Sign in to follow this  
Cherokee2015

Bad news from Swift

Always sad when hear such news. I suppose on the bright side it is a relatively small number of people involved. It will be interesting to see the end of year NCC figures for sales of caravans and motorhomes. It just seems there is a lot of uncertainty around at the moment that might impact on our hobby and its not just from one source. 

David

Posted (edited)

Interesting they blame the increase VED and sales ?

My dealer that is a Swift MH agent has stopped selling all new motorhomes on secondhand now . 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Very sad for those involved, who's next ?

Very bad news for those affected. Would I be right in thinking that it’s more the campervans side of the business suffering as a result of the increased VED charges?

I would have thought that if someone can afford the price of a new motor home , a couple of thousand more on tax wont make a lot of difference .  My thoughts are that the caravan makers are spending too much of their profits on repairs on warantees instead of making sure that their vans are fit for purpose in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • +1 5

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, joanie said:

I would have thought that if someone can afford the price of a new motor home , a couple of thousand more on tax wont make a lot of difference .  My thoughts are that the caravan makers are spending too much of their profits on repairs on warantees instead of making sure that their vans are fit for purpose in the first place. 

I know someone that has bought one of the last new Swift motorhomes to beat the VED while they can and it is effecting the businesses . It's about 4500 pounds over the first 5 years .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)

the way that I understand it is that it can cost up to  £2135 for the first year and £140 thereafter,  so  the  5 year would cost  £2695 maximum,  (not including any further price increase  ). It's only the first year that  there would be  the big  increase. 

Edited by joanie

25 minutes ago, joanie said:

the way that I understand it is that it can cost up to  £2135 for the first year and £140 thereafter,  so  the  5 year would cost  £2695 maximum,  (not including any further price increase  ). It's only the first year that  there would be  the big  increase. 

You may understand wrong.  https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables  £320 extra per annum (£1600  extra over the 6 years total), for over £40k list price vehicles with petrol/diesel engines.  Are many motorhomes under £40k list? 

Our 'new to us' towcar costs £465 in VED because it was >£40k list when new (not that we paid anywhere near that much)  ...  Mind the old Galaxy was £300 VED anyway.  I believe my 5 years of extra is clocked from when we paid the VED in November so only four more?

48 minutes ago, joanie said:

First 5 years for any vehicle over £40,000 list price.

Posted (edited)

https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/new-road-tax-ved-for-campervans-motorhomes/

I see that there is an extra payment of £320 per year for motor homes over £40k for the next 5 years, before it reduces to £145

I still don't think that would stop someone buying a large motor home and also I don't think that is what has made Swift shut down a factory. 

Edited by joanie
  • +1 1

43 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

First 5 years for any vehicle over £40,000 list price.

Next five years from the <first registration and 12 months VED payment> - AIUI...  see my link to .gov site. 

So SIX years of extra cash to the Govt. just because of  a price list value.

43 minutes ago, joanie said:

https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/new-road-tax-ved-for-campervans-motorhomes/

I see that there is an extra payment of £320 per year for motor homes over £40k for the next 5 years, before it reduces to £145

I still don't think that would stop someone buying a large motor home and also I don't think that is what has made Swift shut down a factory. 

I think it probably created some extra enthusiasm in the run up to the change and therefore a lull after (as those people had already bought) but the impact will fade over time.

It’s not the real reason

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I think it probably created some extra enthusiasm in the run up to the change and therefore a lull after (as those people had already bought) but the impact will fade over time.

It’s not the real reason

Go on say that B word , you know you want to. Haha 

4 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Go on say that B word , you know you want to. Haha 

It might be, I don’t really know whether it is though.

Car sales are down (at all price points not just over £40k), Motorhomes the same (surely an even greater discretionary spend than a new car) and that may be just a general contraction in growth after a period of significant growth driven by incredibly low interest rates - perhaps we have simply passed ‘peak purchase’.

Diesel car sales are down by half, from over 50% of total car sales to about 25% - the backlash against diesel is bound to have an effect on motorhomes, mostly diesel-powered.

Sadly ALL diesels have been demonised when it’s the earlier, and non, Euro classified ones that are the real problem. The Euro 5/6 diesels are very clean. 

Its our Government “virtue signalling” rather than pressurising the much larger countries, who are huge polluters (China America Indonesia India etc) to take SOME FORM action to reduce THEIR outputs.

My view is that Diesel engines cars will start getting their initial years of VED hiked up in order to deter new sales whilst NOT penalising those who already have them and are not in a financial position to simply replace them with a new petrol engine.

Me?? I’m sticking with diesel for the foreseeable future as it offers me the best option for towing allied to good fuel consumption. 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • +1 1

Us too Andy; burning any fossil fuel-not ideal. Petrol for us for fun and everyday use, diesel for towing.

57 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Sadly ALL diesels have been demonised when it’s the earlier, and non, Euro classified ones that are the real problem. The Euro 5/6 diesels are very clean. 

Its our Government “virtue signalling” rather than pressurising the much larger countries, who are huge polluters (China America Indonesia India etc) to take SOME FORM action to reduce THEIR outputs.

My view is that Diesel engines cars will start getting their initial years of VED hiked up in order to deter new sales whilst NOT penalising those who already have them and are not in a financial position to simply replace them with a new petrol engine.

Me?? I’m sticking with diesel for the foreseeable future as it offers me the best option for towing allied to good fuel consumption. 

Andy 

An increase in VED isn't needed to deter new sales of diesels, it's dropping like a stone - that won't stop any government though - my plan is for my present diesel to see me out so I'll not be changing to petrol.

I recently looked seriously at the idea of buying an older EV just for shorter trips but the saving on fuel cost would be swallowed by additional insurance, MoT and breakdown cover - to say nothing of the capital cost and the risk of battery failure out of warranty - that risk is low but the cost is eye-watering.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy 

+1.

Mine turns 10yrs old in March, I've had it since 2012 and its now done 80k miles.

It's one of the only options for safely pulling a 2000kg van and so I'm keeping it. (could not afford a more modern replacement anyway)

I'm 67 and I hope it'll see out my towing days at the current 7500 miles per year.

Then like ageing Dinosaurs we'll both pack up and I'll stick the van on a semi perm in Cornwall, already chosen.

Lots to look forward to.:beardy:

Posted (edited)

The problem may well lie with the uncertainty of owning such a large expensive vehicle in a world where emissions rules are becoming ever more Draconian.

I can buy a new diesel car and probably live with the consequences of it being emissions obsolete in 8 years against maybe owning it for 12 or 14 years.

But if I spend £100k on a motorhome which is then of little value due to changing rules then I couldn't live with that!

Friends of ours bought a motorhome over £125k and it's Euro 5. Soon they will need to pay in excess of a £100 to drive it in / out of the South Circular.

These are big investments with the potential for huge losses...

Edited by PandR
  • Like 1

I had a close call buying my Audi Q5. Dealer charged me £465 in car tax. A quick check revealed the car new had a list price of £39980 so still qualifies for VED at £145. Took them 9 weeks to repay the extra VED though!

Dealers = Stealers!!!!