Sign in to follow this  
Edde

Help with ideas for 6 seat heavy tow cars

BMW X5 7 seater?

23 hours ago, DACS said:

Here is another vote for the Ssangyong Turismo.   The ELX comes with part-time 4WD which is useful is you need to tow a caravan on or off a muddy field.

I do like this option they are cheap particularly the base not 4x4 ones but even top spec are very well priced and they powerful enough and big cars space wise without being a van. What's yours like to tow? I know your caravan is 1500kg I think but you don't hear much about the turismo review wise. What is the ride and mpg like? 

Cheers

19 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Mercedes GL Class? Big, seven seats, 4wd,seem to be round about the same prices used as Discoveries. 

As you say same sort of price as a discovery but your still looking at a complex expensive £25k 5 Yr old 100k car. That scares me and if I was happy with the risk of an older expensive car I'd want a discovery instead as I some reason want one. I know that doesn't make much sence

18 hours ago, Townie said:

I've yet to meet anybody who criticises its abilities as a tow car. When they first came out there was a huge amount of "badge snobbery" about them. As I've said, as a tow car I'm sure that you'd be more than happy with one, it's the third row of seats which I think you'd struggle with.

It's a good half way between the looks of a turismo and a new rexton but reviews like the first one here put me off. I agree all new unheard of in the UK which shake things up get a fear attached to them but I like the idea of something different. Thanks for the review will have to give it a proper look. The Ssangyong dealer nearest to us was superb when we went to look, so refreshing and open accepting we weren't local so servicing away from them but keeping warently was fine. This attitude only made me want one more. 

https://towcar.info/GB/reviews.php?merk=Ssangyong&serie=Rexton

As I said, I looked long and hard at the Turismo about 18 months ago. If you want six plus good sized seats plus reasonable luggage space, it's that or a van based vehicle, ie I 800,Caravelle etc. Towing limit is, I believe, about 2700kg.Had a go in a Rexton W more recently and must say it felt nicer to drive. Have always found Ssangyong dealers to be very helpful yet very laid back and happy to let you make your own mind up. Last year one of my sons hired a Mercedes Vito or V Class MPV for a family trip to Italy. That could be another possibility, a bit more car like than the VW. No doubt similarly expensive though. 

As you want to spend less this is bang on the cash;

https://www.rrg-group.com/select/used-cars/10743584-mercedes-benz-r-class-3.0-td-r350-l-cdi-blue-f-7st-5-dr-mpv/

They are supremely comfortable and capable, heavy to drive but more than up to towing a 2000kg van.

A bit different too. Put a few quid aside for the odd large bill and it’s job jobbed

Perhaps the Sorrento had its drivers seat on maximum height adjustment?

If it was, it would lower down quite a bit.

On 09/01/2020 at 11:27, Edde said:

After some ideas / options. 

We need a 6 proper seat car (2 adults, 2 grandparents, 2 kids. To tow a caravan of 1800 kg. Has to be high up seating ie 4x4 mpv type. 

Newish (upto say 3 yrs but would have to be cheaper to be older) 

Budget upto 30k top but that's for almost new but would like to be much lower. 

Discounted a kia sportarge and the Hyundai similar model as was too small drivers seat for my wife and I.  Ford Galaxy deemed as to small in boot seats. Transit type minibus is a no. 

Ideas

I800 - I like this but its my wife's car and a bus which she doesn't like but easily the biggest space car even with 6 up its got a real boot. Heavy so towing weight is good. However would have to be manual and new models are a bit low on power for manuals.  However it's very cheap for a few year old vs say a new rexton and a 10k difference is a lot of money

Discovery 4 - wife and I love it but reliability scares me silly. 

New SsangYong rexton - expensive but heavy and powerful. 

Seat Alhambra - a bit light weight for a big caravan but seen reviews saying it's fine. Has isofix in boot seats which is a big plus for us for the kids. 

Shogun sport - not a great towing car reviews and no cheaper than a rexton which got good reviews. 

Will obviously have to get B + E done 

Any other ideas or views anyone? 

I brought a new Nissan Pathfinder in 2018, a very good car 7 seater , heaps of room , a good weight and heaps of power. Petrol though not sure if they do a diesel if thats what you want. It would tow that weight easily. 

13 minutes ago, James Donald said:

I brought a new Nissan Pathfinder in 2018, a very good car 7 seater , heaps of room , a good weight and heaps of power. Petrol though not sure if they do a diesel if thats what you want. It would tow that weight easily. 

I have had two new Nissan Pathfinders in 2500cc Diesel. My current one a 2011 with seven seats tows my 2000kg Buccaneer effortlessly. Very reliable, just a shame they stopped producing them in 2014.   Try finding a good low mileage example ?

3 hours ago, Edde said:

I do like this option they are cheap particularly the base not 4x4 ones but even top spec are very well priced and they powerful enough and big cars space wise without being a van. What's yours like to tow? I know your caravan is 1500kg I think but you don't hear much about the turismo review wise. What is the ride and mpg like? 

I find that the Turismo tows our caravan well enough.  My previous car was a Discovery 3 and the Turismo seems to have similar performance.   You are more aware that the engine is working hard in the Turismo whereas the Discovery seemed more effortless but  I think that it is probably just due to more soundproofing in the Discovery.

The ride is not as good as the Discovery which I find  acceptable although my wife is not so keen.

I do not check the fuel consumption very carefully but estimate that I get about 35 mpg solo and 25 mpg towing the caravan.

Mercedes Vito? Up to 9 seats which you can mix and match in various combinations. All rear seats have ISO fixings.

Cheers

Keith