SimonM

Damp VIP 575

My 2019 VIP  575 has just had its first service and damp was found in the lower offside wall. The technician believes damp has got in through the awning channel. It is now booked in with the dealer to have the damp sorted out. 

This  is my eighth ‘van in nearly 40 years of caravanning and this is the first time I have had damp in any of my ‘vans. 

It is so disappointing when you buy a new ‘van for a significant amount of money and damp is found when it is only 12 months old! 

Commiserations. Just had ours sorted after miss fired screw punctured the omnivent upper casing allowing water in......took 2yrs+ before it became visible.

I suspect yours will also be a manufacturing fault.

20191219_142710.jpg

Well that's cheered me up no end - I've  just booked my 2019   545 in for its first service.

Seriously I do hope yours gets sorted properly and quickly Simon.

One comment though.  I read on another forum that an owner with a 2018 575 had damp and was told that ingress can't occur via the awning rail alone as it sits over a bonded seam.   Please keep us posted.

7 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

Well that's cheered me up no end - I've  just booked my 2019   545 in for its first service.

Seriously I do hope yours gets sorted properly and quickly Simon.

One comment though.  I read on another forum that an owner with a 2018 575 had damp and was told that ingress can't occur via the awning rail alone as it sits over a bonded seam.   Please keep us posted.

They are bonded, in the main, but they do clip on in places and these clips could be a source of water ingress if the bonding/sealing hasn’t been done comprehensively. I took this photo on the Factory Tour last Sept.

4A8ED54D-E8B0-4433-A1E5-70532919716D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Our 2011 Elddis caravan had damp at about 3 years old at the front top right and that was fixed under warranty by replacing the awning rail as well as the damaged wood but the construction method was probably different to your caravan being pre Solid and other more recent methods.

Edited by Paul1957

16 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

I read on another forum that an owner with a 2018 575 had damp and was told that ingress can't occur via the awning rail alone as it sits over a bonded seam.   Please keep us posted.

I wouldn't take notice of this comment, a caravan can leak where ever there is a join, just depends on how well it was sealed at the factory

• +1 2

Where the "technician believes" the leak is is almost irrelevant! It is merely the starting point for the investigation that has to precede the fix.

• +1 1

That's a useful photo Glen.   Awning rail not just "stuck" on then.

Stevan - fair comment but  "via the awning rail alone" is relevant within context.

It's good to know the OP's  damp was spotted early anyway. 

Posted (edited)

I thought being glued together damp was an impossibility.

On my 2016 Pastiche 575 at the lower offside is the Alde vent, then inside boiler. Could either of these be the cause?

Damp or damp reading?

Edited by Wellys and Mac

7 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

I thought being glued together damp was an impossibility.

On my 2016 Pastiche 575 at the lower offside is the Alde vent, then inside boiler. Could either of these be the cause?

Damp or damp reading?

Even the slightest break in the glue layer can cause a leak, as can any impurity on the surface causing the glue to fail to stick.

The seal round the vent could also cause a leak if there was a failure or break in the sealant layer.

I am afraid that the glue has to be correctly applied to be watertight just like sealant on other makes and given speed is often put ahead of quality in the industry, leaks if not the norm are common to the different makes looking at the forums. Given the cost of rectification you would have thought it was cheaper to get it right but apparently not.

So, the update.  The NCC Approved technician took a reading of 40 of the damp area when he serviced the van.  His advice was to take the 'van  back to the dealer for action.  

I took it to the dealer who said they could get a reading of no more than 25.  They did however confirm that any reading over 15 should be monitored.  The dealer said that there should be an obvious outward sign of damp on a reading of 40.  The NCC technician said there was a tide mark.  The dealer could find no tide mark.  

The dealer reminded me that there is a 10 year bodywork guarantee on a new Coachman and they were happy for me to pop into the dealership when I was passing and they would monitor the area closely.  

Should I be happy with this advice? 

It is possible for a reading of 40 to be the result of short term condensation on top of a longer term 25, add to that one of the meters not being as accurate as it should be.

I suggest regular monitoring of that area and buy your own meter! 

27 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I suggest regular monitoring of that area and buy your own meter! 

Think I saw a damp meter at Aldi will check on next visit, if they one are they any good?

A few on here use a Brennenstuhl meter, £20.39 from Machine Mart. I got one for less on -line but when the postage was included it cost a bit more https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/brennenstuhl-moisture-detector-md/?da=1&TC=GS-010918680&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLfh8OG65wIVDbDtCh3wqQ4REAQYASABEgI3NvD_BwE

Thanks guys!  Have ordered the suggested meter and will keep the area closely monitored!