress free  (well almost ) Time will tell if the caravan is a jewel or a leaker, but at this time we are very please with our purchase. and can't fault the service received.:D

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to read positive reviews-well done you-so many just use forums to moan! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lazydaze said:

Hi , We picked our new to us Compass Rallye 554  today  from Marquis Leisure  Suffolk  we had paid the balance for the caravan 3 days before and were concerned that once they had our money the hand over would be a rushed formality, how pleasantly surprise we were, the caravan was spotless it was hooked up to water and electric  the technician Gavin spent over one hour internally carefully explaining and showing us how to use all the equipment particularly the Alde heating system which was live and fired up nothing was rushed,  externally   he fitted a new number plate , fitted an extra gas hose for the auto changeover system all free of charge, on completion he asked if we were satisfied with all that was shown to us and if confident of working the systems once on site ,prior to leaving he finally  operated the motor mover and check the wheels were the correct torque ,so a very positive and relaxed handover , this continued in the office with the final paperwork / manuals / etc all correct and in order.

Therefore  the horrendous reviews I had read were not evident at this branch of Marquis  all were pleasant and  professional  , so thank you Steve the sale manager/ Paul Girder sales/ Gavin technician  for making the part exchange and purchase stress free  (well almost ) Time will tell if the caravan is a jewel or a leaker, but at this time we are very please with our purchase. and can't fault the service received.:D

 

 

 

Very glad to hear it and thanks for coming back to complete your post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...