Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Dometic vent covers

I have these vent covers on my van, but can’t work out how to remove them - I’m sure it’s easy, but I’m scared of using force and breaking some little plastic tabs that aren’t obvious.

B49569F1-3399-464E-BECF-248B199190A4.thumb.jpeg.d6957c6f4e5972f39c748c8c035b12fd.jpeg

TIA, John.

On the right hand side is a separate part covering the fridge vent, use a small screwdriver to ease the bottom edge up slightly and pull forward. Then remove the plastic fridge exhaust cover.

On the left hand end is a slide lock, slide that downwards and ease the vent cover out.

14 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I have these vent covers on my van, but can’t work out how to remove them - I’m sure it’s easy, but I’m scared of using force and breaking some little plastic tabs that aren’t obvious.

B49569F1-3399-464E-BECF-248B199190A4.thumb.jpeg.d6957c6f4e5972f39c748c8c035b12fd.jpeg

TIA, John.

Slide the plastic clip on RHS of photo upwards and ease vent on from that side. There will be slots in the opposite side which locate into small tabs on the frame of the vent. The clip pushes over a plastic pin which is also moulded into the frame of the vent which attached to the caravan and these clips are stiff so to prevent a problem either warm up the clip area with a hairdryer or remove it when there is sun on the vent to help prevent breaking off the plastic pin.

Thanks Brecon and Volvovanner.

John

13 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Thanks Brecon and Volvovanner.

John

Just noticed i referred to the plastic clip being on RHS of photo, it is of course on LHS, apologies for any confusion.

48 minutes ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Just noticed i referred to the plastic clip being on RHS of photo, it is of course on LHS, apologies for any confusion.

Yes, did spot that, and it did throw me for about 30 seconds until my 70-year-old brain caught up 😁

John

Quite warm(-ish) at storage this afternoon, so I took a risk that the plastic wouldn’t be too brittle - and the vent covers came off a treat. Even though you disagreed on the direction to move the clips (it was upwards), thanks again for the tips which gave me the confidence to use the little extra force necessary.

John

Should the edges of these vent covers be mastic’d... what is the waterproof system inside the vent?

The inner frame flange is sealed with mastic to the van wall. The cover just clips onto the frame

These 3 photos show the main frame, then with the vent clipped in, and finally with the winter covers fixed on …

C57A3F58-5F2D-4A08-A93E-12D2925F268D.thumb.jpeg.da14cd34e3520f13874aff7345b13e59.jpeg          FE5B2C72-70DB-4E73-963A-F09568F82F4D.thumb.jpeg.2ec757219a4a03fd64dc4135d08e21d6.jpeg           B82EE275-00FE-467E-B1E5-F42405E620FB.thumb.jpeg.2486f541a129612b53a5df5523f64813.jpeg

John