Sign in to follow this  
humberflyer

Tow Bar fitting in the Poole, Dorset area

Picking up a new Skoda Octavia Estate tomorrow

Any recomendations on Tow Bar fitting in the Poole area

Have looked at The Towbar Centre and Dolphin Towbars

Looking at a Swan neck, your thoughts on fixed or detachable, I've never had a detachable

Any problems re the rear parking sensors on the Octy

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice

I have used the Towbar centre a number of times over the years and local dealerships use them without issues .

Rear parking sensors is best to ask the fitting company as they will have experience if they are a problem .

Dave

Just make sure they wire for FULL electrics not just the light boards otherwise you wont be able yo put your fridge on while towing and it won't charge the battery.

Posted (edited)

I had a detachable on my last car a Merc 220D saloon, never again to either, two bad decisions, Fixed Swan Neck every time 

Edited by Les Medes

45 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I had a detachable on my last car a Merc 220D saloon, never again to either, two bad decisions, Fixed Swan Neck every time 

Care to expand why re the tow bar? I have one and not had any problems with it. I chose it so I don't bash my shins when not in use.

I've had poor and bad towbar installs until we discovered Phil Taylor Towbars in Chichester.

Now had three fitted by them and all outstanding. Certainly worth an hour or twos drive...

Merc E220 saloon, too low in the rear, the detachable sits lower than a fixed swan neck as confirmed by the manufacturer, every time I went over a speed bump, solo or towing the bar bottomed out, chunks of metal broke away from the bar

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Good job the OP has bought a Skoda Octavia then 😂😂

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Good job the OP has bought a Skoda Octavia then 😂😂

Nothing wrong with Skoda, I used to rally one with the help of the UK works team based in Buckingham and at the time most people thought they were a joke

3 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Nothing wrong with Skoda,

Who said there was any thing wrong with a Skoda?

9 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Who said there was any thing wrong with a Skoda?

the point I was making if you are interested, is that IMO Skoda  are more suitable for a tow car than Mercedes.

"Happy" New Year

49 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

the point I was making if you are interested, is that IMO Skoda  are more suitable for a tow car than Mercedes.

"Happy" New Year

I pulled a caravan for 42 months with a Mercedes and had no issues whatsoever with the car or the towbar, having never towed with a Skoda I have no an opinion as to whether it would make a more suitable tow car than the Mercedes!

I guess the next question is, have you ever towed with a Skoda to be able to make a that comparison, because unless you have how can you have formed an opinion?

I wouldn't start quoting the Caravan Club awards or any other magazine examples to make your point as you did say it was IMO!

Fred Drift again! The OP, (humberflyer), only wanted recommendations for towbar fitters and whether to have detachable or fixed, NOT to discuss his choice of tow car.

I have a towbar beeing fitted on Friday to my new (to me) Outlander HPEV. Ordered it direct from the Witter website, they deliver it to the fitter and he comes to the house to fit it. £600.53p, less than local garages were asking.

I have had two towbar fitted at the Towbar Centre. No issues with either.