Sign in to follow this  
Edde

Help with ideas for 6 seat heavy tow cars

After some ideas / options. 

We need a 6 proper seat car (2 adults, 2 grandparents, 2 kids. To tow a caravan of 1800 kg. Has to be high up seating ie 4x4 mpv type. 

Newish (upto say 3 yrs but would have to be cheaper to be older) 

Budget upto 30k top but that's for almost new but would like to be much lower. 

Discounted a kia sportarge and the Hyundai similar model as was too small drivers seat for my wife and I.  Ford Galaxy deemed as to small in boot seats. Transit type minibus is a no. 

Ideas

I800 - I like this but its my wife's car and a bus which she doesn't like but easily the biggest space car even with 6 up its got a real boot. Heavy so towing weight is good. However would have to be manual and new models are a bit low on power for manuals.  However it's very cheap for a few year old vs say a new rexton and a 10k difference is a lot of money

Discovery 4 - wife and I love it but reliability scares me silly. 

New SsangYong rexton - expensive but heavy and powerful. 

Seat Alhambra - a bit light weight for a big caravan but seen reviews saying it's fine. Has isofix in boot seats which is a big plus for us for the kids. 

Shogun sport - not a great towing car reviews and no cheaper than a rexton which got good reviews. 

Will obviously have to get B + E done 

Any other ideas or views anyone? 

Posted (edited)

D4 with a decent warranty like Warranty Direct, but I'm biased.

Volvo XC90.

Audi Q7.

Toyota Land Cruiser.

Mitsubishi Shogun.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Have you looked at the Ssangyong Turismo? Even a brand new one in top 4x4 ELX spec would be well in budget. Had a go in one a while back. It's a bit of a funnyosity and the interior layout wouldn't have worked for us but might be ok for some. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

The Rexton really is a serious contender if you can stretch to it.  If you can't,  I got a 2 year old one ( 2017 ) in perfect condition still with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty for 17K 

What is wrong with testing a Sorento. 7 seats. 200 bhp. And 30 k will get you a nearly new with 5 or 6 years warranty left. 

• Like 2

Definitely look at the Sorento/SanteFe. We ran a 2014 KX2 Auto. Other than a radio aerial it was truly faultless for 60k miles. Comfortable and roomy even with one of the 3rd Row seats in use. Self levelling rear suspension and the reversing camera made hitching up a doddle. Reasonably economical too, towing and solo. 

Once my current vehicle comes to the end of its contract and I slip into retirement  I will be buying one.

• Like 2

I have a full sized Shogun, 3.2 Diesel Auto, 7 seats, can tow 3500 Kg, very happy with it (just take a big wallet to the petrol station).

VW Transporters are good.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/new-vehicles/transporter-shuttle.html

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/new-vehicles/caravelle.html

Ford S-max?

• +1 1

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Definitely look at the Sorento/SanteFe. We ran a 2014 KX2 Auto. Other than a radio aerial it was truly faultless for 60k miles. Comfortable and roomy even with one of the 3rd Row seats in use. Self levelling rear suspension and the reversing camera made hitching up a doddle. Reasonably economical too, towing and solo. 

Once my current vehicle comes to the end of its contract and I slip into retirement  I will be buying one.

Just ordered our 3rd Santa Fe which will be delivered with 20 plate in March.

Ticks all our boxes but if the seats are too small for the OP and his wife then clearly a non starter.  To be honest not at all sure many cars have larger seats but I'm no expert in car seats! 

I would have thought the Kia Sorento would have slightly bigger seats than the Sportage, so may be OK for OP and his wife.

I would certainly recommend the Sorento, its a superb towcar.

Don’t forget that any 7 seat MPV/SUV will have precious little boot space when the rear seat is in use, so that would mean more being carried in the van with possible weight issues.

Volvo XC90 Auto - super comfortable - tows like a dream - burns a lot of fuel.

We went to buy a Kia Sorento/Santa Fe, my wife sat in one and said "this is not very comfortable" the sales man said if it's comfort you want try this - Volvo XC90 . My wife said "Soooo comfortable". We bought one.

Alan

The Sorento is much bigger inside and out than the sportage.  Next door have a matching pair of Sportage that I travel in frequently. They are good but not anywhere near as roomy in the seat department.   If it’s elbow room you want that is. 

We had aSorento kx2 before our current Santa Fe. Both 7 seat, although only used a couple of times to go out with neighbours.

There is little boot space with the third row up, probably same in all 7 seaters.

They share the same floorpan and mechanical bits. Powerful, economical and reliable.

Very good warranties too.

We looked at LR which I like, but value for money and reliability is a no brainer!

• Like 1

Santa Fe/ Sorento ,if you want a Disco 4 go for it and get a decent warranty.

Too many people spend their whole budget on a fancy car and leave nothing for running costs. 

We looked at a Disco 3 when shortlisting cars but the huge contract hire difference between the LR and the RAV4, CRV,Kia, Hyundai and Mitsubishi we were considering was a major factor. After test driving I felt that unless you regularly needed serious off road capability the LR had little over the Kia as an everyday car. Certainly we found the Kia more comfortable.  Also didn’t like the snotty attitude of the salesmen in the LR dealership but that’s another matter....

You did ask for other ideas and from your profile you do not yet have an 1800 kg caravan, having now an Astra car and a Sheraton caravan.  There are many caravans less than 1800 kg that are 6 berth that you could consider if you are not yet settled on a particular caravan and if one is chosen would improve your choice of car. If the grand parents drive you could always use 2 cars so a 6 seater might not be essential.

Here is another vote for the Ssangyong Turismo.  You get a lot of car for your money!  It can tow up to 1,850 Kg.  It has seven full-size seats and still has space for luggage when all seats are in use (unlike the Land Rover Discovery).  The ELX comes with part-time 4WD which is useful is you need to tow a caravan on or off a muddy field.

I've got a Rexton which you mention. Can I suggest that you check the third row of seats as I think they would only be of any use for quite young children, and certainly NOT for adults. That said, ours is now 5 years old and it tows brilliantly, (1450kg caravan), has masses of room and I'll quite happily drive it until it falls apart. (Not for quite a few years yet, fingers crossed!)

Maybe the Turismo would be a better choice as I believe the third row of seats are more "adult friendly".

8 minutes ago, Townie said:

I've got a Rexton which you mention. Can I suggest that you check the third row of seats as I think they would only be of any use for quite young children, and certainly NOT for adults. That said, ours is now 5 years old and it tows brilliantly, (1450kg caravan), has masses of room and I'll quite happily drive it until it falls apart. (Not for quite a few years yet, fingers crossed!)

Maybe the Turismo would be a better choice as I believe the third row of seats are more "adult friendly".

Same thing applies to the Santa Fee.

11 minutes ago, Townie said:

That's a good check for any 3-row car - virtually all 7-seaters on sale are 5+2 at best but many are 4+3 in the sense you can't get three adults across the 2nd row, only 2 adults and a child.

I don't think it has been mentioned but out VW Caravelle is a genuine 7 seater, although we do tend to remove two single middle seats when not needed. Also the single seats swivel and have inbuilt child "booster", as has the middle of the rear bench seat. All belts integrated into the seats which can be slid to increase boot space.

Excellent towcar, but expensive to purchase new. 3-4 year old models would be within OPs price range.

Recommend the 150hp DSG engine/gearbox for a relaxing drive.

The Transporter range offers a wide variety of passenger options.

18 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Have you looked at the Ssangyong Turismo? 

Looked at it but it's so err unique my wife wasn't a fan I like it though forfills a lot of requirements. Had forgot to mention it. 

17 hours ago, Robbido said:

The Rexton really is a serious contender if you can stretch to it.  If you can't,  I got a 2 year old one ( 2017 ) in perfect condition still with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty for 17K 

The older model which I guess you have are very well priced but I heard they aren't great towers what your option on it? 

17 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

What is wrong with testing a Sorento

We tried sitting in one and the drivers seat was just too small for me (6' 6). Maybe we need to have a look see if that one being top spec had less headroom. 

10 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Ford S-max?

Smaller than a galaxy did look at one though. 

9 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Don’t forget that any 7 seat MPV/SUV will have precious little boot space when the rear seat is in use, so that would mean more being carried in the van with possible weight issues.

This is why if / when we get the ***** caravan I want it up plated to the max. Boot space is an issue on all 7 seaters it's shocking really. 

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

There are many caravans less than 1800 kg that are 6 berth that you could consider if you are not yet settled on a particular caravan and if one is chosen would improve your choice of car. If the grand parents drive you could always use 2 cars so a 6 seater might not be essential.

I agree, but we like a I forget the name caravan which is 1650 but we would have it up plated to the max to keep things legal as I bet few are legal with all the stuff we put in them. 

The idea of two cars does make scense but removing the 6 seats from the requirements isn't an option. 

If we did go for a smaller caravan I think the alhambra would be the best option. 

3 hours ago, Townie said:

I've got a Rexton which you mention. 

Thanks for the review on your rexton the model you had I did look at but reviews as a tow car weren't great. The model we looked at was the new one which seemed big enough. 

3 hours ago, CliveB said:

I don't think it has been mentioned but out VW Caravelle

Excellent towcar, but expensive to purchase new. 3-4 year old models would be within OPs price range.

The transporter is a good option but as you say pricy and its a bus which my wife isn't to keen on if she accepts a bus then the I800 is a lot cheaper. 

Thanks for everyones advise its a difficult answer I think spending more is the only option

Mercedes GL Class? Big, seven seats, 4wd,seem to be round about the same prices used as Discoveries. 

Posted (edited)

Like others, I'd recommend a look at a Sorento/Santa Fe.  The middle row of seats slide forwards/backwards so you can make a little more leg room in row three than you'd otherwise get.  And there is a separate aircon control/outlets for row 3.

Edited to add: I see you've concerns about headroom.  The kx3 and kx4 have a sunroof.  The kx2 does not.   I don't know if that makes any difference.

Edited by Will deBeast

58 minutes ago, Edde said:

Thanks for the review on your rexton the model you had I did look at but reviews as a tow car weren't great. The model we looked at was the new one which seemed big enough. 

Mine is the first model of the Rexton W, which is the first one with the SsangYong engine, (as opposed to the older Mercedes engine). It's "only" a 2 litre, (the newer models have 2.2 litre engines). I've yet to meet anybody who criticises its abilities as a tow car. When they first came out there was a huge amount of "badge snobbery" about them, (like Skodas when they were first released and the Dacia range today), with people criticising them without ever even seeing one. As I've said, as a tow car I'm sure that you'd be more than happy with one, it's the third row of seats which I think you'd struggle with.