Sign in to follow this  
Griff

Twin axle wheel locks, one or two,.

Posted (edited)

Just reviewing insurance and security for our new twin axle.

On the subject of one or two Alko wheel locks on a twin axle, from a fitting convenience point of view, are TA owners fitting just one as I currently do or two with the associated inconvenience, insurers permitting of course.

Our current insurer only requires one to be fitted but looking at some others they require two as does the Caravan and Motorhome Club insurance it seems.

Lock n Level is a supposedly simple but expensive solution to the fitting of two locks, anyone just trolley jacking?

Edited by Griff
Typo.

We have a Bucanneer so were provided with 2-i suppose if you only fit one a crim could simply let down the tyre on that one and let it roll on the other? Others will know more about that and one is easier to remove than 2! Our philosophy is the more locks the better. HOWEVER even with the ep levelling I do find the alko diamond locks a total pain to fit-lock and level is no different really. They scratch the alloy if there is any grit around so have put tape and pads scattered on the lock to try to prevent this but we are considering moving to the nemesis locks that were so much easier to fit! 

Posted (edited)

I have changed from  the Alko to 2 nemesis  locks,less messing about trying to get the receivers  lined up on the second axle .

My insurance says 1 hitch and 1 wheel lock .I fit two wheel locks and a hitch it's that quick. 

See what you insures want.

I purchased two second hand ones complete for about £80 each 

Mike

20200108_105049.jpg

Edited by outnumbered
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

I fit 1 Alko and 1 nemesis lock

I have the option of which wheel which fits as I have 2 of the wheel nuts one in each wheel.

its always easy to line up one lock, I don't get the discount for Alko locks fitted just a normal wheel clamp discount but it makes no difference as I already get max discount for all the other safety items like ATC, alarm cassoa gold storage, hitch lock.   you only every get so much% discount so it was pointless, a bit like the tracker that was over a £100 per year when the price of the insurance didn't change as it was already at max discount%

Danny

Hi we are at present with the caravan club and have to fit the two wheel locks but they have said we can put one on the other side instead as long as we have got 2on they are ok with this and yes if we fit both on one side we use a trolley jack

Regards paul

Ditched the AlKo locks sold them and bought two SAS wheel clamps. Negligible increase in premium and take seconds to fit ( and probably cut off!)   Can be fitted to either  side for max visual deterrent too when the awning is on. 

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Can be fitted to either  side for max visual deterrent too when the awning is on. 

Or it will tell them what you have so that they can be prepared...

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, AndersG said:

Or it will tell them what you have so that they can be prepared...

They’ll be prepared for any eventuality anyway. They would see them as soon as they knife the awning off and pull out the draught  skirt. I’m not naive enough to think anything I fit to my van is going to stop the nomadic parasites when on site. If they want it, they’ll take it. In storage it’s a different matter 😈☠️

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

First thing I will do is to see if my trolley jack will fit between the wheels on to somewhere solid.

Got a 4WD mover on so don't know if I will be able to access something solid from the back or front with my trolley jack.

Wasn't too bothered fitting two towards the end of our previous caravan as it was 11 years old  and Towergate only required one.

Caravan Club insurance (good price) are stating two Alko's whilst in storage, one plus some other form of wheel lock whilst touring.

Caravan came with a pair of Alko's. 

I managed to get one of these, you only need to be able to  thread the bolt between the wheel spokes, luckily mine are only 5 spoke so the gap is pretty wide, insurance accepted it instead of two alko locks.

twin lock.jpg

4 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

They’ll be prepared for any eventuality anyway. They would see them as soon as they knife the awning off and pull out the draught  skirt. I’m not naive enough to think anything I fit to my van is going to stop the nomadic parasites when on site. If they want it, they’ll take it. In storage it’s a different matter 😈☠️

Thefts from sites are far more rare than storage, particularly none CASSOA storage, according to figures published by the C&CC some time back. The idea that thieves will take on any device fitted is not totally true, unless they have a very good reason for choosing yours. Essentially they are opportunists and given a choice will go for the easiest option so better protection may be the difference between yours and your neighbour's but there are no rules.

On site there tends to be other people about so stealing a caravan is far more risky particularly as those people will often know who is in what. Personally I would not put the locks in the awning but outside so anyone interfering with them should be obvious but again it does give the thieves the chance to see what they have to deal with more easily.

On 08/01/2020 at 12:57, snowman said:

Hi we are at present with the caravan club and have to fit the two wheel locks but they have said we can put one on the other side instead as long as we have got 2on they are ok with this and yes if we fit both on one side we use a trolley jack

Regards paul

Hi.

After jacking with the trolley jack, fitting the second Alko and lowering, does the wheel try to rotate at all as it settles?

Just wondering that if it does it might need the trolley to raise it again to relieve the pressure on the Alko  in order to remove it.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Hi.

After jacking with the trolley jack, fitting the second Alko and lowering, does the wheel try to rotate at all as it settles?

Just wondering that if it does it might need the trolley to raise it again to relieve the pressure on the Alko  in order to remove it.

Even on my single axled caravan, if I have to jack it up to align the receiver (as I do at home as the hitch is on a solid steel post so can't move), I never fit the lock before the wheel is back and settled on the ground as it rotates approx 3".

I have got used to just guesstimating how much past the correct alignment the wheel needs to be, then when it is lowered it falls in line to take the lozenger and lock.

• Thanks 1

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:48, outnumbered said:

I have changed from  the Alko to 2 nemesis  locks,less messing about trying to get the receivers  lined up on the second axle .

My insurance says 1 hitch and 1 wheel lock .I fit two wheel locks and a hitch it's that quick. 

See what you insures want.

I purchased two second hand ones complete for about £80 each 

Mike

20200108_105049.jpg

+1

Easy to use and lightweight-4 minutes in total to fit both locks!

I insured ours on the basis of only have a hitchlock and paying a little bit extra for no wheel locks.  In reality I fit a couple of Milenco Wraiths, which like the Nemesis locks are easy to fit.

20200109_165202.jpg

Thanks men.