Sign in to follow this  
Fraczish

Pegasus GT65 known issues/things to look for?

Good evening everyone,

After much dealer window shopping, we have settled on a Pegasus GT65 Verona. 2013-2015 models. 

Ticks almost every box for us. 

There seem to be quite a few around so we will have to put the miles in to find the "One"...

So looking to get an idea of things that are known or issues that I should be on the  look out for? 

For example I've noticed these can have a panel on the lower front and rear that has a seal across it, 2 of the 3 I saw today the seal was perishing and didn't look at all waterproof. Is this a huge issue? I'd assume that the front  body panel continued under the  applied panel so wouldn't be an water ingress issue?

Would also be good to hear from current or previous owners of there experiences with this van too. 

Thanks in advance as always!

Hi we have a 2014 GT 65 Pegasus Rimini. We a very happy after exactly one yr it has been a really good purchase. I have fitted an onboard tank and a 160w Solar Panel along with motor movers.  Nothing major has given us trouble at all. We had 3 months away in it last year and enjoyed every minute. The only small complaint is with the Whale heating in the cold weather , it seems to be a bit lacking in the output in the front half of the Caravan? I close the outlet in the bathroom of all together and the rear one I about half close and this then increases the volume up front while we are sitting in that area. Otherwise we are very happy with all the rest of the Whale equipment. It tows well , brakes are good , weight really no trouble , can be upset a bit by heavy vehicles when I pass them ! May replace ours with a Unicorn Vigo a couple of yrs newer but not because we don't like it. Have fun I love buying things especially Caravans, cars and boats !!!

Thanks James that's really helpful! 

So when you say you've had a tank fitted is that for hot water? Id have thought a van of this age would have one already? Or am I missing something here? (Quite probable!)

51 minutes ago, James Donald said:

The only small complaint is with the Whale heating in the cold weather , it seems to be a bit lacking in the output in the front half of the Caravan? 

This was a concern of mine I have to say, in our current Van we have blown air heating and it's useless. As we do like to holiday out of season it is a worry.

Bit newer than you are looking at but we had a 2017 Verona-absolutely lovely caravan. NO issues with keeping warm on the Truma heating in the middle of the winter-bathroom at the end of the air pipe run was a bit colder than the rest but we could easily be too warm-and we always shower in our own van too.

Only criticism was the awning chanel had silicone sealant in it and there was a lot of excess around-but better safe than sorry! only faults we had were the thetford loo cassette leaking-warranty, fridge handle spring broke-easy diy fix and a tap chrome delaminated-none of which were Bailey faults of course!  The water pump was beinning to creep out of its housing on use and may have needed a new door that traps it when we sold it but it never came out.

You don't get an onboard water tank or solar panel but we simply used an external one.(both)

Re the front panels the lower bit is purely cosmetic-under that there is the main body of the caravan so many people simply remove that daft seal that moves and stains, some then leave it and some use sealant. 

Some of the issus with blown heating are because the ducting goes underneath the van.  This is to get past the door. The ducting is not particularly well insulated.

We had the same issue with a Pegasus 534. I fitted extra insulation to it, information was obtained from helpful people on this forum.

A search should find it.

The insulation was bought online and fitted with cable ties and duct tape. Bit of a fiddle under the van but doable.

We bought a GT65 Verona new in 2014. Had all 3 front blinds and one of the roof blinds replaced. This was because some of the screw heads on the blind units were slightly proud and after some time, with opening and closing the blinds small holes appeared. The replacement blinds had countersunk screws so the problem did not reoccur.

When the sun shon on the van door the lock would not operate and we could not get into the van. Had to climb through the locker under the fixed bed to open the doorfrom the inside. This is apparently a known problem and easily fixed.

At the 3rd service damp was found around the near side wheel arch. The dealed said the problem occured due to the screws used to fix the mud flaps not being sealed properly.

All the above problems were sorted under warranty.

I agree with the above posts about the blown air heating not really warming the front of the van due to the lack of outlets at the front seating area. I insulated all the pipes inside and outside the van to try to improve the heating. It did work to some extent. The other issue with the heating is the noise from the heater itself that is right under the fixed bed. If the heating was left on overnight it used to wake us up as it sounded like a jet engine:)

The awning rail is very tight at the top rear of the van where a full awning has to feed through the rail at almost a right angle.

Apart from these issues it was a good van.

• Like 1

We have a Pegasus Gt65 Verona 2014, check the floor underneath the van especially behind the wheel arches for damp, we have had part of the floor renewed both sides under warranty 

• Like 1

We have a 2013-2014 GT65 Bologna and it has been brilliant. Its a twin axle and tows very well. As far as the whale heating goes, just be patient and it will heat the whole van. You can also put the heating on a timer so that the van is toasty when you get back to it. I managed to rip the marker light off of the front when putting up the awning but that was because of my heavy handedness in pulling it through the rail. All in all this has been my best van and I cant wait to take it out again. 

• Like 1

We have a 2015 GT65 Verona.  Usual stuff under warranty including middle window pain rub (not returned) external wet floor to rear of wheel arch on both sides. But you know it’s a cracking van even with the jet engine under the bed (when on gas) it tows a dream. I don’t think we will be changing anytime soon. (Did consider PX for a black edition unicorn Valencia) 

I took out the extra 3 year internal/ mechanical warranty and as yet not used it! 

Yes it it does suffer from the initial cold to warm problem at the front, so we carry a small 2kw blow heater to equal the heat out within the van between October and April (only any good with EHU) 

We caravan  all year around and find it great once it gets to temperature  

Water heater can suffer from Wind blow out when on gas if the prevalent wind is side on to the heater vent. Again only when off grid as you would use the 750w when hooked up. 

Anyway enough from me. 

Its a great spec caravan with plenty to offer. In my opinion. 

Scott 

Hi Fraczish, I fitted an onboard tank for cold water to save having to travel with the empty Aqaroll ! I now fill the45 liter tank which gives us water immediately we stop on the way or first night. I then fill the roll when it suits me . Yes adds a bit of weight but we don't have all that worry in my country or towcar worries we all use big cars mainly. Obviously the hot water is looked after by the Whale system.

Really appreciate all the comments and views guys, very useful indeed!