Sign in to follow this  
stephendutton63

Tow Pro Cover

Hello just looking for advice 

I know the tow pro covers are sold as van specific and please excuse this if it's a silly question 

But would a unicorn cover fit a pegasus van how different are they 

Thanks Steve 

Posted (edited)

I think the Unicorn is wider than the Pegasus, unless you are loking at the 8 ft wide one.

Edited by 664DaveS

7 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

I think the Unicorn is wider than the Pegasus, unless you are loking at the 8 ft wide one.

hi dont think its wider ,,its the position of the side lights i not sure of ,,its not 8ft ,,just checked its 5mm wider 

Do the lights need to be on view ? Was thinking universal covers wouldn't always expose the lights 

43 minutes ago, stephendutton63 said:

Do the lights need to be on view ? Was thinking universal covers wouldn't always expose the lights 

Yes! That's often the problem with universal covers.

So are you saying it isn't legal and all the universal covers should not be used 

If having certain lights on when it's dark is a legal requirement then then I expect that something which covers them up when its dark makes it illegal. I suppose that a front towing cover that obstruct the front markers lights is probably OK assuming that you don't tow during the hours of darkness. 

However towing with a full cover which obstructs the brake, tail and indicator lights is another matter as they need to be visible during the day

Thanks for the helpful replies 

Which does raise an interesting question if towing with a front universal cover in the dark is illegal or not 

1 hour ago, stephendutton63 said:

So are you saying it isn't legal and all the universal covers should not be used 

All towing covers need widows for the lights if they are to be used at night. If the windows in a universal cover are big enough and in the right place fine, but this cannot be taken for granted.

A few years back, I looked at universal covers. These were offered with LED lights rather than light windows. Seemed a good idea. However I saw something somewhere that suggests that trailer lights must be switched via the tow vehicle to comply with the law, effectively making the LED lights illegal for road use

13 hours ago, Stevan said:

All towing covers need widows for the lights if they are to be used at night. If the windows in a universal cover are big enough and in the right place fine, but this cannot be taken for granted.

ROAD LEGAL

To make sure you are road legal and can be seen whilst travelling during the day or night, we provide push-in LED eye lights and reflective strips for you to make sure you’re safe and towing legally.

That was from the website ( official ) selling tow pro lite cover 

52 minutes ago, stephendutton63 said:

ROAD LEGAL

To make sure you are road legal and can be seen whilst travelling during the day or night, we provide push-in LED eye lights and reflective strips for you to make sure you’re safe and towing legally.

That was from the website ( official ) selling tow pro lite cover 

I do not doubt that reputable manufacturers take great care to ensure that users of their products can remain road legal. The same cannot necessarily be said for the makers of cheap universal covers.

Tow pro I believe maintain a data base where you can contact them and they will tell you what vans a specific cover will fit. 

On 07/01/2020 at 22:20, stephendutton63 said:

Thanks for the helpful replies 

Which does raise an interesting question if towing with a front universal cover in the dark is illegal or not 

It's a legal requirement that they have to show front lights and reflectors and in daylight hours lights are required under some weather conditions and tunnels .

I think I read the lights have to able to be operated from the drivers seat .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Tow pro are briliant; just check with them-recently sold a 2017 pegasus towing cover and from memory they are different widths and don't fit! 

If you telephone Tow Pro you may find that, like awnings, if they are very similar they can be adapted to fit. Just a thought but costs incl postage might make it too costly!

I think we have decided to buy the dedicated cover for our van. That way all issues raised here will be covered 

Thanks again for the excellent and informative advice 

Steve 

Good move you won't be disappointed . 

1 hour ago, stephendutton63 said:

I think we have decided to buy the dedicated cover for our van. That way all issues raised here will be covered 

Thanks again for the excellent and informative advice 

Steve 

Our new caravan came with a bespoke (fancy logo on front) Tow Pro + cover.

Not used one before, well impressed.

I always wash the caravan front and leather it immediately before fitting no matter how clean it looks to make sure that there is no scratchable debris on the front.

Arrived after one motorway trip in heavy rain and traffic filth so I washed it with my caravan brush and warm slightly soapy water in situ, all of the filth run off, let it drain overnight, took it off the next day, aired it and re-bagged it ready for the next trip.

Just make sure you store it back in its bag with the inside surface folded face to face.

You have made a good decision.

Thank you for the help 

Griff good tips on storage etc appreciated 

On 11/01/2020 at 09:25, Griff said:

Our new caravan came with a bespoke (fancy logo on front) Tow Pro + cover.

Not used one before, well impressed.

I always wash the caravan front and leather it immediately before fitting no matter how clean it looks to make sure that there is no scratchable debris on the front.

Arrived after one motorway trip in heavy rain and traffic filth so I washed it with my caravan brush and warm slightly soapy water in situ, all of the filth run off, let it drain overnight, took it off the next day, aired it and re-bagged it ready for the next trip.

Just make sure you store it back in its bag with the inside surface folded face to face.

You have made a good decision.

I have just had a new one delivered as the previous one is worn out.

The instructions say fold it with the outer surface face to face and the picture shows it going into the bag with the inner surface showing.

It also came with two clips which look like clothes pegs but no mention of what to do with them, I have emailed them to ask what they are for.

Ian

39 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

......The instructions say fold it with the outer surface face to face and the picture shows it going into the bag with the inner surface showing.........

Ian

I think folding with inner face to inner, the cleanest face, is probably better as the two inner faces are then shut off to any contamination by debris etc.

When on the outside of the folding, can always pick bits up from being dropped onto the ground or whatever, inside to inside helps prevent this but I am always open to other sound reasoning. :)

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think folding with inner face to inner, the cleanest face, is probably better as the two inner faces are then shut off to any contamination by debris etc.

When on the outside of the folding, can always pick bits up from being dropped onto the ground or whatever, inside to inside helps prevent this but I am always open to other sound reasoning. :)

The important thing is not to alternate between dirty side in and dirty side out.

Once you fold dirty side out, you risk transferring grit to the inside of the bag. If you later fold clean side out you risk transferring the grit back to the inside of the cover.

6 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The important thing is not to alternate between dirty side in and dirty side out..........

Spot on.

Instructions I have state wipe off excess dirt, then fold to keep the inner surfaces  together with the outside surface into the bag. This keeps the inside surface as clean as possible. 

• +1 1